Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-01-2009, 21:59

Talking Jet2 flights too cheap to miss!

Rather than stay at home I agree with Smiddy. Jet2 flights start from Newcastle to Palma on 4th April and presumably they've got no one to bring back on that Saturday 4th or Sunday 5th because we've bagged some flights back for 99p on the Sunday. Even with taxes its only 23 Euro each! It costs a bit more to get out there but it's going to take my mind off the credit crunch for 5 days!

Last edited by ryansclan; 22-01-2009 at 22:03.
Sponsored Links
Old 22-01-2009, 22:13

Smile

Hello

As everyone else says would rather cut back a little at home and still have the wonderful anticipation of my holiday in the port to look forward to !!
Like everyone else my hubby and I work hard and our holiday would be the last thing to go.

Plan to have bottle or two of wine !! sitting on the balcony before heading out for dinner and maybe be more selective about which restaurants.

But would not miss my holiday to PP for the world we love it too much
Old 22-01-2009, 22:42

Stay at home...hell no!! I need my pp fix and had already booked last year to go back on the Pine walk for me and himself, 2 weeks in April, also a family week in Alcudia....I would rather make the savings at home....as we are of a certain age we don't really do the tourist thing so are really happy just relaxing and walking, and do make good use of the menu of the day. We have been coming to this part of the world for may years, even when the kids were small, over 30 years ago now, and we did'nt have much money then, but we always had lovely quality family time together, simple things are always the best.
Old 22-01-2009, 23:40

Well, I guess it's me who's bucking the trend then, as I honestly can't see us holidaying in PP this year. We definitely won't be renting a villa unless prices come down drastically between now and the school holidays in July and August.

At the moment we have no plans but I'm not upset - we've had some fantastic holidays in the last couple of years and enjoyed ourselves immensely with great meals and many memories to get us through this year. I'm sure visiting the PP forum every day and reading all the posts will keep us in the loop!

However, never say never! If the price is right and funds allow, we may book a last minute holiday to PP in the summer!
Old 23-01-2009, 00:30

Sadly as an ex bank employee with most of my savings in shares - I guess you know what my position is at the moment I've spent many happy holidays in PP for many years but have had to cut my cloth to suit and holiday in the UK this year. I don't fell too bad (I'm trying to convince myself that I don't but I do really) but onwards and upwards there will be better times ahead I'm sure.

I know there are many folks who have more serious problems than where they might be holidaying this year so this really puts my moans to shame when you think about it.
Old 23-01-2009, 00:38

I cant really see us going to PP either this year. Even tho weve had a fantastic offer for an apt, the flights just havnt come down , and i dont care what anyone says, eating out in PP is going to be expensive this year. Not just PP, but Europe in general. So unless i can find a really great deal on the flight, it looks like it could be the Lake District again.
Old 23-01-2009, 07:25

We normally book the apartment in September and the flights soon after when they are normally cheaper but this year First Choice flights have remained well over £100 more than we paid last year with Ryanair and Easyjet similar prices and the apartment we stayed in last year has also shot up in price due to the weak pound so we are waiting to see how things go before we book
Old 23-01-2009, 07:53

For us it's something of a waiting game. Would hate to miss a trip to PP for the first time since '96, but the prices are generally a little hot for our liking.

We have just booked a short break to the Costa Blanca for next month to let the increasingly mobile Little Chipper run around like a maniac in slightly warmer climes, but that was, how shall I put it, cost effective!

We'll probably take the plunge sometime in the Spring - just hope there's a little drop in the prices by then.
Old 23-01-2009, 11:37

Well Pollensa, you certainly got a response to your post and it would seem that there are quite a few stalwart PP fans who are having to forgo their annual fix this year.

The restaurant/hotel/apartment owners are also going to feel the pinch if they don't try to meet the tourists at least some of the way by lessening their profit to attract trade. What's the point in charging top bucks and not having any custom when the cafe next door is cheaper and heaving! Everyone will be looking for value for money this year. I appreciate that technically the weakness of the GBP is not their problem but it does become their problem when it affects trade.

It's a hard time for everybody at the moment, so lets all try to make sure that PP does not become a ghost town (not that I think that would ever happen).

Tourists - cut your cloth to your budget - menu of the day - water instead of wine

Traders - Please try to encourage custom by sympathetic prices.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:36
Super Moderator

I totally agree Whaley, some of the prices apartment and villa owners are charging is crazy, i have been told many are very worried because they are not getting the bookings. Surely it makes more sense to have a bit less profit than no money at all.
I know it's great to sit in a frontline restaurant, dining and enjoying the view but you are paying dear for that. For much cheaper meals of great quality go to the back street ones, you can save a fortune.
Old 23-01-2009, 13:18

Fortunately we do not have to factor in accomodation costs and we will be out as usual Feb. half term, Easter, July and a weekend in Nov. Well the wife and daughter will - me only feb. at present. Our son is coming over in June with some university mates, so probably best to give the island a miss then!

We shall probably use the Barbie more and maybe cut down the spending during the day. But we do enjoy our meals out and may look at cheaper restaurants and MDD (do not usually do the MMD)

As someone who imports from europe for a living I am looking at potentially reduces income of several K, but I am still alive!

And do not forget that for those who go in July/August there is still 5-6 months for the £ to rally - although it is at the present time heading down again!

GG
Old 23-01-2009, 19:28

We, like many others, are feeling the pinch at the moment with work tight and eldest going to Uni in September. We usually have booked our flights back in November but as yet cannot find ones cheap enough!!! Apartment has been booked as we always book the same two weeks, but with the melt-down coming with the recession, we cannot see how PP will be as busy as usual.
Here's hoping we will be able to meet with the usual crowd in July....
Old 23-01-2009, 22:12

Hi

Like Gommar G we also do not have to worry about accommodation costs. We booked our flights early - the day Easyjet released them. However, having had an awful week at work the only thing that kept me going was the thought of April and PP. I think we may well not eat out as much - but hey, we are still in PP.

On the up side we bought our apartment at around €1.50 to the pound with a sterling mortgage so all is not lost! That's what I tell myself anyway!

Roll on April.

Sharon

PS Even my four year-old was asking when our next holiday was going to be. When asked why him why he said the weekend wasn't long enough! He loves school - not!
Old 23-01-2009, 22:18

I should have included this in my previous posting but I for one hope Jane manages to make it to PP this year.

Jane - I will really miss your excellent restaurant reviews if you don't manage it.
Old 24-01-2009, 00:12

Booked our apartment in Bellresguard when we returned to UK in August. Priced in GBP so not affected by fall in exchange rate from that point of view. Will eat in more often and BBQ on the roof terrace, but its my big five-o so will splash out for a night at C'an Cuarassa. Flights also booked with BMI from LHR for approx. GBP 750 for four of us. Already looking forward to my early morning stroll along the Pine Walk and swim in the pool. We are all looking forward to coming back and will be there for La Patrona, a fantastic experience that costs little! I can imagine local owners who rent to people from the UK or run restaurants will feel the pinch of course. We will enjoy our holiday, although spending money will not go as far this time around. We will see if lack of visitors this year will put a downward pressure on prices in the resort.