Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree296Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 17:10

But we all know that a considerable minority are not "following the laws". A couple of quick points, regarding my experiences yesterday afternoon, I was genuinely surprised that some of these guys were attempting to ride through the "narrow" part of the Pine Walk, that is past Corb Mari and on towards Little Italy, (in fact, in places) all the way up to the Illa 'Dor.

Secondly, and to be honest, this was early morning, just after 8.00am today, and there were very few people about, one chap came from the direction of the Sis Pins area towards the Dania and was absolutely flying, (on his bike!). Head down, pure concentration and he was seriously moving. I know Bradley Wiggins is reported to have an apartment in that vicinity, and believe me, it could have been him, (I'm no expert, but I doubt if even the great man himself could have gone any quicker).

As I said, there were very few people around, and he pretty much had the area to himself, but he was really shifting, and no, I'm not exaggerating.
debz1 and Carol like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewalker View Post
Slightly off topic, I know, but this morning we took a leisurely stroll along the Pine Walk up to the Illa' Dor. Just in front of Corb Mari, 5 lycra clad cyclists who were making their merry way towards the Dania were confronted by two local police officers, who had them off those bikes in a matter of seconds, (these guys must have known what they were doing was dangerous, the pavement was at the time ridicously crowded, it being a very warm and sunny morning).

A couple of hours later, on our return, we stopped for a liquid lunch at the Bahia, (as one does), during which time I witnessed three separate occcassions when groups of cyclists came hurtling along, (probably each time about 4 or 5 in number). We all know how narrow the walk is along this stretch, and I fear that sometime this summer, a terrible incident, (if that's the right word) is going to occur. Common sense would tell one that this type of behaviour is just an accident waiting to happen. In fairness I must say there were numerous other cyclists this afternoon who were walking alongside their bikes.

Anyway, apologies to all, rant over, I'm just stating what I saw.
As I alluded to earlier I won't defend bad cycling so they shouldn't be on the pedestrian area and it is right that they are stopped from doing so. Extra signage may be a good idea as i don't think what is in place is adequate as I hadn't noticed it the 1st few times I had been but language like 'lycra clad cyclists' and 'hurtling along' would tend to make me believe you do have a certain prejudice, I might be wrong. I would find it difficult to hurtle along on a road bike at that stretch especially in a group and can't for the life of me think of a reason why they would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
Hopefully by the time the school holidays start the majority of cyclists will be gone as too hot for serious cycling.
I'll be there during the school holidays but minus a bicycle this time with the children in tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn View Post
I have been informed by someone who is in the cycle business here, cyclists have to follow the laws as other vehicles. This includes not riding in pedestrian areas and pavements and not going the wrong way up one way streets.

This does make sense, I have to say I have witnessed locals disobeying the one way street rule in the past and they weren't 'lycra clad', just going about their daily business/shopping/work etc and I somehow doubt the same venom is shown towards them.

It is a shame that a selfish minority cause bad feeling for the majority. Safety for all, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians must be our first concern.
Agreed with the responsibility for safety in direct correlation with the vulnerability of the user therefore motorists having the most and cyclists should be looking out for pedestrians.

On my recent trip I was travelling along opposite the junction near Stay and as I got to the crossing a pedestrian was waiting to cross. I stopped on my bicycle remaining clipped on to the pedals and balancing myself in a track stand. The nice lady in question saw that I was balancing and waved me through to which I replied 'Muchos Gracias'. Bit of class that from her I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewalker View Post
But we all know that a considerable minority are not "following the laws". A couple of quick points, regarding my experiences yesterday afternoon, I was genuinely surprised that some of these guys were attempting to ride through the "narrow" part of the Pine Walk, that is past Corb Mari and on towards Little Italy, (in fact, in places) all the way up to the Illa 'Dor.

Secondly, and to be honest, this was early morning, just after 8.00am today, and there were very few people about, one chap came from the direction of the Sis Pins area towards the Dania and was absolutely flying, (on his bike!). Head down, pure concentration and he was seriously moving. I know Bradley Wiggins is reported to have an apartment in that vicinity, and believe me, it could have been him, (I'm no expert, but I doubt if even the great man himself could have gone any quicker).

