Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree296Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 23:52

Wink

What is his/her name? ( Aside to wife " I think these ladies all sniff glue or something! Or maybe the strong Majorcan wne! " )
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 23:56

Wink

What is his/her name? ( Aside to wife, " I think these ladies all sniff glue or something! Or maybe the strong wine in Majorca - one of them always has her glass half full! Best to humour them! " )
Old 12-05-2018, 13:29

Over many years have always spent a few weeks in April out in Puerto Pollensa - wedding anniversary and sometimes going to the wine fair. This year was the most cyclists we have ever experienced. I agree with other comments - the new pedestrianisation is great but because it is seamless between cycle path and pavement it is a disaster waiting to happen. Even I - crossing at a zebra crossing nearly got mown over by group of cyclists. I, like Debz, worry about children running out but hopefully there will be less cyclists in the summer. Also drove up to Mortitx to buy some wine - the drive was scary - groups of cyclists so very slow going and unable to pass and even worse free wheeling cyclists coming downhill strait into paths of cars.
debz1 and Lorenzo like this.
Old 14-05-2018, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobley View Post
Hey Rockape. I didn't mean to go in all heavy handed. If you meet me (which I hope you will at some point) you'll realise I'm pretty harmless. I just want to make it clear that some ( I hope most) cyclists just want to go for a quiet pootle and stay out of everyone's way. I've joined Strava today to look at the routes mentioned above and as much as no one has had a serious punt at a Kom in the last 2 years there are still cyclists going down there at 20mph even today. That's really annoying. Sorry of I caused any stress. Bob
No worries Bobley, no stress either.....I don't come on here for a ruck, just to make a few comments occasionally. As I've mentioned, its not really the cyclists fault that they've been given an ultra smooth cycle path bordering a footpath that has young children playing on it. Its not really for them to see the danger (although they should), its about designing it in a way that ensures the potential danger is kept to a minimum. That's what concerns me.

As I said in my post all those months ago....'hope I'm wrong!'
debz1 and Hanser like this.
Old 14-05-2018, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Not if you think they're going to stop at the crossing...cos they don't !!
As we know the crossings in Spain are not the same as in England, that you must stop for someone, its not mandatory to stop for people, so you need to make sure that they are stopping for you before you walk out.
PP is not as bad as some places, we have just come back from a week In Rome, and there its 10 times worst, cars do not always stop at a pedestrian crossings even when the lights are on red and people are crossing, Sue and I were nearly taken out twice by scooters cutting around the cars who had stopped and just missing us as they went through the red lights, buses did it too if no one was crossing!
debz1 likes this.

On island time!!
Old 14-05-2018, 11:07

Interesting what you say sws - that pedestrian crossings do not mean that cyclists or vehicles have to stop for you. And that it is the pedestrian's job to make sure they will stop before stepping out onto them - how do you do that, mind reading or something?

If those are indeed the rules, then I do not really see the point in having them.
debz1 likes this.
Old 14-05-2018, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
As we know the crossings in Spain are not the same as in England, that you must stop for someone, its not mandatory to stop for people, so you need to make sure that they are stopping for you before you walk out.
PP is not as bad as some places, we have just come back from a week In Rome, and there its 10 times worst, cars do not always stop at a pedestrian crossings even when the lights are on red and people are crossing, Sue and I were nearly taken out twice by scooters cutting around the cars who had stopped and just missing us as they went through the red lights, buses did it too if no one was crossing!
I know what you mean about Rome Sws

What concerns me is that most people won't know the different rule and may presume that if a car has stopped at a crossing it's clear to go and won't think to check the cycle lane. With the added worry of the cyclists travelling in both directions! Hopefully the amount of cyclists will be far less in the summer months and those that are there will not be trying to beat a Srava record!!!
Tommo likes this.
Old 14-05-2018, 15:13
Super Moderator

Just found this :-

Quote:
Pedestrian crossings are distinguished by black or red and white stripes on the road, but aren’t usually illuminated, e.g. by flashing or static lights. In towns, pedestrian crossings are usually combined with traffic lights.

