Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pollensa
  • 3 Post By eleanor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 11:45
Founder

Exclamation Booking Private Rental Properties - Be Safe!

I'm repeating this advice posted last July as we're starting to hear about email fraud again. This advice refers to any properties booked privately via our site at PuertoPollensa.com Rentals or any other Rental Website. The majority of rental websites relay enquiries direct to an advertiser's email account. Unfortunately there are internet scams whereby the advertiser's email account has been hacked, email enquires redirected to a fraudster who responds on their behalf, asking for payment to a bank account etc.

To be sure that you are dealing with the advertiser

- check the name of the respondent & see if it matches the contact name given;
- does the price & currency match the rates on the advert?
- when a booking is confirmed, is the calendar updated to show it as booked?

and above all TELEPHONE the advertiser using the number on the advert (not the email!) to confirm a booking and when making payment arrangements.

Just a few extra steps to be sure!
Sparky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2014, 14:37

This is very good advice and care should always be taken. I would just like to make a point that security works both ways and private owners need to be careful what information they pass on too.

As an owner who rents her property I do not put my surname on my ad but I do put my mobile phone number and welcome calls from potential holiday makers. We no longer have a land line as we have no need for one.

I do not update my calendar and I am aware that other owners prefer not to for the simple reason again of security. To update is to allow the comings and goings within our villa to be noted. We have had a break in and concluded that thieves were aware of when the villa would be occupied or empty and one easy way is for them to check availability calendars. The where abouts of villas is much easier to detect than apartments and much easier to access I believe. We have also had a situation where someone left the villa and then returned later knowing the villa to be empty the week after their holiday. Both sides need to be careful.

We try to encourage Paypal use rather than direct bank transfers so that a renter can be assured that things are ok.

So while the advice Pollensa gives is good advice please do not assume that because a calendar is not updated or because a full name isn't given or a land line isn't available that the booking is risky. Please also be very aware that it can be a holiday company which lets the holiday renter down by setting up a company and advertising property which it has no right to rent.

Care needs to be taken and common sense used but for every 1000 of rentals made i'm sure there are only a tiny number which are related to fraud. The best way forward is to always speak to the owner landline or mobile. They will know more about their property than any fraudster and will be able to provide more info re the property and the area.
Belladonna, animagic21 and Lorenzo like this.

Last edited by eleanor; 02-11-2014 at 14:16. Reason: typo