Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

Like Tree291Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Yes it was but why should the "money people" be allowed to take over from a long estiablished family run business ?. Tonight i have spoken to a few locals and they are furious about the situation, Valls is an institution which is used as much by the locals as it is by tourists and they are spoiling for a fight over this.
They aren´t really "money" people. Their fortune, which was really a misfortune, is due to the fact that around twenty years ago his brother died in a lorry crash and his wife was given a very large amount of money from the insurance company. This she invested with her brother in law, who was a delievery man at the time, to start the Boulevard group.

PS I have NOTHING to do with them neither do I know the owners.

Last edited by Molt de Renou; 18-04-2016 at 10:58.
Sponsored Links
Old 18-04-2016, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Seems to me that Cafe 1919 would be the only ones happy to see the hut gone.
Obviously, but an agreement is an agreement, and they will have the same problem when their lease comes up for renewal.
Old 18-04-2016, 11:08
Super Moderator

MDR, it doesn't matter how they got the money to start with, the fact is that they have far more money than Valls and we all know that money talks.

Fair enough an agreement may have been made but surely over 50 years of service to the community must count for something. PP has lost far too many long established and much loved businesses as certain people feel the need to take over everything because they can afford to.
debz1, animagic21, Brooksy and 3 others like this.
Old 18-04-2016, 11:41

Sorry, Sparky but I have to disagree with you.

An agreement regarding a lease is something that must be adhered to, whether one likes it or not.

I know of dozens of businesses that have had to close due to a rental lease running out and the owners increasing the very old rent.

Should we as taxpayers subsidise these people ?. I don´t think so.

I wouldn´t call selling ice cream, a service to the community. If the amount they sold yesterday is anything to go by they must have have made a VERY good living over the past 20 years.

It´s the same as Cafe Roca on the beach. They are not allowed to put any tables or chairs outside their premises when Guillermo is playing. Not saying this is right or wrong, only that these are the rules and we have to obey them whether we like them or not.
Old 18-04-2016, 12:25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
Sorry, Sparky but I have to disagree with you.

An agreement regarding a lease is something that must be adhered to, whether one likes it or not.

I know of dozens of businesses that have had to close due to a rental lease running out and the owners increasing the very old rent.

Should we as taxpayers subsidise these people ?. I don´t think so.

I wouldn´t call selling ice cream, a service to the community. If the amount they sold yesterday is anything to go by they must have have made a VERY good living over the past 20 years.

It´s the same as Cafe Roca on the beach. They are not allowed to put any tables or chairs outside their premises when Guillermo is playing. Not saying this is right or wrong, only that these are the rules and we have to obey them whether we like them or not.
I think at least 3516 people disagree with you.
So you don't think they provide a service to the community, i would like to know what you consider a service to be .
debz1, pansy potter, Bekki and 2 others like this.
Old 18-04-2016, 14:49

There was an article by the Adjuntament on their FB page. It would appear that there is a law!!! that states the kiosk and the selling of ice cream must be put out to tender, I wonder who else will apply.
Old 18-04-2016, 19:25

Signed the petition.

We sometimes travel all the way from Alcanada to PP just for a Vals ice cream which we rate as the best,

There used to be an outlet in Port Alcudia which sold it, but regrettably it closed 2 years ago.

Vals is the best!
Tangoman likes this.
Old 18-04-2016, 21:39

We have signed aswell ,we all love it gone there for years ,kids get there fix every night now its the grandson and long may it continue .
Tangoman likes this.
Old 18-04-2016, 21:44

[QUOTE=sparky;110482]I think at least 3516 people disagree with you.
So you don't think they provide a service to the community, i would like to know what you consider a service to be .[/QUOT

I am grateful for MDR for explaining the legal situation, and I have understanding for both parties in this situation.

The fact is that most people would like to see Valls stay, regardless of the legalities of the situation. Sometimes in law, regardless of what has been written, agreed or discussed, there is a preferred outcome that the community at large would like to see.

I think that whatever has been agreed in the past, the Ice Cream Hut has become a part of PP that nobody wants to lose. Extra seats can be found anywhere, but it is difficult to replicate the memories and tradition that make families return every year.

My inclination in this instance, would be that the owning group of Café 1919 would be better putting their resources and time into another project.
debz1, Sparky, Bekki and 1 others like this.
Old 18-04-2016, 22:05

I've just added my name to the petition, agree with all the positive comments, Vall's ice cream kiosk is one of the reasons what makes PP special to many people.
debz1 and Tangoman like this.
Old 19-04-2016, 08:25

Interesting re the legal agreement, obviously wasn't aware of that when I commented previously.

If it is the case that the lease must be put out to tender, then so be it. However, as a compromise perhaps Valls could be given a right to match the highest bid once tenders close? Either at the full figure; or at a slight discount to recognise the significance of the institution to the community?
Molt de Renou likes this.
Old 19-04-2016, 09:00

Puerto Pollensa ice-cream kiosk whips up social media storm » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin

Quote:
Social media was sent into a frenzy over the weekend when the call went out to save one of Puerto Pollensa's oldest establishments: the Gelats Valls ice-cream kiosk at the start of the Passeig Anglada Camarasa by the yacht club roundabout. A fixture for decades, the defence and support were stout. A petition rapidly raised over 3,000 signatures.
In an unusual move, prompted by this frenzy, the town hall issued a statement on Sunday.

What this refers to is the fact in September 2014 the town hall had received a request from the owner of the establishment near to the kiosk to consider this occupation of this public way. The owner is Cafe Capuchino 1919 SL.
The town hall is said to currently be completing a tender for continuing the activity of the sale of ice-creams in the kiosk.
see full story on MDB-website
Old 19-04-2016, 09:35
Banned

Simple then..............all Vall's have to do is make sure they submit the highest tender and all will continue as it is. Unless I'm missing something?
After all, the place must make a fortune.

P.S. - for what it's worth MdR contributes a lot to this forum and I think he's been unfairly berated for simply stating the law so that we all know the position of the ice cream hut. Maybe sometimes sentimentality gets in the way? And I'll be the first to admit that I'm sometimes guilty of that.

I'm sure a positive outcome will result in this.
Molt de Renou likes this.
Old 19-04-2016, 09:47

Curious though as to what was the legal position before the complaint?
And, who actually owns the hut?
If it's Valls property and they now have to tender for it, it sounds a tad bizarre ...
Old 19-04-2016, 09:59

I assume they are tendering for the license to be able to trade at that location, the hut must belong to Valls

On island time!!
Closed Thread