Puerto Pollensa Travel Guide
Before You Go
Flights
Package Holidays
Latest Special Offers!
All-Inclusive Hotels
Hotels & Aparthotels
Private Villas/Apts to Rent
Villa Companies
Local Rental Agents
Cruises
Car Hire
Airport Transfers & Taxis
Travel Insurance
Late Deals!
Currency
Holiday Shopping
Background Info
Language
Books
Events & Fiestas
Climate & Weather
Art & Culture
Flora & Fauna
Links
Discussion Forum
Once You're There
Maps
Airport Directions
Tourist Information
Eating Out
Buses & Trains
Music & Entertainment
Excursions & Days Out
Shopping & Markets
Kids
Beaches
Walking, Cycling
Boat Charters
Sailing/Watersports
Market Place
Boats & Yachts
Property For Sale
Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

Like Tree291Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 17-04-2016, 16:10
*****
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 117
Default

I've signed. Qn - without making accusations - what are the known facts behind this significant and very concerning issue ?

The ice cream hut/cabin has been in place (they state) for over 50 years. I've got photo evidence that shows a hut located there, by the roundabout, in about 1972ish. The ice cream hut is a historic and treasured feature of PP.

Valls' hut is obviously directly in front of Gran Cafe 1919 (part of Boulevard Group), but Gran Cafe has only been there since more recently, (perhaps) ten or so years. So - what's the known facts, and why ?
debz1 and Sparky like this.
Sponsored Links
  #17  
Old 17-04-2016, 16:49
debz1's Avatar
*****
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 2,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
I agree with the last three comments.

But looking at it rationally, the kiosk is "in the way".

Let's hope a solution can be found that satisfies all four parties, in other words Costas, the Town Hall, Valls and Boulevard.

Molt

'In the way'??? They've always been there and the alternative would be loads of tables and chairs
Sparky, Rosie34, Nick and 4 others like this.
  #18  
Old 17-04-2016, 17:22
Sparky's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port de Pollença
Posts: 18,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWUK2 View Post
I've signed. Qn - without making accusations - what are the known facts behind this significant and very concerning issue ?

The ice cream hut/cabin has been in place (they state) for over 50 years. I've got photo evidence that shows a hut located there, by the roundabout, in about 1972ish. The ice cream hut is a historic and treasured feature of PP.

Valls' hut is obviously directly in front of Gran Cafe 1919 (part of Boulevard Group), but Gran Cafe has only been there since more recently, (perhaps) ten or so years. So - what's the known facts, and why ?
It seems that Cafe 1919 want to have the kiosk removed because it impacts on their business, in other words they want the space to extend their terrace.
The locals are up in arms over this as well as the tourists who love Valls because as you say, they have been there for many more years than Cafe 1919.
debz1, Rosie34, Roy&Myra and 2 others like this.
__________________
Living the dream in PP with my glass half full. .
  #19  
Old 17-04-2016, 17:40
Sparky's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port de Pollença
Posts: 18,706
Default

Wow!!! this petition is getting massive support, 2250 signatures so far on day one .
PP76, debz1, Golfaholics and 4 others like this.
__________________
Living the dream in PP with my glass half full. .
  #20  
Old 17-04-2016, 17:55
allanglens's Avatar
*****
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bishopbriggs, Glasgow
Posts: 165
Default

Signed. Now, a boycott of Boulevard Gp to concentrate their minds?
  #21  
Old 17-04-2016, 19:09
snowy2007's Avatar
*****
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 1,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanglens View Post
Signed. Now, a boycott of Boulevard Gp to concentrate their minds?
What a great idea.

Restaurants in the group include Voss, O'Hara's, Australian Bar, Cana Poscador, Dakota, Cafe 1919, Donatello, Fusion and Santafe.
graham and Roy&Myra like this.

Last edited by snowy2007; 18-04-2016 at 10:56. Reason: Link removed.
  #22  
Old 17-04-2016, 20:07
*****
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Puerto Pollensa
Posts: 709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
'In the way'??? They've always been there and the alternative would be loads of tables and chairs
I meant that by moving it very somewhere nearby it could possibly improve the look of the paseo.

Boulevard could cover all costs.
  #23  
Old 17-04-2016, 20:08
*****
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,218
Default

I thought there was something up last year when they opened the shop...

But, even though it's unlikely we'll be out this year, there's absolutely zero way the hut should be removed or relocated.

What an absolute disgrace...
Words fail me...

Especially looking back over the recently posted historic pictures of PP..
The hut belongs in this place!...

