Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/)
-   -   Mobile Broadband Plug Ins for Laptops? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/3103-mobile-broadband-plug-ins-laptops.html)

James 23-02-2010 00:38

I bought a new replacement Vodafone PAYG dongle (USB Modem) from the Vodafone shop in the old town on Avenida Argentina in December for 49 Euros.

Gommar Goffer 23-02-2010 13:01

A question for the techies among you.

If I bought a spanish (vodaphone say) PAYE dongle for use in PP. Would it work if I put UK sim (free internet contract) into it in UK to run lap top through?

GG :)

gina39uk 23-02-2010 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 40307)
I bought a new replacement Vodafone PAYG dongle (USB Modem) from the Vodafone shop in the old town on Avenida Argentina in December for 49 Euros.

James as a matter of interest how much credit was there on your new dongle included in the €49?

I'm looking to replace my old dongle when I'm over next month.

James 25-02-2010 00:30

Vodafone Dongle

There was 200MB. I used that up and then reverted to my original sim from my previous dongle to continue adding to the reward puntos Vodafone Spain provide after each top-up... not that I know how or when I'll ever use them!

Michael 26-02-2010 17:47

Dongle Answer

Yes, - go to the Vodaphone shop in Avenue Argentina, Pollenca (just turn right at the cockerel island, over the crossroad & it's on your left). A dongle costs €59 Euros which lasts for 3 months, after that you top it up. You need your passport to register your purchase. I bought one and it was easy (I am not good with computers) - you are supplied with a SIM which you put in the supplied dongle, plug in and that's it (in fact I'm using it for internet now !)There's also a Movistar shop in Puerto Pollensa next to the small Eroski which offer their version.

Grandad 23-05-2010 10:49

Dongle !!!!!

Not being tech minded , I would like to be able to use a Dongle.. You quote for a three month period.. How do you then top up? Does that mean for your 39 euro that is the full cost for three months no matter how ofton you use it? Has anyone used Moviestar in the port to obtain one of these? What happens if you dont top up, Can you just restart the next year?
Any advice would be welcome..

frito 23-05-2010 11:04

Vodafone Dongle

I have a laptop which I use with a Spanish vodafone pay-as-you-go SIM, and occasionally use a friend's contract SIM. Both work really well here in Puerto Pollensa.
Earlier in the year I went to the UK and used a UK PAYG SIM in my Spanish dongle. I just plugged it in and it worked perfectly.

I'm about to change to a contract with Vodafone. The man in the Vodafone shop in Pollenca has been particularly helpful.

I hope this is useful.

Frito

susiejb 23-05-2010 12:47

I think alot more places have it now.

I have a 3 Connect dongle that I use in the UK. Does anyone know if this is likely to work in PP.
Last year I managed with free internet at the Daina etc, and I must say it was excellent, I think a lot more places have it now.

gina39uk 23-05-2010 15:07

The 'dongle' itself should work anywhere. ( your computer will search for the correct driver/connection) however, you can only use a Spanish sim card when in Spain.
€39 euros I'm afraid will not buy you endless useage for 3 months! I always top up with €60 euros which is for 1 GB but runs out after 3 months if you don't top up again. You can keep topping up with just €20 euros if only out for a week and this should suffice. Depends how often you use it really.

Mine was purchased from Vodafone in Pollensa. I believe (only hearsay) that Movistar are more expensive.

Hope this helps.

** Forgot to say - your UK dongle with UK sim card WILL work in Spain but you will be charged a very high rate per minute. Beware!

susiejb 23-05-2010 18:17

Thank you for that info ..............I think I will stickto the freeebies !!

elljay 23-05-2010 20:06

It all sounds too complicated for me! I tend to use the internet in the Daina. Where is the cheapest access in the resort?

pollensa 23-05-2010 20:43

If anyone needs to use internet for business (as I did recently on our cruise to Norway - you lot are included in the business!), I used an Orange dongle with UK Sim. If you request travel daily data, you get 50 Mb a day for £7 (+VAT) - you only get charged once you start using it that day. I chose Orange because you don't need to take out a 12 month contract for the dongle. You pay separately for the dongle £30 & then £15 a month for 3GB of data in the UK & can cancel at any time.

Obviously this isn't cheap if it's just for private use but if you need it for business, it was the best & most flexible deal I could find.

(& yes I will write a review on the Tapas Bar about our great cruise to Norway. Thanks to Sparky & Jane for moderating while I was away!) :)

wittonian 16-06-2010 16:54

Vodafone internet & shop

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have found it very helpful just browsing.

I understand that Vodofone has recently (March 2010) put into operation a new Internet system for pay as you go. I think that you text Vodafone with a set 'quote' and then you can have access for 0.5 euros a day. Does anyone know how this works please.

Also does anyone have the phone number of the Vodafone shop in Pollensa or an email address for it. When we are in Majorca we go the port often but not so much the town. I have looked on the net but cannot find a number. Maybe its in another name and the shop are just agents. We are out there from next week and want to know how the new system actually works.

Thanks in advance.

wittonian 16-06-2010 18:53

Further to my post above, I understand that this an offer which ends on 30 June 2010. Apparently you text TPTARJETA to 22521.

Wittonian

frito 16-06-2010 19:20

Vodafone Shop

Yes, the Vodafone shop is under another name. It is Embulls. They are authorised distributors for Vodafone.

The shop in Avenida Argentina (no. 10) has both phone and fax.

Phone: 871 707 908

Fax: 871 707 910

email address is: pollensa@embulls.net

I hope this is useful.

Frito:)