Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree296Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2018, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Sorry guys, but this post is really starting to annoy/frustrate me. If you delve back to my previous posts you will see that I am a keen cyclist. I'm not a 'speedster', I'm 62 after all! But, I am also a considerate cyclist. I am also a considerate driver. For example, I would like it to be known, that I always indicate when driving, when I am about to overtake a cyclist, something that the vast majority do not do in the UK. Let's all chill out for a mo. We're all at fault at times. I come to Mallorca to have a great holiday and to enjoy my cycling. Some cyclists do not adhere to the rules. But also, some drivers to not either, and the same applies to some pedestrians. We're all in this together, so please chill out and let the likes of me get on and enjoy the 'great' side of coming here otherwise I'll call it a day and look elsewhere.
Jonsey, I agree, but as I mentioned before, I do think that cyclists should strictly adher to the 20 km/h limit that is imposed, or supposed to be imposed, on all motor vehicles that go along the new pedestrian road.
Sponsored Links
Old 22-05-2018, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Simms View Post
Jonsey, I agree, but as I mentioned before, I do think that cyclists should strictly adher to the 20 km/h limit that is imposed, or supposed to be imposed, on all motor vehicles that go along the new pedestrian road.
Just had a quick look at the webcam this morning and spotted a 20km speed marking in the cycle lane......is that new? I hadn't spotted it before!
debz1 and sws97sdg like this.
Old 22-05-2018, 09:31

Saw that too, appeared over the weekend I think, good idea!

On island time!!
Old 22-05-2018, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
Just had a quick look at the webcam this morning and spotted a 20km speed marking in the cycle lane......is that new? I hadn't spotted it before!
No No That refers to the maximum abreast !!
sws97sdg, marilyn, Lorenzo and 9 others like this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 25-05-2018, 09:46

Just looked at the webcam, and there are around 8 or 10 cyclists, but all in the cycle lane - just the one jerk on the footpath. However, I notice that, judging from his dress, that he is a local. In fact, from my experience over many years, most of the cyclists going wrong way, etc. are in fact locals! I can only suppose that they are aware that policing doesn't exist!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:11

Have just been out and used the new cycle path. I have to say it was very impressive, with everybody 'behaving', whether cyclist, pedestrian. I hope I kept within the 20kph limit. I'm sure I did as my legs were tired after 3 hrs cycling! The road surface is so much smoother and safer than previous years. If there was something that I would have done differently is possibly to make the cycle path a different colour. Even though it is darker than the pedestrianised section I can quite see how people walking may 'stray across'. All that said, though, it' a good result.
sws97sdg, LK1960, El Gordo and 3 others like this.
Old 17-06-2018, 11:51

Just returned after our two week fix and thought I'd just add to the 'cycle lane' theme. Whilst the new pedestrianised/cycle lanes are a big improvement, it does get a bit confusing when you venture away from the port and take the coastal cycle route around the bay to Alcudia. Whilst there I witnessed the local 'highway maintenance' painting large white arrows, every 40m or so, pointing towards the Port. I have to say that when I use this route I always ride towards Alcudia on the right hand side of the road, where there is also a cycle lane, all be it the same colour as the main road surface, but is does have a solid white line to segregate the two. However, on the route back to PP I ride along the 'red' lane, where in the past I've come across several cyclists coming towards me, not knowing whether to pass me on the left or right! On a couple of occasions in the past I've had to come to a standstill for fear of a collision. On speaking to a friend I found out that due to an accident a few months ago it had been decided to paint the above mentioned arrows to try and persuade cyclists to use both sides of the road when cycling the route along the bay. By the end of my stay it was quite noticeable that an increased number of bike users were now using the right hand side of the road to cycle towards Alcudia. I wonder whether they'll also paint arrows on this side, too?
Old 17-06-2018, 15:25

That's good news. Almost been taken out a coupe of time myself there.
Old 20-06-2018, 15:07

