Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-06-2012, 10:01

Default Problem with renting Pine Walk apartment

We've been to Puerto Pollensa several times and often stay in properties advertised on the ownersdirect web site

This year we are taking my wife's mother along too so need something suitable as she is 82
We've booked flights for Friday 20th July and return on Saturday 28th

I spotted a nice looking apartment on ownersdirect ( ref B3729 ) (search on owners direct)
I know exactly where this is on the Pine Walk and the advertiser had been on there since March 2009, so it all looked fine

I contacted the owner and sent a deposit by bank transfer in early June
Since then I have heard absolutely nothing - no reply to emails - ringing the phone number just plays a recorded message

Either something has happened to the owner or I'm being ripped off for the deposit (514 euros)
My main concern is that we turn up with nowhere to stay, not good with two kids and a pensioner to look after

I've been in touch with ownersdirect but it looks to me like they just send emails and ring the phone number like I've been doing

Does anyone have any idea who actually owns this apartment?

The "owner" gave me a name and address in Alcudia - if anyone's interested in playing detective let me know and I'll PM you details

Last edited by pollensa; 28-06-2012 at 10:19. Reason: direct link removed
Sponsored Links
Old 28-06-2012, 10:21
Founder

As you say this sounds like there should be no problem & maybe the owner is sick or away. Am afraid we cannot allow a direct link to the advert but it is easy to find by searching on the site. Hopefully someone can help you here.

Please don't post photos or other info from other websites as it breaches copyright law - thanks.
Sparky likes this.

Last edited by pollensa; 28-06-2012 at 11:49.
Old 28-06-2012, 12:50

As Pollensa says there may be a very logical explanation to this. Owners Direct do not become involved with anything as stated in their terms of business, they just act as a middle man introducing renters to properties. Their name implies that the properties they advertised are owned by individuals but on closer look this is not always the case and many rental agents and companies are advertising their property on the site too. An annual fee is charged for the inclusion of a property and that is where their involvement would end. The fact that they have actually attempted to contact the person is good but as you say not anything that you yourself haven't already done yourself.
I notice with this particular property that their is no name is given and the phone number is a mobile number and not a land line. This again is not reason to worry but the concern is that being a mobile the expectation would be that if it is ringing then it should be answered. I would suggest that you do a search on other rental sites to see if the property is advertised elsewhere and if so if the details are the same as those given to you. I see that you have paid the deposit. Most owners ask for the remainder of the rental fee to be paid 6-8 weeks prior to arrival. Therefore you should hear from these people soon for their money. I would suggest that you feel very comfortable before completing the transaction.
I hope very much that this sorts itself out for you and please do keep us up to date. Good luck.
El Gordo, lollipop and tibbles like this.
Old 28-06-2012, 13:57

The name of the advertiser is Spanish, the home address in Alcudia
According to ownersdirect it's the same phone number as always used and there haven't been any complaints until now
The payment arrangement was 514 euros deposit + 1200 in cash on arrival (yes a typical Spanish practice)
The bank account is at Colonya Caixa d´Estalvis de Pollença

Bit worried now as only 3 weeks until we fly
Old 28-06-2012, 14:10

That sounds positive if its the same phone number & no complaints. I think Pollensa may be right & they are on holiday (spanish schools have broken up now haven't they?) Try not to worry, sure it will all work out ok.
Old 28-06-2012, 15:40

I'm sure all will be ok Bazzatron but if I were you I would continue to call them. A mobile number which is still ringing is obviously being charged. Of course it may well be if they are Spanish their English may not be good enough to understand your message. Perhaps you might send them a short text message as they may find it clearer to read English? As you say the deposit was quite normal as is the Spanish way of cash on arrival too. I'm sure all will be fine and perhaps you may find others on this site might have first hand knowledge of the property and the people. Many members are constantly back and forth and may be able to reassure you.
Old 28-06-2012, 15:48

..and at least you haven't got to send anymore money before you arrive, hopefully it will work out OK, keep us informed! Looks a lovely aparment
eleanor likes this.

On island time!!
Old 28-06-2012, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzatron View Post
The name of the advertiser is Spanish, the home address in Alcudia
According to ownersdirect it's the same phone number as always used and there haven't been any complaints until now
The payment arrangement was 514 euros deposit + 1200 in cash on arrival (yes a typical Spanish practice)
The bank account is at Colonya Caixa d´Estalvis de Pollença

Bit worried now as only 3 weeks until we fly
Paying 1200 euros in cash on arrival.Is this so that they can defraud the taxman?.Surely not.
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 28-06-2012, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo66 View Post
Paying 1200 euros in cash on arrival.Is this so that they can defraud the taxman?.Surely not.
Done this numerous times with Spanish apartments/villas

If renting from Brits they always want the money 6 weeks beforehand, which is a bit like paying for your dinner before you've eaten it
Sparky and RobnAnna like this.
Old 28-06-2012, 20:11
Super Moderator

Yes we always paid Spanish/Mallorcan owners in cash while we were there, most of them don't seem to trust the banks......i wonder why .
lollipop, clinkham and Rosie34 like this.
Old 01-07-2012, 18:48

We are having similar concerns about somewhere we have booked through holiday lettings. We have paid our deposit and had an invoice come over confirming receipt via email but since returning the booking contract in june we have had no further contact from them. I can understand your concerns as we have a 4 year old son and the thought of getting there and having no accomodation is not nice.
Old 01-07-2012, 20:48

We booked our apartment on 26th December 2011 and paid our deposit. We were advised then when the full ballance was due. Only after payment was made were we contacted again with information on key collection etc. Am sure that over the years this has been what usually happens. We only once paid the remainder in the resort and again with no problems. Hope this information helps.
Old 01-07-2012, 21:59

Well since paying the deposit on 11th June we have heard nothing.
No replies to emails, the phone number just goes to a recorded message
With three weeks until we fly, I think we will have to look for something else
Very disappointing
Old 01-07-2012, 22:05

I am having the same problem with who we have booked through. I am starting to look elsewhere just in case. We have got a little longer with 5 weeks until we travel. I am hoping that I will get a response over the next few days to the contact I have made. Good luck hope you manage to sort things out.
Old 01-07-2012, 22:13

I assume that neither of you received notification on paying the deposit of What happens next? Were you asked for flight details or estimated time of arrival etc? The reason I ask is that sparky and Anne have both said that they paid remainder on arrival and all was ok. If you have given your arrival times then perhaps the owner intends to meet you at the property?
I understand that this is very worrying for both of you and certainly I would prefer to have everything in place before arrival myself. It is not unusual for some of the locals to have a laid back approach to life so perhaps that maybe the problem here. The worry of course is that you have attempted to make contact without success.
I do hope both of you are able to sort this in a positive way.