As I said, there were very few people around, and he pretty much had the area to himself, but he was really shifting, and no, I'm not exaggerating.
This sort of action really angers me and again I cannot understand it knowing that area of the Pine Walk. It's narrow, a crazy rough surface with tree roots not to mention the pedestrians using it. How can any cyclist actually get enjoyment from cycling on there when the road surfaces on the main carriageways such as the ring road are so smooth in comparison to the roads here? That's one of my favourite things about cycling in Majorca along with the stunning views, challenging hills and of course the weather.
debz1, El Gordo and pansy potter like this.

Last edited by vincent; 06-05-2017 at 22:41.
Old 12-04-2018, 15:11

We've been in the Port for the last 6 days. We have found it much quieter than we expected. We are usually here July/August and October. We are also amazed at the number of cyclists in the area. We know it's big business but I'm afraid the majority of cyclists we have seen pay no attention to any of the rules. We are witnessing instances all the time of large groups(6-20) cycling along the Pinewalk far too fast and then breaking hard practically at peoples' ankles. As for the new road, it's a huge improvement but again cyclists are ignoring both the cycle lane and the one way system. I have yet to see any group stop at the zebra crossings. Although I must acknowledge 2 German cyclists who stopped when I was crossing the other day. It really feels as if they can do what they want as no one challenges them. I have only once seen a taxi driver toot at them as they were taking up the whole road and he couldn't pass them. There are quite a few families here just now but although the Pinewalk is relatively quiet ,it isn't safe to let go of their hands as cyclists appear so quickly. I think the situation needs to be addressed soon before an accident happens. Mind you, with all the changes involving rentals,tourist tax and huge sunbed costs, perhaps the 'powers that be' no longer want to promote the Port as a family friendly resort!
Old 12-04-2018, 17:39

Cycling is a great activity properly executed. My pet hate is the “peloton” of 20+ riders who refuse to split up into smaller groups to allow cars to pass more easily......it’s just plain selfishness. In my experience cyclists are 25% thoughtful, 75% pig ignorant. And no.....there’s no justification to ride down Pine Walk when it’s busy.

That said, there are thoughtless drivers and pedestrians too! Just having a “Meldrew Moment”! LOL
Bekki and MPH133 like this.
Old 12-04-2018, 17:57

We are just back from taking a walk as the sun re-appeared.The pedestrian zone began at 6 pm and a barrier was placed across the road and guess what.....cyclists are using it as a 'free-for-all' cycling all over the road in both directions....you really couldn't make it up! It looks as if the cycle lane still operates after 6 as it isn't blocked off but if the cyclists aren't using it anyway...
( there are some individual riders who do adhere to the rules)
debz1 and animagic21 like this.
Old 12-04-2018, 18:02

Welcome to PP in the Spring!! What you have described is all quite normal now.
Old 12-04-2018, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
Cycling is a great activity properly executed. My pet hate is the “peloton” of 20+ riders who refuse to split up into smaller groups to allow cars to pass more easily......it’s just plain selfishness. In my experience cyclists are 25% thoughtful, 75% pig ignorant. And no.....there’s no justification to ride down Pine Walk when it’s busy.

That said, there are thoughtless drivers and pedestrians too! Just having a “Meldrew Moment”! LOL
I could not agree with you more. However, the small 0.5 litre water bottles serve a dual purpose and definitely stop a charging bike if they are inadvertently caught up in the spokes of the front wheels.

