Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-01-2009, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonh View Post
I should have included this in my previous posting but I for one hope Jane manages to make it to PP this year.

Jane - I will really miss your excellent restaurant reviews if you don't manage it.
Thank you, Sharon!

I did take a peek at private villas and apartments yesterday in my lunch hour so you never know!

Jane
Sponsored Links
Old 24-01-2009, 12:43

Hi Jane - I've sent you a PM.
Old 24-01-2009, 13:21

We had planned to book for a month, sending my two kids out with my parents in advance with my wife and I joining later. However a number issues arose including my fathers slow recovery from illness, my brothers announcement of his wedding in Rhodes in May and a credit crunch and we have now plumped for two weeks in late July/ Early August for the six of us in a three bedroom apartment in Llenaire.

We tend to eat on the balcony at Breakfast and Lunch and eat dinner out ever second night. This year we have a roof terrace with BBQ so we may reduce our eating out to one night in three and stick to some of the evening MDD's on offer. However, as many others have said, we love the island of Mallorca and PP in particular and my boys have made great friends in PP who they look forward to meeting up with every year. My wife and I also have close Mallorquin friends who we enjoy catching up with, the one year we chose Catalonia instead, we really missed the island. I think we earn it and look forward to my trip every year.
Old 24-01-2009, 15:49
Founder

Thanks for all these great replies.

For our part, we still instead to visit several times a year for short breaks as these suit us with our business commitments. As there are only 2 of us now (most of the time) & we're flexible with dates (both running businesses), we tend to go by the cheapest flights & take it from there. I use skyscanner - you'll now see a great search banner at the top of the Flights Forum - I like the graph that shows the cheapest days often Tue or Wed - & we cope with handluggage only! - see my great Great Packing Tips!

We do now choose the cheapest car, have eaten MDD for a while anyway - lunch time is cheaper then evenings - but intend to cook ever so often now. But what we have done is put any other trips on hold (we fancied a cruise on the Norwegian Fjords so maybe next year!).

For those who are finding difficult to travel this year, I did wonder if you had looked at other options e.g.
  • hotel or aparthotel with meals or, dare I say it, All-Inclusive & escaping to eat out once in a while - we used to do that - the big travel cos are trying very hard at the moment & Thomas Cook have a Balearics Sale this weekend - see Latest Holidays Deals
  • Or flying on a different cheaper day of the week & either trying to get a villa on a different changeover date (ask the owner as you never know) or staying in a hotel at the end/beginning of the trip - we have done that too.

I haven't compared prices on any of these options but some of these may be something you hadn't considered before.
Old 24-01-2009, 17:06

Smile Holiday this year in PP.

Hi there.
We are fortunate to be able to come to PP at least 3 times in a year, but I know that unless eating out will be more competitive, (due to the state of the British Pound) we will be eating in a lot more. This also means we will be unable to visit PP as often as we would like.

Come on you Restaurant Owners, enable us to visit/and eat out, slash your prices! There is a difference between making a profit and being greedy! I am sure there will be many of us PP lovers who are in the same boat. If things get more expensive, tourism will suffer and we all know where that leads.

I love PP and would be devastated if I couldn't visit.
Old 24-01-2009, 20:09

I will be on my first visit to PP in June and staying in a villa. We normally eat out every night but will probably shop and eat in/bbq to save some money. When we do go out in the evening, I will be looking for good value among the bars and restaurants

I cant imagine not having a holiday though despite the credit crunch, its nice to have something to look forward to.
Old 25-01-2009, 15:41

We booked on our return last year and surprise surprise it was actually
cheaper than the holiday just returned from. Eating out for people
already in the euro zone wont be too bad either even if the prices have increased when you consider a chinese take away in Ireland for four main
courses can cost more than 40 euros, a big difference to paying not too
much more and having drinks and possibly desert depending on where you go.
Old 26-01-2009, 08:10

Smile

Ok so the Euro v the Pound is not good but if you stay at home the price will be the same or there abouts as going into the euro zone, plus in PP you will get the weather.

