Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree296Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 08:35

Then you will be very happy to read the article in yesterday´s ( and today´s and online ) article in the Daily Bulletin.

Maybe they could convert the courses into never-ending tracks.

A stricktly enforced speed limit should be enforced on the front road cycle track.

They tend to go along it at well over normal driving speeds, and overtake without making their presence known beforehand.

I´m all for speed but not where small children and tourists are dawdling along admiring the view. Quite frankly I wouldn´t allow them on it in the first place, as it wasn´t designed for "professionals".

Let´s see what the new year will bring.
Sponsored Links
Old 19-09-2016, 09:47

"Cycling is now taking over from golf in Majorca" » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin
Quote:
Over the past six years, Dan has witnessed the cycling scene change radically on the island and for the better.

"Cycling is definitely taking over from golf in Majorca, the sector is growing so fast. Never mind the fact that it is in the blood of the locals and that there are so many Majorcan cycling clubs out on the roads every weekend; Majorca is becoming the destination for cycling tourism and training camps. The fact that Team Sky, Team GB and most of the other international cycling teams use Majorca for their winter training camps sends out an extremely important message to the rest of the cycling world. And now they are coming in their tens of thousands to cycle here.
"I don’t think the local drivers have problems with cyclists. As I’ve said, cycling has been a huge sport and activity on the island for decades - it may be the holidaymakers or foreign residents - so I think some form of attempt should be made to educate both cyclists and drivers so we can bring an end to this love-hate relationship and also make the roads safer. It’s something that has to work both ways, that’s for sure."

Tommo likes this.
Old 19-09-2016, 10:05

300,000 hikers coming to Majorca in the low season » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin

Let´s hope they don´t bring their bikes.
Mark, Rosie34, roig cat and 1 others like this.
Old 19-09-2016, 14:42

Quote:
I don’t think the local drivers have problems with cyclists. As I’ve said, cycling has been a huge sport and activity on the island for decades - it may be the holidaymakers or foreign residents - so I think some form of attempt should be made to educate both cyclists and drivers so we can bring an end to this love-hate relationship and also make the roads safer. It’s something that has to work both ways, that’s for sure."
Just educate the cyclists to use cycle lanes when provided, and not ride in pairs when one of them is practically on the middle line of the road and not to ride on pavements - may not result in a 'love-love' relationship but it might be a start
debz1, Lorenzo, Nick and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Sparky; 19-09-2016 at 16:13. Reason: Quotes inserted.
Old 19-09-2016, 14:46
Super Moderator

Sorry Rosie but believe me the local drivers do have a problem with the bad cyclists.
Lorenzo and Tommo like this.
Old 19-09-2016, 15:34

Rosie was just quoting Dan as per the MDB article in the italics

There should be briefings by all the cycling tours and promoters to their cycliist clients how there's rules in Majorca about cycling too and they don't own the roads and most certainly not the foot paths and the pedestrian zones.
debz1, Lorenzo and Rosie34 like this.
Old 19-09-2016, 15:52

Are cyclists the new estate agents?
Nick and Tommo like this.
Old 19-09-2016, 16:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dublin View Post
Rosie was just quoting Dan as per the MDB article in the italics
Yes i realise that but i was just pointing out that the locals do have the same gripe with bad cyclists .
Old 19-09-2016, 16:27

While this forum is useful for airing one's views, the roads would be a lot safer if everyone considers these points:

1. Almost every bike rider is already a regular car diver and generally has a much better appreciation of how the road should be shared. This is not always the case with car users only.

2. Bike riders ride 2 abreast not just for social reasons. It is a proven safety mechanism
to encourage drivers to moderate their speed when overtaking a group of cyclists. Yes, it may be annoying if you are following them and adds a bit to your journey but think about this when you are next in this situation. If it is a small group, they will often then go single file and wave you through. As a matter of fact, they changed the law in the Balearics to allow 2 abreast cycling, so there must be some logic here.

3. Large group of cyclists (ie 10 or more) are too large in my opinion and should be split up for safety reasons.

4. Anyone riding a road bike on a cycle path should moderate their speed as if they are just riding along as a tourist. They may have better road handling skills, but being in the same area as occasional cyclists and children requires extra care. There can be no excuse for speeding on these paths.

5. Riding on the pine walk (technically illegal) is quite safe out of season and when it is quiet providing you are on your own and going at a fast walking pace. Groups of riders coming out of hotels should use the ring road. If you see a local riding a commuter bike at a slow pace along here, I don't think many people raise an eyebrow. Anyone trying this when it is busy is just asking for trouble.

6. I have always found the local drivers much more tolerant than the tourists and ex-pat drivers who seem to dominate the anti-bike brigade.

7. Like all sections of society there will always be a section that causes a disproportionate amount of problems. I have certainly seen a growing element of cyclists new to the sport behaving badly. If they are in a group, they will usually get their wings clipped by the others.

