Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-10-2008, 10:50

Unhappy Credit Crunch Blues...

Today the Bulletin is reporting that no UK travel agants will be running holiday bookings for the 2nd half of the winter break this year!

Having sat and watched my pension fund shrivel in recent weeks & months, my only ray of hope is thoughts of sunny days in PP, so I don't want to hear this kind of news! But it is inevitable that this will be a repeating theme over the coming months... the main impact of The Crunch is still to bite I fear...who knows what places we all know and love may have changed hands (or closed..) by the start of next year's season...

Friends of ours bought in Llenaire at the peak (hol home), stretching themselves in the process...they are now up the creek as prices are sliding in Mallorca with no-one buying, while in the UK they have seen their equity shrink rapidly... they are now very worried that their dream has fast become a financial millstone...

I sincerely hope that no-one on this forum finds themselves in similar positions..

I'm off to look at the webcam to cheer myself up!

Last edited by shotokan; 13-10-2008 at 10:52.
Sponsored Links
Old 13-10-2008, 11:58

Smile

Hi Shokotan,
Yes it does sound very depressing indeed - but what I try to do every day is to look at all the things I have to be thankful for - I can see, I can hear, I can run (well just about), walk and talk. I have lovely friends and family. I live in a beautiful location and I always think about TODAY. Because today, I am OK - I could worry like mad about tomorrow and what it might bring but, just for today 'all is well'
Sorry if I sound completly loony - and yes I do have worries - especially for my son and his young family and I care desperately about them, but you do have to have a balance and not get too gloomy.
At least we are not at war and about to get blown up any minute, or hungry or cold or lonely.
Just a quick word of advice for your friends in PP. with the apartment. We owned holiday apartments for many years here in Newquay and survived the 1990's crisis with the most enormous bank loan (interest rates charged at 18%)- by adjusting our rental price to the financial situation by keeping prices low. Its better to be full and a bit cheaper than having an apartment just standing empty.
Keep smiling...........
Sue.
Old 13-10-2008, 12:52

Hi Susieb,

You don't sound a 'loony' at all....I love an optimist and I guess that is the answer, to look at the positives or we would indeed go 'loony'.
Old 13-10-2008, 15:40

Default Credit Crunch

Yep! Health is REAL wealth. Sorry if anybody is caught up in this unfortunate situation, the main thing is try not to worry, what good does it do? I've given up watching the news, to depressing, but as my old granny used to say "We've never died a winter yet". Meaning, why worry, we'll get there.
Old 14-10-2008, 07:05

Smile

Shotokan

Your friends that have bought etc they have not lost anything unless they are trying to sell. As others have said focus on what you have and regarding the crunch then the adjustment to house prices was long overdue as was the need to put money down to buy houses.

Rangers1
Old 14-10-2008, 09:19

Completely agree with your 'live for today' comments... and that's exactly what we try to do!

However I guess when the media headlines translate into harsh personal experience everything becomes more real..Our small IT firm is under increasing pressure from reducing sales (not surprising given no-one wants to spend these days..), so we were told yesterday that a series of redundancies will have to be made from our close knit team of 30 or so staff from next week. Many who go may never work again given local prospects and age profiles...

..and the problem for my friends is that things are now getting very tight for them and they are now close to taking a neg equity hit that they can ill afford... if they can sell in the current market of course...

...but agreed, tough times mean it's time to be touch and get the old head up..and look on the bright side...flights are booked for next year!

...by the way Rangers1..love the name! Mibbe the Gers will waken up again and give us both something to smile about...LOL!
Old 14-10-2008, 09:32

Default Credit Crunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1 View Post
Shotokan

Your friends that have bought etc they have not lost anything unless they are trying to sell. As others have said focus on what you have and regarding the crunch then the adjustment to house prices was long overdue as was the need to put money down to buy houses.

Rangers1
The whole "my house is worth ???" syndrome was getting a bit embarassing, people were getting carried away, unless you move downwards and release the equity then what difference does it make?..... none at all. Personaly i'm delighted house prices are falling, how else are our children going to be able to afford somewhere to live?
Old 14-10-2008, 11:34
Founder

Hi guys,

I do realise that this a very topical issue & one that affects us all - including pp.com But please can we keep this thread related to PP, holiday homes etc. & perhaps how it affects your visits to PP.

I'm sure that you'll be able to discuss it in general at the Tapas Bar.

Thanks very much & keep smiling...
Old 14-10-2008, 12:11

Yes - this is exactly the sort of topic that can be discussed on the Tapas Bar so please feel free to register and share your views!

We're a friendly bunch!

Jane
Old 15-10-2008, 09:59

Am I missing something?...or does the forum title 'Miscellaneous' not suggest that a wide variety of topics can be openly discussed as long as they are connected with issues that are affecting both PP (i.e. my original message indicated the impact the economic situation was having on travel agency holiday arrangements and also the impact on friends who had purchased property recently)?

Old 15-10-2008, 11:44

I've sent you a PM.

Jane
Old 15-10-2008, 12:07

Thanks Jane...sorry for straying, but at least it ended up with me finding the Tapas Bar, which looks really good!! (highly recommend it to any regular visitors to the site that haven't found it yet!)
x
Old 15-10-2008, 14:51
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
Am I missing something?...or does the forum title 'Miscellaneous' not suggest that a wide variety of topics can be openly discussed as long as they are connected with issues that are affecting both PP (i.e. my original message indicated the impact the economic situation was having on travel agency holiday arrangements and also the impact on friends who had purchased property recently)?

Shotokan, you're not missing anything. Your first post in this thread was very relevant and appropriate for this forum. Unfortunately subsequent posts became more general and the whole thread started veering off topic. So please, all of you, do carry on posting your views with regards how the Credit Crunch (& the Exchange Rate) is affecting people's holidays to PP, issues with property ownership, living in PP etc. Thanks.
Old 15-10-2008, 16:35

Default good deals ?

With many travel companies going bust a lot of hotels will have a lot of empty rooms which they need to fill ( see todays dailly bulletin .) Providing you are prepared to do some spadework and possibly look to arrange your own holiday rather than going through a travel agent it might mean there are some very good deals to be had ???