Lol,

Jimbo
debz1, Rosie34 and martinchip10 like this.
Old 13-04-2018, 08:49

Definately would put us of a spring or autumn visit

It is bad enough in June and September but obviously PP earns a lot of money out of this

Dont understand why it cant be policed though as we see more Police in PP in a a day than we see at home all year !
debz1 and Luckyone like this.
Old 13-04-2018, 08:50

I live on the bicycle route in between Pollensa and Alcudia... The one word that always works with these bike gangs is "AU-TO"! Say it loud and they suddenly behave
Old 13-04-2018, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp View Post
I live on the bicycle route in between Pollensa and Alcudia... The one word that always works with these bike gangs is "AU-TO"! Say it loud and they suddenly behave
What does this actually mean when AU-TO rather than auto? I would like to know if using? Thanks.
Old 13-04-2018, 10:13

I live in Surrey, near Box Hill and the Olympic cycle route is on my doorstep, so I have first hand experience of inconsiderate and sometimes very aggressive cyclists riding where I live. Its been a big issue for some time now and everyone complains about them, however I think in PP its a bit different. Obviously everyone is on holiday out there and its rarely a place to be rushing around, so I'd suggest just taking it on the chin and working your way past them without getting upset about it. It doesn't achieve anything other than ruining your day!
The Wob, pansy potter and Papillon like this.
Old 13-04-2018, 10:38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo the Jambo View Post
I could not agree with you more. However, the small 0.5 litre water bottles serve a dual purpose and definitely stop a charging bike if they are inadvertently caught up in the spokes of the front wheels.

Lol,

Jimbo
I would say that while we all get annoyed by the minority of cyclists who display an utter disregard for the law and safety, we cannot condone any kind of action which could cause injury to anyone .
pollensa, PP76, debz1 and 8 others like this.
Old 13-04-2018, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by icampbell15 View Post
We've been in the Port for the last 6 days. We have found it much quieter than we expected. We are usually here July/August and October. We are also amazed at the number of cyclists in the area. We know it's big business but I'm afraid the majority of cyclists we have seen pay no attention to any of the rules. We are witnessing instances all the time of large groups(6-20) cycling along the Pinewalk far too fast and then breaking hard practically at peoples' ankles. As for the new road, it's a huge improvement but again cyclists are ignoring both the cycle lane and the one way system. I have yet to see any group stop at the zebra crossings. Although I must acknowledge 2 German cyclists who stopped when I was crossing the other day. It really feels as if they can do what they want as no one challenges them. I have only once seen a taxi driver toot at them as they were taking up the whole road and he couldn't pass them. There are quite a few families here just now but although the Pinewalk is relatively quiet ,it isn't safe to let go of their hands as cyclists appear so quickly. I think the situation needs to be addressed soon before an accident happens. Mind you, with all the changes involving rentals,tourist tax and huge sunbed costs, perhaps the 'powers that be' no longer want to promote the Port as a family friendly resort!
I was also in the port the last six days and didn't see anything at all like this. What I saw was a fantastic newly laid front being enjoyed by everyone responsibly. No issues, no dramas.

Also, I really don't get your last sentence. It's as though some posters don't want PP to flourish or would prefer to keep it only to like minded individuals. The port is in fantastic shape just now with many bars and restaurants really upping their games. It was only two years ago when Manduca folded that posters yelled doom'n'gloom yet Tecun have moved into the space and have not only survived last year but have totally transformed the inside spending £000's on it. As has Norai, as has Bar Bon Dia, as has the villa cuisine people with Casa de mar, Tolos and now Euphoria.

Surely we should be talking up PP?
Old 14-04-2018, 11:28

I've just got back from 16 days in Pollença. I saw lots of cyclists. I chatted to a few, got invited to a BBQ and made a few friends. I never came anywhere near to being put in danger by them.

Meanwhile I was nearly taken out twice (on foot) by young adults driving while either on the phone or holding it to use as navigation. I was hindered (while on my bike) by a tourist who couldn't drive their car through a narrow street and just stopped even though they had a foot of clearance either side. Finally I had to lift off the gas and hang back on the motorway while a young lady in the middle lane proceeded to facetime whilst driving and thus wandered across all three lanes.

There are good and bad pedestrians, drivers and cyclists but criticising on here doesn't do any good for anyone.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:49

Just looked at the webcam, for 8.46 p.m. last night - only 2 cyclists and only 2 cars driving down the road. I thought it was a pedestrian only zone at that time - am I wrong?