Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   How do UK nationals who own spanish homes get over the border? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/14699-how-do-uk-nationals-who-own-spanish-homes-get-over-border.html)

JPALCOVER 20-05-2021 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootledodger (Post 132639)
So therefore it isn't a "brexit" issue - it's a EU/Spanish issue. "Poke a bear"??? behave yourself.

Rather a "NON-EU / Spanish" issue

fil6699 20-05-2021 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootledodger (Post 132639)
So therefore it isn't a "brexit" issue - it's a EU/Spanish issue. "Poke a bear"??? behave yourself.

If the UK was still in the EU this would not have append so yes I am afraid it is a Brexit Issue 100% and the Bear is the EU . :(

Tiggy 20-05-2021 08:45

An article in The Guardian also mentions this thorny subject ...headline reads

UK travellers to France may be asked proof of accommodation as part of post-Brexit changes.

Just for a bit of balance checked the The Daily Telegraph but no mention of the above yet

although they did write ....Liverpool are scoring goals and their centre-half is playing like a colossus. Jurgen Klopp must wish he could start this season again......:-)))))

bobley 20-05-2021 09:03

The regs say that if you can't prove the money/ accommodation issue then you can still enter if a you have a Visa, b have a residence card c, have an authorised return... I've no idea what c means...

Tiggy 20-05-2021 09:09

Booked return ticket..

In the 1980 s you could only buy charter flight which came with a voucher for two nights hostel accomodation to get around this bit of legislation.
Dan Air Gatwick to Ibiza 50 GBP return full luggage allowance and 3 course meal and a one year cardboard passport from the post office ....��

alcanadakid 20-05-2021 09:44

I suspect this is a "remainer" scare story.

The gov.uk website makes no mention of this and while the UK government doesn't make the EU rules this is their legal interpretion of them and would be open to litigation if it were wrong.

The airlines also make no mention of this and if it were true, then the cost of repatriating refused travellers would fall on them.

Immigration officials always have lots of rules that they could apply but don't, because there is a huge difference between "may" and "must".

Can we really believe that the two immigration officers at Palma would have the time to question everyone offloading from multiple flights when it is not in Spains economic interest to refuse entry?

Time will tell of course, but until then I will not be scared off.

bobley 20-05-2021 14:02

Its nothing to do with remainers, its just the facts... but just not all of them!

Its basically the Schengen system and the UK has a similar system. Just google UK immigration letter of invitation. It's exactly the same. There are lots of posts on tripadvisor asking the same questions but the ones I read were about Venezuelans coming to the UK.

This legislation has always been there but it didn't apply to us until now.

I did a bit more digging this morning and its certainly looking like you'd only need a letter of invitation if you arrived for a long stay and didn't have a return ticket.

Once ETIAS is running I'm fairly sure this will all disappear... but you'll end up filling out forms to regain your Visa exemption every couple of years...and I bet the forms are the same as those you'd do if you were applying for a ....Visa!

Hey ho. Vaccine 2 next Friday. Come on Spain!! get your rates down and get your vaccines up!

Saying that, although UK on the whole is doing okay the Indian variant is tearing its way through Bolton, Blackburn, bits of Nottingham, Bedford etc etc. Only take a couple of people to carry that into Spain after a false neg PCR, and Spain with almost no protection is in big trouble.

fil6699 20-05-2021 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcanadakid (Post 132646)

The gov.uk website makes no mention of this and while the UK government doesn't make the EU rules this is their legal interpretion of them and would be open to litigation if it were wrong.

The airlines also make no mention of this and if it were true, then the cost of repatriating refused travellers would fall on them.

Immigration officials always have lots of rules that they could apply but don't, because there is a huge difference between "may" and "must".

Can we really believe that the two immigration officers at Palma would have the time to question everyone offloading from multiple flights when it is not in Spains economic interest to refuse entry?

nothing to do with remainers scare story its a fact and yes they are turning people away now at Palma . it would appear that there is an agreement in place between the. Eu and UK that neither will enforce this but after 2022 a visa similar to USA Esta will be required
Never under estimate the boarder force in Spain. They have many tourists form Europe visiting. So as much as they love the British pound it is not the only source of income remember this applies the whole of Europe Mallorca and PP is just a small corner. You will note that the UK government site has many negative results of Brexit missing, But this is not a post Brexit debate its for information so people as has happened just this week do not get turned back at Palma . On my flight to London 3 weeks ago 2 people were on the flight who had been refused entry