If it does go through against all efforts, the 1919 won't ever see a cent from me...
  #24  
Old 17-04-2016, 21:59
sws97sdg's Avatar
*****
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,290
Default

Wasn't this brought up before, they said last year the kiosk was closing which is why they opened the shop wasn't it!!!!
__________________
Sant Antoni 2017

On island time!!
  #25  
Old 17-04-2016, 22:40
Sparky's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port de Pollença
Posts: 18,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Wasn't this brought up before, they said last year the kiosk was closing which is why they opened the shop wasn't it!!!!
Yes it was but why should the "money people" be allowed to take over from a long estiablished family run business ?. Tonight i have spoken to a few locals and they are furious about the situation, Valls is an institution which is used as much by the locals as it is by tourists and they are spoiling for a fight over this.
__________________
Living the dream in PP with my glass half full. .
  #26  
Old 18-04-2016, 10:10
*****
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,218
Default

La guerra del chiringito de Gelats Valls en el Puerto de Pollensa — EconomíadeMallorca | Noticias de actualidad económica y la última hora de Mallorca. Palma de Mallorca

(Google Translate)
Quote:
The controversy has broken out in the Port of Pollensa to account the possible closure of a beach bar ice cream. Located in the Paseo Anglada cameras for more than 50 years the small kiosk Gelats Valls has a municipal order closing but nevertheless continues to function and refuses to close the barrier.
...


Behind this collection of signatures there is much more history. At least that explains the consistory of Pollença. And it argues that in the previous legislature, more specifically the May 5, 2015, the City Council approved an extraordinary and improrrobable operating license of this place ended 31 December 2015. In this agreement the tender kiosk was planned for 2016.


According to the City "is a legal obligation that fixed kiosks in public domain are tendered and awarded with a public and open competition. The award without competition it implies administrative prevarication".


also it stresses that this kiosk reverted "to the City Council on January 1, 2016 and that the property of Gelats Valls knew which the kiosk can not be opened if the relevant authorization. Despite not having the corresponding administrative concession was decided to open" .
...
  #27  
Old 18-04-2016, 10:20
Sparky's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port de Pollença
Posts: 18,706
Default

Obviously if it has to go out to tender who is going to be able to pay the highest price...........not a small family business .

The petition now has 3380 signatures in 24 hours.
Roy&Myra likes this.
__________________
Living the dream in PP with my glass half full. .
  #28  
Old 18-04-2016, 10:33
*****
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Puerto Pollensa
Posts: 709
Default

As I had imagined, there are always two sides to a story.

Over twenty years, ago the Valls family signed an agreement with the town hall stating that on the 1st of January 2016 they would move or close the Kiosk.

This they are now refusing to do and have launched the appeal to try and persuade the town hall to extend same, even though they were given permission to open the ice cream store just up the road.

This, for obvious reasons, the town hall can´t realistically do.

The other problem is that Costas "own" the land the bars have their terraces.

Legally, the town hall can´t let people who want a larger terrace extend this more that what is strictly outside their business.

On the other hand, Costas can and does, which starts a bidding war in between the different businesses.

Therefore around four years ago the townhall held an informal meeting with them getting them to agree that they would not start bidding for their neigbours terrace space.

This they did and a gentlemans pact has been in place ever since.

The long and short of it is that Valls will have to submit a bid to the town hall, something they could have done some time ago, to be able to use the same spot, IF the town hall, costas and all the businesses on the front agree, as at this moment, it is not legal.

Cafe 1919 aren´t as such causing the problem, although they would be pleased to see it moved somewhere a bit farther away and will not inhibit the townhall or Valls if a suitable location can be found that will make everybody happy.
  #29  
Old 18-04-2016, 10:34
*****
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Puerto Pollensa
Posts: 709
Default

Was writing my post and have just seen the above article.

Seems that the person who gave me the information is right.
  #30  
Old 18-04-2016, 10:38
Sparky's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port de Pollença
Posts: 18,706
Default

Seems to me that Cafe 1919 would be the only ones happy to see the hut gone.
animagic21 and martinchip10 like this.
__________________
Living the dream in PP with my glass half full. .
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keep Europe’s Skies Open (Ryanair petition) mike_dublin Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca 2 01-07-2015 23:46
La Vall. pollensafan Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca 4 18-06-2015 07:06
La Vall (formerly La Roda) Bracken Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca 8 10-11-2014 10:41
Petition robjay Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports 0 02-03-2006 01:43
La Vall Restaurante Portofan Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca 1 08-10-2005 02:34


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(c) Copyright Holiday Webs Ltd 2011