Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-02-2008, 14:50

Hi Sandy

We were there early October - don't know if open all year round. Yes, it is Es Verger. The drive up is a single track road (there are some pull ins but you need to keep you wits about you).

We are back in Pollensa (town this time) in May for 2 weeks - so hope to go sometime then.

Sandradee
Sponsored Links
Old 20-03-2008, 12:14

Exclamation

Did the drive up and survived!! Only just though and dont think we will do it again! It is worse than any drive we have done on the island. VERY narrow road, steep, hardly any pull in places (luckily we only had to pull in once very near the top where it was slightly easier) and hair pin bends every two seconds - well it seemed like it!
Refused to have any sort of conversation on the way up incase it distracted hubby, and my hands were killing me from holding the seat and the door handle. Didnt even realise I was doing it till we stopped in the car park!
Passed quite a few walkers on the way up. Everyone attempts to get to the restaurant by 1PM when food is served.
Yes, it is worth it. The views are amazing and the restaurant is very atmospheric, like a converted barn with a log fire and a huge oven. The lamb, suckling pig and many other dishes are prepared out of sight unfortunately, then put into the oven from behind I think and pulled out one after another when ordered. you dont have to wait longer than 5 mins!
Wine is a little bit rough though!
Decided to do the walk from the restaurant up to the castle. Took about an hour. Wonderful scenery, bit of treck though. They are improving the church right at the very top, and there is a bar with food and water!!!! Amazing find! Donkeys bring everything up. But it is hit and miss as to whether its open, luckily for us it was when we got there as we had left the water in the car by the restaurant!!
Would I do it again! Not until Ive forgotten that drive up!!
Old 20-04-2008, 22:27

Smile

Yes, this is a lovely restaurant. We've been going there for years - believe me the road is much easier to contend with nowadays!
We went back last Autumn and noticed a sign saying that they were closed on Mondays - I just mention that in case anyone decides that is 'the day' for heading up there for the fabulous lamb. They also only take cash so be prepared - or you might end up washing up for a very long time
An old favourite to finish off a meal there was the 'flaming brandy' which came served in shallow earthenware dishes with slices of lemon in them. Really delicious! (none for the driver though!!) Enjoy!
Old 27-04-2008, 11:22

Yes, I can vouch for the fact that they're closed Mondays! Too busy following directions to read the sign at the bottom of the road. After the usual horrendous drive up that bumpy potholed road (in a Smart car no less!!) only to find no sign of life! I'll just have to work up to doing it again in summer.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:40

Smile Es Verger

Went to Es Verger at Alaro in mid July.

It is exactly how pollensa describes it.

As a family we were delighted with the rustic charm and ambience and of course the succulent lamb.

Using some basic Spanish we had a chat with the very elderly lady who cooks the lamb as to how she does it and what she puts in it.

We went at lunchtime and the latter part of the journey up from Alaro is along a very twisty narrow "road" with few passing places but well worth the effort.

We headed for Alaro town centre and followed the pink "Castello de Alaro "signs