Tiggy 20-05-2021 16:41

Update from GOV.​UK for:

Spain travel advice
Change made:
Further information on Schengen border controls on arrival in Spain where passengers who meet entry requirements may be asked to demonstrate sufficient funds for their stay, present a return or onward ticket, and proof of accommodation (‘Entry requirements’ page)

Time updated:
4:23pm, 20 May 2021

Bircho 20-05-2021 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by fil6699 (Post 132659)
nothing to do with remainers scare story its a fact and yes they are turning people away now at Palma . it would appear that there is an agreement in place between the. Eu and UK that neither will enforce this but after 2022 a visa similar to USA Esta will be required
Never under estimate the boarder force in Spain. They have many tourists form Europe visiting. So as much as they love the British pound it is not the only source of income remember this applies the whole of Europe Mallorca and PP is just a small corner. You will note that the UK government site has many negative results of Brexit missing, But this is not a post Brexit debate its for information so people as has happened just this week do not get turned back at Palma . On my flight to London 3 weeks ago 2 people were on the flight who had been refused entry

The difference is at the moment you can only enter Spain from the UK for a number of specified reasons. From when this is lifted (in next few days?) then tourism will be allowed it will be then that we will see how much they are enforcing the requirments. When three planes with 200 people on each arriving within 5 minutes of each other, how they will deal with that will be seen.

However, as stated, it is only a short term issue until 2022 when the new scheme launches.

bobley 20-05-2021 17:57

Well, this issue has made it into the press now...

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampp...brexit-changes

fil6699 20-05-2021 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bircho (Post 132662)
The difference is at the moment you can only enter Spain from the UK for a number of specified reasons. From when this is lifted (in next few days?) then tourism will be allowed it will be then that we will see how much they are enforcing the requirments. When three planes with 200 people on each arriving within 5 minutes of each other, how they will deal with that will be seen.

However, as stated, it is only a short term issue until 2022 when the new scheme launches.

whatever happens you are going to be faced with very long ques because each passport has to be examined and stamped. you cannot use the electronic barrier and in the old days when they were reading a magazine or something and just waved you through now they have to take your passport scan it and then stamp. this also applies when you leave to go back to UK passport has to be stamped in and out so ques both ways. Plus at the moment on entry examine covid test and QR code from Spanish health web site . it is bad enough now and nobody is traveling so when all the planes come in I recommend you have a good book to read as you wait . dont expect them to rush :rolleyes:
The good news is it will all be worth it to spend some time in paradise

Bircho 20-05-2021 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by fil6699 (Post 132666)
whatever happens you are going to be faced with very long ques because each passport has to be examined and stamped. you cannot use the electronic barrier and in the old days when they were reading a magazine or something and just waved you through now they have to take your passport scan it and then stamp. this also applies when you leave to go back to UK passport has to be stamped in and out so ques both ways. Plus at the moment on entry examine covid test and QR code from Spanish health web site . it is bad enough now and nobody is traveling so when all the planes come in I recommend you have a good book to read as you wait . dont expect them to rush :rolleyes:
The good news is it will all be worth it to spend some time in paradise

I agree. And remember when ETIAS launches egates will be back in operation so it is for 12 months or so at most.

pollensa 20-05-2021 18:43

It's worth signing up for updates (Email alerts) from the GOV website for Travel to Spain. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

This was today's change:

"Change made:
Further information on Schengen border controls on arrival in Spain where passengers who meet entry requirements may be asked to demonstrate sufficient funds for their stay, present a return or onward ticket, and proof of accommodation (‘Entry requirements’ page) "

And on that page:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

under Regular entry requirements (outside of Covid restrictions)

"At Spanish border control, you may need to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. You may also need to:

- show a return or onward ticket
- show you have enough money for your stay
- show proof of accommodation for your stay, for example, a hotel booking confirmation, proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home), or an invitation from your host or proof of their address if staying with a third party, friends or family. The Spanish Government has clarified that the “carta de invitation” is one of the options available to prove that you have accommodation if staying with friends or family. More information is available from the Spanish Ministry of Interior."

And this links to:

http://www.interior.gob.es/es/web/se...-de-invitacion

alcanadakid 10-06-2021 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcanadakid (Post 132646)

We arrived yesterday and the only change at immigration is that they now stamp your passport as well as scanning it. There were no questions or extra requests.

As I suspected it was a scare story