8. I would encourage all drivers to try cycling to help them appreciate the vulnerability of the un-protected rider. I guarantee it will make them see things differently and become a better and safer driver.

9. Marked off areas on main roads are not always in good condition and often contain debris. This is a major safety issue for road cyclists and that is why you often see them riding on the main road section instead. A friendly hoot to warn that you are over taking them is usually appreciated. If they respond otherwise, then they are usually the ones mentioned in point 7.

10. Finally, the roads are for everyone to share. Be responsible and safe.
Old 19-09-2016, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Sorry Rosie but believe me the local drivers do have a problem with the bad cyclists.
I didnt realise I had said that local drivers do not have a problem
Old 19-09-2016, 19:39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
I didnt realise I had said that local drivers do not have a problem
Please read post #53 .
Old 19-09-2016, 22:10

That's brilliant for local businesses, hikers need accommodation and food and flights.
The more the better as long as they don't wear out the mountain tracks
El Gordo likes this.
Old 02-05-2017, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wob View Post
While this forum is useful for airing one's views, the roads would be a lot safer if everyone considers these points:

1. Almost every bike rider is already a regular car diver and generally has a much better appreciation of how the road should be shared. This is not always the case with car users only.

2. Bike riders ride 2 abreast not just for social reasons. It is a proven safety mechanism
to encourage drivers to moderate their speed when overtaking a group of cyclists. Yes, it may be annoying if you are following them and adds a bit to your journey but think about this when you are next in this situation. If it is a small group, they will often then go single file and wave you through. As a matter of fact, they changed the law in the Balearics to allow 2 abreast cycling, so there must be some logic here.

3. Large group of cyclists (ie 10 or more) are too large in my opinion and should be split up for safety reasons.

4. Anyone riding a road bike on a cycle path should moderate their speed as if they are just riding along as a tourist. They may have better road handling skills, but being in the same area as occasional cyclists and children requires extra care. There can be no excuse for speeding on these paths.

5. Riding on the pine walk (technically illegal) is quite safe out of season and when it is quiet providing you are on your own and going at a fast walking pace. Groups of riders coming out of hotels should use the ring road. If you see a local riding a commuter bike at a slow pace along here, I don't think many people raise an eyebrow. Anyone trying this when it is busy is just asking for trouble.

6. I have always found the local drivers much more tolerant than the tourists and ex-pat drivers who seem to dominate the anti-bike brigade.

7. Like all sections of society there will always be a section that causes a disproportionate amount of problems. I have certainly seen a growing element of cyclists new to the sport behaving badly. If they are in a group, they will usually get their wings clipped by the others.

8. I would encourage all drivers to try cycling to help them appreciate the vulnerability of the un-protected rider. I guarantee it will make them see things differently and become a better and safer driver.

9. Marked off areas on main roads are not always in good condition and often contain debris. This is a major safety issue for road cyclists and that is why you often see them riding on the main road section instead. A friendly hoot to warn that you are over taking them is usually appreciated. If they respond otherwise, then they are usually the ones mentioned in point 7.

10. Finally, the roads are for everyone to share. Be responsible and safe.
I doff my cap or cycling helmet. Best post I have witnessed on here in a long time. I have just returned from my cycle trip and as some may know I have been travelling to Pollensa with my young family for years before I took up cycling (to lose weight incidentally as my knees can't withstand running anymore).
I was beginning to think that there was an anti cycling agenda on here but forum users seem to be more reasoned than Facebook users.

I used to be a cycle hater having been born and raised in the UK where for years the car has been king but after experiencing the issues that cyclists have in the UK (motorists oblivious to the fact that they are in fact trying to reduce your life expectancy to that of a Japanese Kamikaze Pilot) my opinion changed as quick as you can say 'close pass'.

It was always a breath of fresh air to cycle in any other part of Europe where the bicycle is actually recognised as a both a form of transport and leisure. Ironic that the UK is where the original safety bicycle was first developed and that attitudes are so far behind there. Progress is being made in that respect, my only hope is that we don't manage to export the old attitudes to other countries such as France/Spain as that would be step backwards.

PS I'll be back on here more often with my 2 wheeled agenda as I was banned from a Facebook group recently for having attempted to put forward a cyclist/family mans point of view. I won't be slow in criticism of bad cycling but it is very hard to understand the cyclists point of view if you don't experience it in todays volume of traffic.
Old 02-05-2017, 17:51

Must say I cannot agree with the comment that cyclists need to use the main road section because the area at the side is unsuitable for road cyclists. As the road was there first it is surely the responsibility of the cyclist to use a bike suitable for the road conditions. Road bikes with slick, skinny tyres are only suitable for perfect road surfaces and not for the majority of roads on this island.
sws97sdg and MPH133 like this.
Old 02-05-2017, 18:56

Excellent post Vincent.