Pedestrian Road Rules
Motorists are required by law to stop for a pedestrian waiting at a pedestrian crossing only if he indicates his intention to cross by giving a clear hand-signal or placing one foot on the crossing. It’s never safe to assume that you have the right of way as a pedestrian crossing in Spain, particularly in cities, where motorists are very reluctant to stop.

At a pedestrian crossing with pedestrian lights, pedestrians are supposed to wait for a green light (or green man) before crossing the road (sometimes they must press a button), irrespective of whether there’s any traffic. The green light may be accompanied by an audible signal, which may be a few short bleeps just before the light changes to red.

A blinking green light means don’t cross unless you’re already on the crossing (note that the light for motorists may change to green when you’re half way across the road even when you started to cross on a green light, so always look out for traffic). You can be fined for crossing the road at the wrong place or ignoring pedestrian lights and crossings.

Footpaths
Usually, pedestrians must share footpaths with bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, assorted animals and the occasional moped and at the same time keep an eye out for broken paving stones and open manholes and drains.

Paving stones and tiles can be slippery when wet, and in country areas many roads have loose gravel and stones on which it’s easy to lose your footing. Many towns and cities have pedestrian streets ( zona peatonal) barred to traffic and some have roads barred to pedestrians (shown by a sign).

Pedestrians must use footpaths where provided or may use a bicycle path when there’s no footpath. Footpaths are generally rare outside towns, although there may be a narrow ‘hard shoulder’. Where there’s no footpath or bicycle path, you should usually walk on the left side of the road, facing oncoming traffic.

However, on narrow country roads it’s advisable to walk on the side of the road which affords the best view of oncoming traffic, as many roads have blind corners and drivers often drive close to the edge of the road at high speed
Here is the link to the source :- https://www.justlanded.com/english/S...ian-Road-Rules
El Gordo likes this.
Old 14-05-2018, 17:45

Just looked at webcam at 6.30 p.m., and 6 cyclists on cycle track, in cycle lane, half an hour after pedestrian zone started. What a waste of money that was!
Old 14-05-2018, 21:15

Sorry guys, but this post is really starting to annoy/frustrate me. If you delve back to my previous posts you will see that I am a keen cyclist. I'm not a 'speedster', I'm 62 after all! But, I am also a considerate cyclist. I am also a considerate driver. For example, I would like it to be known, that I always indicate when driving, when I am about to overtake a cyclist, something that the vast majority do not do in the UK. Let's all chill out for a mo. We're all at fault at times. I come to Mallorca to have a great holiday and to enjoy my cycling. Some cyclists do not adhere to the rules. But also, some drivers to not either, and the same applies to some pedestrians. We're all in this together, so please chill out and let the likes of me get on and enjoy the 'great' side of coming here otherwise I'll call it a day and look elsewhere.
hoopy, kcdc230, Sparky and 6 others like this.
Old 14-05-2018, 22:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoman View Post
Just looked at webcam at 6.30 p.m., and 6 cyclists on cycle track, in cycle lane, half an hour after pedestrian zone started. What a waste of money that was!
The pedestrianized zone is nowhere near the view of the seemallorca webcam Tangoman .
cumberland8 likes this.
Old 14-05-2018, 22:28

my fault, I thought it was from reading post 97 on this thread.
Old 15-05-2018, 09:15
Super Moderator

Looked at the webcam at 09.45h, not a cyclist in sight, just a couple of pedestrians, a delivery van parked in the disabled bay and a lorry parked on the crossing ........just saying .
Old 15-05-2018, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Looked at the webcam at 09.45h, not a cyclist in sight, just a couple of pedestrians, a delivery van parked in the disabled bay and a lorry parked on the crossing ........just saying .
Its a shame you don't let us post photos copied from the webcam, as Ive seen a few classics over the last few months. Yesterday I say two cyclists on the road and three pedestrians in the cycle lane!

I think I have too much time on my hands!
Old 15-05-2018, 10:48

To cap this thread off
Be Warned Be very Afraid !!!!!
The Re-noun Artist Mr Smith from Scotland is residing in the Port for the next 3 weeks.He will be negotiating the new Roadways Cycle ways and walk ways on his
motorised Scooter so give him a wide berth . So slow down be aware and give him a wide Berth