I get annoyed at the over use of the words credit crunch the way i look at it is, if you are still in work and your are in the same situation as 14 months ago,you could still be on your fixed rate mortgage or if you have coime off that you are on the SVR mortgage or a tracker ,then you were ok with your fixed rate, if you are on the svr or tracker then you are better off, petrol has come down. Like others have said i will watch the pennies at home if i need to but a holiday for the crew is at the top of the list. I do understand the problems self employed have before anyone shouts that one up. As for places dropping prices in PP cant see that happening although it would be good.
Old 26-01-2009, 09:42
Founder

I don't want to go off-topic & discuss the use of the term 'Credit Crunch'. However the UK is technically in recession. If you are in work and the company you work for is secure then you are very lucky. Unfortunately many people are affected as they either run businesses or work for ones that are suffering. Others are retired & living on savings that are generating much less income due to lower interest rates.

Here at Holiday Webs, income from holiday bookings is down by about 25% on last Jan, usually our best month. Fortunately income is up in other areas - we have more rentals this year as more owners need to cover Euro mortgages with GBP income. But we are affected & if I had many employees their jobs would be at risk.

Anyway, sales of holidays did pick up last week & we do seem to be selling quite a lot of package holidays this year so maybe February will be our peak month in 2009!
Old 26-01-2009, 16:40

Hi

It was just my take on the whole thing and i did not want to make light of anyone being out of work and thats why i stated what i did. I think in future I will keep my own thoughts to myself.

Thought this was a forum how wrong can i be.

Last edited by Rangers1; 27-01-2009 at 20:13.
Old 27-01-2009, 11:43

Default Credit Crunch

Rangers 1, at least 1 member agrees with you
Old 27-01-2009, 15:22

I agree Rangers 1 we shall also be visiting again this year on 2 occasions, we are lucky as jobs are safe and our tracker mortgage down. I would far rather spend our 2 weeks holiday in PP than anywhere else. Like you we feel for those who are suffering and hope this is a transient period.

Pansy
Old 27-01-2009, 18:16

Hi smiddy, Where are you getting 107 euros for a pound. The latest rate is 1.067 which is as good as a pound for a euro. As for holiday cost this year i fear folk are in for a massive shock. Having just come back from one weeks break i have to say it is now cheaper to eat and drink in this country by a mile. Who would have thought you would see the day when you would pay £1-£2 pounds more in spanish supermarkets for a bottle of olive oil than in the uk and a loaf of bread costing £2 (and thats not british makes ). Its a massive wake up call when you browse menus at 10, 12 , 15, Euros etc- a plate and realise you are now talking pounds. The real shame is the bar owners i spoke to think it will not affect their trade as they have not put up the prices from last year. I tried to explain that the problem was with us and not them but it did not seem to sink in. I did exactly the same this year as last and it cost me an extra £300 and i can assure you guys i do not eat in expensive places.As for wine with meals even house wine is around £12 and if your looking at names you are talking around £15 -£20.Still every cloud has a silver lining and the fact thats there is a chance it might do some damage to that pillock who owns the tex-mex is alright by me.
Old 28-01-2009, 10:20
Super Moderator

Hi Pollensafan, when you are here next time go to Mercadona in Alcudia we paid 90 cents for a loaf of bread, in general their prices are a lot cheaper than Eroski ( Cabrabo).
As for drinks you can still find bars that are very cheap for drinks, in Trotters a large glass of wine is €1:50 and a large spirit and mixer is €4. If you go to the Gotmar area, El Ancla and Ikebana are even cheaper. All serve large measures of branded spirits.
Old 28-01-2009, 11:08

Also if you have a hire car you could do a big shop in one of the hypermarkets in Palma such as Alcampo or Carrefore the prices in these places are much less than PP and the variety of food and wine much wider. We go on the way back from Valledemossa or Soller or include it when we go over to Ikea. The fresh fruit and veg in the markets is always good value too.

Pansy