Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree296Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2016, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemallorca View Post
So now we have a dedicated cycle track, but it is unlikely that anyone will use?

Sometimes I feel that I am reading a script for a comedy of errors! Any moment surely Derek Nimmo is going to appear dressed as a vicar (just as I have my trousers around my ankles!)
Wasn't Brian Rix the "trousers around my ankles" guy???
debz1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 22-05-2016, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Wasn't Brian Rix the "trousers around my ankles" guy???
I think "trousers around my ankles guy" was Ray Cooney.
Old 22-05-2016, 08:29

Cyclists still going wrong way along road this morning......and ignoring cycle lane. Will it ever be successful one wonders
Old 22-05-2016, 09:27

I doubt it very much. 2mtr wide travelling in both directions and cyclists who like to ride more than 2 abreast.
Already one family I know are looking elsewhere on the island for their September holiday as they have 3 children under 5, one if them disabled and won't take the chance of having to park their car a distance from the beach and having haul all the equipment they need as well as wheelchair with a disabled child.
They were staying nearer pollensa than the port.
Old 22-05-2016, 12:07

One thing is for sure if cyclists are not using the cycle lanes then cars will not be traveling faster than bike speeds that can't be a bad thing.
If they police anything it should be bikes on the pavements.
Rebel
Old 16-09-2016, 19:53

Whilst cheering the success of British cyclists in Rio, I was alarmed to hear how many enthused about Mallorca, and specifically Pollensa, as a place to train. I fear an even greater number of cyclists next spring. I will try to think of Tokyo 2020 when stuck behind them.
JohnE
Old 16-09-2016, 21:11

I suppose certain resorts do get stereotyped (is that the correct term??) and it looks as though PP is quickly becoming the "go to" place for cyclists in the way that perhaps El Arenal is for Germans, Magaluf for the Brits and Santa Ponsa for The Irish.

If I'm a local business person I couldnt give a monkeys who spend their spondoolies in my shop/bar/restaurant and also the cyclists prescence increases the length of the season with more and more hotels staying open the whole year.

As a tourist with a flat in PP I'm all for a busier port which makes out of season flights available (Edi - Palma twice a week this winter) however perhaps the sight of lycra clad bodies of all shapes and sizes clogging up the bars and restaurants drinking water and coffee would make people thimk twice about coming.
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 17-09-2016, 15:44

Although April is a lovely time to visit - we shan't be coming again at that time of the year - the hundreds of cyclists made driving anywhere a nightmare
marilyn, ragdollabbi and roig cat like this.
Old 17-09-2016, 19:52

We come every year in April and October and hire a car for our whole stay. One of our daytime pleasures is driving around the island. This April was a nightmare with cyclists riding 3 abreast on roads and not using cycle lanes. We set off for Arta one day and it was so stressful that we didnt even get as far as C'an Picafort before we decided to return to the Port. After a lot of debate we decided that we will hire a car next month. However if it is just as bad we will use taxis and buses in future. I think the behaviour of a lot of cyclists will have a financial impact on the car hire businesses and restaurants outside of the main resorts.
graham, Rosie34 and ragdollabbi like this.
Old 17-09-2016, 21:31

Ditto to posts 38 & 39. We came in April last year and are unlikely to visit again in April as the volume of cyclists in that month creates too many issues. We attempted a driving tour of various places in the mountains; it became so problematic we abandoned that trip and headed back to the motorway and PP instead.
Old 18-09-2016, 07:39

Quite a few of us, just on this forum, who normally come out in April but aren't next year!
Old 18-09-2016, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn View Post
We come every year in April and October and hire a car for our whole stay. One of our daytime pleasures is driving around the island. This April was a nightmare with cyclists riding 3 abreast on roads and not using cycle lanes. We set off for Arta one day and it was so stressful that we didnt even get as far as C'an Picafort before we decided to return to the Port.
Marilyn if you had just persevered you normally loose most of the cyclists once though C'an Picafort, then it's a lovely run.
Old 18-09-2016, 11:36

WW. It is one of our favourite runs and we like to stop for lunch in Arta. After we had driven along with the large packs around Pollensa bay, we were faced with the same problems along the Arta Road where large groups were cycling two or three abreast on the middle section rather than the local routes that run parallel. I was just so stressed by the time we were coming out of Alcudia that I turned around and went back.
I have never had this level of problem before with the cyclists who have been training in the North for many years. They always rode responsibly both for their own safety and that of other road users and pedestrians and a lot if them still do. However there appears to be an ever growing breed of arrogant cyclists who ride without due care and attention.

This won't stop us visiting in April but it may change what we do while we are there.
debz1, graham and Lorenzo like this.
Old 18-09-2016, 12:12

Very sorry to say that Bob & I won't be visiting in April this year. April is our favourite month to spend a few weeks in the Port, along with our other 3/4 trips each year.
This April was, in our opinion, totally ruined by the extraordinary amount of rude, arrogant & dangerous cyclists, who were ignoring road signs, travelling up the wrong way of one way streets & riding in packs along Pine Walk. Additionally, we became fed up with groups of middle aged men behaving badly in the restaurants and bars.
We are extremely sad that April is now off limit. This August we had a super time, but are already feeling slightly concerned about our upcoming October break.This is not a witch hunt against considerate, law abiding individuals. The cycling clubs & councils need to have a stricter code of conduct.
debz1, graham, Lorenzo and 3 others like this.
Old 18-09-2016, 12:19

Additionally, we became fed up with groups of middle aged men behaving Badly.

MAMILS: Middle aged men in Lycra
debz1 likes this.