Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/)
-   -   Mobile Broadband Plug Ins for Laptops? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/3103-mobile-broadband-plug-ins-laptops.html)

Mark 21-08-2008 22:06

You must have an Eeepc ASUS | Eee PC :)

As this thread is about people with Windows PC's I have started another thread so people dont get confused, as Linux devices need different settings and software.

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...html#post24341

You can use firefox or any browser or email program, as once you are connected the computer works just as though it is plugged in at home to your broadband connection, its no different, just no wires :)

Mark.

Paul S 12-09-2008 11:04

Cheap way to use modemwork in Spain

Hi

I bought a vodafone UK modem for £50 and had to buy one months subscription for £20 which I cancelled immediately.
My local Vodafone shop said I needed to pay an additional £20 to unlock the modem. When I didnt recieve an unlock code I chased up and Vodafone confirmed it was already unlocked and they refunded my £20. On arrival in Pollensa I went to the Vodafone shop and purchased 150 meg of data for 20 euros. It worked a treat and was ample for a couple of hours work a day over 3 week holiday - saving me £180 against using a UK sim.

Hope this helps

Paul:):)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 23013)
Did you get this working Paul ?

Mark

pollensa 12-09-2008 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 25051)
On arrival in Pollensa I went to the Vodafone shop and purchased 150 meg of data for 20 euros.

Hi Paul,

that sounds very cheap. Can you confirm what exactly it was that you bought in Pollensa. Was it a Spanish SIM including data or just a data topup? Did you have to take your UK SIM out of the dongle & put a Spanish one in? i.e. how did you install/activate whatever it was that you purchased in Pollensa. It sounds so much cheaper than the other options described above.

Thanks.

graham 12-09-2008 12:08

I found it really easy this time. I went to Vodafone in Pollensa, bought a dongle and a spanish PAYG SIM which I'll simply top up whenever I come out. No problem whatsoever especially as the girl in the shop speaks perfect English. Her mother comes from 't Leeds.

Sparky 12-09-2008 12:13

That sounds good Graham, how much did it cost in total?.:)

pollensa 12-09-2008 12:13

Thanks Graham.

But I'm really interested in having a UK one that I can use in other countries as well without paying roaming charges. Unfortunately running this site & forum, means that I cannot go anywhere without accessing the internet for at least an hour a day. :mad: Fortunately most places have wi-fi now but it can restrict where you stay.

graham 12-09-2008 13:51

It was (I think) 69 Euros. You can obviously top it up with different amounts when you come out. All you need to do is take the card back to the shop and they'll top it up for you

Sparky 12-09-2008 18:48

Thank you Graham, that is a good price. I will look into it next month.:D

graham 13-09-2008 07:35

Just remembered -if you're using a mac you'll need to download a piece of software to make the dongle work. You can find it at www.vodafone.es/macmodem. It's really easy, though. Even I could do it and I have a physical aversion to the words 'download' and 'software' especially when in close proximity to one another!

If you're on PC it's simply Plug 'n Play.

Paul S 15-09-2008 17:01

They took the UK Sim out and replaced it with a spanish sim and they had to phone from the shop to activate it. For further top ups I use the same Spanish sim. Back in UK I replace it with the UK sim
Hope this helps
Paul

Sharonh 28-10-2008 09:28

I know the thread has moved on slightly but I thought I would post to say we bought a Vodafone dongle in the Vodafone Shop in Pollensa. It was €69 and included 150mb. It was really easy to set up. The lady, as previously mentioned, speaks perfect English and is very helpful.

Top Ups are €19 for 150mb or €39 for 400mb. The top ups last for 3 months so if you are only out on holiday any top up above this amount is unlikely to be used.

Sharon:)

Calle De Pescador 21-09-2009 12:46

Dongle Update

Hi guys,
I have been going to Puerto for 40 years now but I am a newbie to your site :wave:

Please can you tell me what the latest best option for a PAYG dongle is and where the best shop to buy it from is?

I look forward to becoming an active member of your forum :D

PS. We are out in the port in October half term - can't wait

its cd 22-02-2010 11:49

lots of useful info here but quite old

Can anyone give me advice about the cheapest was of getting mobile internet whilst in PP ...... apart from finding wifi of course

Mark 22-02-2010 12:05

Hello CD,

Whaleywanderer has very recently bought the Vodafone Spain PAYG dongle, and it works :)

Not sure where is the best place buy at the moment or the current price, I am sure Whaley will find this thread and offer some advice soon.

Mark

Belladonna 22-02-2010 12:54

I don't know if any of the adverts may help, but could give an idea somewhere for you. (1st link)