Quote:
Just returned after our two week fix and thought I'd just add to the 'cycle lane' theme. Whilst the new pedestrianised/cycle lanes are a big improvement, it does get a bit confusing when you venture away from the port and take the coastal cycle route around the bay to Alcudia. Whilst there I witnessed the local 'highway maintenance' painting large white arrows, every 40m or so, pointing towards the Port. I have to say that when I use this route I always ride towards Alcudia on the right hand side of the road, where there is also a cycle lane, all be it the same colour as the main road surface, but is does have a solid white line to segregate the two. However, on the route back to PP I ride along the 'red' lane, where in the past I've come across several cyclists coming towards me, not knowing whether to pass me on the left or right! On a couple of occasions in the past I've had to come to a standstill for fear of a collision. On speaking to a friend I found out that due to an accident a few months ago it had been decided to paint the above mentioned arrows to try and persuade cyclists to use both sides of the road when cycling the route along the bay. By the end of my stay it was quite noticeable that an increased number of bike users were now using the right hand side of the road to cycle towards Alcudia. I wonder whether they'll also paint arrows on this side, too?
We noticed this but they have not indicated that you should cross at the island where the ring road meets the Bay!!
It's very confusing as the blue cycle lane before the bridge over the torrent still has the dotted line down the centre as if two way. All very confusing with cyclists ignoring the new arrows.
I do hope they complete this work soon as it's made a bad situation worse.
bobley likes this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 02-07-2018, 10:53

Apologies - I'm a bit late to the party on this one and I cant quite visualise what the changes are since last year (if any)?
We are out in 3 weeks and always hire bikes to 'potter' between PP, Alcudia, Pollensa Old Town and Cala SV as we love the safe cycling lanes and beautiful routes.
Has something changed on the route from PP to Alcudia?
or if there is a good webcam link that I can see it from, please let me know.
cheers guys.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:27

If you read back, you can probably get the gist of it all but the link below is to the webcam that shows the new cycle lane arrangement at the Llenaire end of the port.

If you look at Google street view, it shows what was there before they narrowed the road and built the new cycle lane.

The route onto Alcudia had a wide cycle lane on the left and narrow on the right and El Gordo was saying they are painting direction arrows on one side and hopefully two, to avoid the potential head on collisions.

Last edited by Sparky; 10-07-2018 at 09:16.
Old 02-07-2018, 13:18

Cheers Rockape. I understand it know. Directional arrows on the lanes would certainly help. But I would still think that pedestrians wandering onto the cycle lanes, without looking, will still be an issue - but it still looks like a fab facility for cyclists.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
This from the UH :-

Quote:
The Consell de Mallorca will install wooden barriers on the bike path from Alcúdia to Port de Pollença.

The Consell de Mallorca will install wooden barriers, which will be reinforced with iron, to separate the bike path from the road between Alcúdia and Port de Pollença.

This was explained on Monday by Consellera de Territori del Consell, Mercedes Garrido, who indicated that the measure is now in the draft phase of the project to be put out to tender, so the action will be carried out during the months of next winter.
The full story can be seen here :- https://ultimahora.es/noticias/part-...-pollen-a.html
Old 10-07-2018, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
This from the UH :-

The full story can be seen here :- https://ultimahora.es/noticias/part-...-pollen-a.html
Interesting! They mention bike path, but there are two bike paths and it would be a shame if it was just the one one the sea side of the road as you get such a lovely view across the sea on that stretch. Better to widen the one on the shore land side and make it two direction and remove the one on the sea side.
Old 30-07-2018, 15:40

Quote:
So they finally painted the right hand side of the road! "Serious cyclists" (typically German, but some Spanyards and Brits, too) have been using it for years.

I started in 1990 and I have never seen a "peloton" or group of serious cyclists" using the "red lane" from PdP to Alcudia. A pity that others stil "potter along" it, in the wrong direction!