Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2021, 13:42

Default How do UK nationals who own spanish homes get over the border?

(Ignoring Visas as I wont be staying more than 90 days)

I cant quite fathom this yet.

Basically now we're "out" and our freedom of movement has gone, we need to abide by Spanish immigration regs. I dont think there's anything in the Withdrawal agreement to cover this.

When you come over the border you need to say why you're there.

Business, Tourism, Resident etc.

I'm not resident so I dont have a TIE (thinking about applying but thats a sledgehammer solution ...).

I wont be travelling on a package holiday so no hotel booking forms to justify "tourism"

Nor will I have anything to show that I'm on genuine business.

So, if you're a tourist going to stay in someone elses house you need a letter of invitation (“Carta de Invitación”). Applied for by the home owner, €75 ish euros, about a month to apply...

Carta de invitación - Ministerio del Interior

So it appears I'll need to do these forms for any of my friends who use my house..

What about me though? Do I just turn up with my Nota Simple (or a lease contract). What about my partner our my children who would be travelling with me?

I guess someone on here will find out exactly what happens in the next few days...?
Sponsored Links
Old 17-05-2021, 13:52

I dont like the way they use the word "may" ....

Entry Requirements

(Google translation)

"At any event, entry may be refused (even with a valid passport and/or visa) at police checks in the following cases:

- Journeys undertaken for the purposes of tourism or for private reasons
In these cases, the presentation of any of the following documents may be required:
1. A supporting document from the establishment providing accommodation or a letter of invitation from a private individual if the foreigner concerned is staying in their home, issued by the Police Station corresponding to their place of residence.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances shall the letter of invitation replace the foreigner's accreditation of all other entry requirements.
2. Confirmation of the booking of an organised trip, indicating the itinerary.
3. A return or round-trip ticket.
In order to accredit economic means, the provisions of Order PRE/1282/2007, of 10 May, on economic means, will be taken into account, which foreigners will need to accredit to be able to come into Spain. The amount to be accredited must reach a daily sum of 10% of the gross minimum wage set at 950 euros pursuant to Royal Decree 23/2020, of 4 February, establishing the minimum wage for 2020, which has been extended to 2021"

I wonder if you just need to have your return ticket available to show??

Last edited by bobley; 17-05-2021 at 14:14.
Old 17-05-2021, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobley View Post
(Ignoring Visas as I wont be staying more than 90 days)

I cant quite fathom this yet.

Basically now we're "out" and our freedom of movement has gone, we need to abide by Spanish immigration regs. I dont think there's anything in the Withdrawal agreement to cover this.

When you come over the border you need to say why you're there.

Business, Tourism, Resident etc.

I'm not resident so I dont have a TIE (thinking about applying but thats a sledgehammer solution ...).

I wont be travelling on a package holiday so no hotel booking forms to justify "tourism"

Nor will I have anything to show that I'm on genuine business.

So, if you're a tourist going to stay in someone elses house you need a letter of invitation (“Carta de Invitación”). Applied for by the home owner, €75 ish euros, about a month to apply...

Carta de invitación - Ministerio del Interior

So it appears I'll need to do these forms for any of my friends who use my house..

What about me though? Do I just turn up with my Nota Simple (or a lease contract). What about my partner our my children who would be travelling with me?

I guess someone on here will find out exactly what happens in the next few days...?

I think once the border is open fully hopeful after the 30th May you can carry your NIE with you and also your en padramento( Proof you pay taxes for property etc ) from the town hall which you will have if you own a property this will allow you to visit your home but taking into count the 90 day rule.Passports are now inspected and stamped in and out so 90 day rule is controlled
then you will have no problem because you are visiting your second home , No need to over complicate it Brexit has already done that lol
As for people coming on Holiday to your house family etc they are simply tourists staying at your house
Carol likes this.

Last edited by fil6699; 17-05-2021 at 15:52.
Old 17-05-2021, 17:17

I confess I am totally ignorant about travelling to PP now we are out of the EU.
Normally we visit for a couple of weeks, 3 or 4 times a year. We do not own a property.
We hire a private apartment from Spanish or English homeowners in the Port. Once we stayed at the Sis Pins.
Will the only means of visiting PP now be to stay in a hotel or Villa owned by a holiday Company?
Thanks for any informationm.
Old 17-05-2021, 18:44

I understood that the UK is exempt from this as have an agreement in place. From 2022 you will need to complete a visa waiver form ETIAS.
El Gordo likes this.

Last edited by lollipop; 17-05-2021 at 20:00.
Old 17-05-2021, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by animagic21 View Post
I confess I am totally ignorant about travelling to PP now we are out of the EU.
Normally we visit for a couple of weeks, 3 or 4 times a year. We do not own a property.
We hire a private apartment from Spanish or English homeowners in the Port. Once we stayed at the Sis Pins.
Will the only means of visiting PP now be to stay in a hotel or Villa owned by a holiday Company?
Thanks for any informationm.

you will be able to holiday as you did before the only difference will be covid restrictions and passport control no more electric barriers have to have passport stamped in and out and max stay 90 days in a rolling 180 days . ALL Will be welcome soon
LK1960, El Gordo, lollipop and 2 others like this.
Old 17-05-2021, 20:07

That is certainly reassuring. Thank you.
Old 18-05-2021, 08:36

It sounds like theres a concensus. I understand the visa and visa waiver but there's certainly nothing easy to find saying you can dodge the invitation letter but I'm sure there's something there because no ones talking about it. I think it's likely a thing going on between UK and spain post brexit rather than a feature of the withdrawal document...
Old 18-05-2021, 13:32
Super Moderator

Two people were refused entry in Palma yesterday, they are owners but not residents, so until June 1st the border is still closed to non residents.
Old 18-05-2021, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Two people were refused entry in Palma yesterday, they are owners but not residents, so until June 1st the border is still closed to non residents.
Not the least bit surprised to hear that, hence my comments a week ago that people in the UK are mostly blissfully unaware that Spain won't let them in.
bobley likes this.
Old 18-05-2021, 17:01

Quote:
Do we know if the border will definitely be open from 1st June?
How would we be notified?
Old 18-05-2021, 17:09
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorcaboy View Post
Do we know if the border will definitely be open from 1st June?
How would we be notified?
To be absolutely sure you need to check the official government websites .

Remember that things are often changing on a daily basis .
Old 18-05-2021, 17:21

Quote:
To be absolutely sure you need to check the official government websites .

Remember that things are often changing on a daily basis .
Do you mean UK government website or Spain’s?
Old 18-05-2021, 18:05

I think that the U.K. Government’s position is very clear. I know exactly what is required to re-enter the U.K. from an “Amber” country. What we are waiting for anxiously is the go ahead to actually legitimately arrive at Palma Airport and be allowed into the island. So many people (frankly how stupid can you be) can’t grasp the difference between U.K. and Spanish rules. I still hold out a little hope for our June flights, but try very hard not to get my hopes up. Already had too many disappointments. Who’d have thought that 2021 would actually be worse than last year?
James, LK1960, Rockape and 1 others like this.
Old 18-05-2021, 22:07
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorcaboy View Post
Do you mean UK government website or Spain’s?
Both now that the UK is out of the Eurozone .