Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-07-2008, 00:05

Default Out and About in Pollensa - Hotel Formentor

I've always wanted to visit the hotel in Formentor where Winston Churchill used to stay...if we get the glass bottomed boat from Stay, will it be walkable from there? Has anyone been to the hotel for coffee/drinks? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 18-07-2008, 00:15
Super Moderator

I don't know if this is true but someone once told me that it has very tight security to keep non residents out.
Old 18-07-2008, 09:02
Founder

I don't think you can go into the hotel just for a drink. You can book a day there (& pay) to use the pool etc. or book a meal. You can also use the bar and/or restaurant that is on the beach in front of the hotel - when you arrive just walk further up the beach past the first lot of cafes etc. The sun lougers there are just for hotel guests (I think).

However the hotel was recently taken over by Barcelo group so this may have changed.
Old 18-07-2008, 13:14

make sure you take plenty of money with you

we went 2 years ago, 4 of us visited for lunch with friends of ours that arent stuck for a few bob who wanted to do something special for us for letting them stop with us the night at our apartment

we rang in the morning to book and were advised of the dress code, men no shorts or t shirts ladies no bikini tops or swim suits with a sarong on the bottom half etc

it was very nice but nothing out of the ordinary really and others there not my kind of people tbh

it was about 300 euro for 4 of us including a few drinks, no joking, bottle of wine was around 40 euro and a spirit and mixer was around 15 euro if memory serves me correct

i have the receipt somewhere as i couldnt believe it

and no i didnt pay it was a treat from very good friends, but not worth it imo

hope that helps
Old 18-07-2008, 15:28

Default Beach restaurant/bar

Hello everyone.

The beach restaurant is an all you can eat buffet. You have a choice of only sea food, which is 50€/head with 1 drink or 69€ for the full meat and fish buffet. I have to say it is lovely food and the scenery is incredible. i have been many times and the dress code isnt that strict, i have been many times in shorts and a T-shirt.

Also i am lucky enough not to have to pay full price, my girlfriends dad is the head chef!

hope that helps.

Last edited by Nick Barnard; 18-07-2008 at 15:31.
Old 18-07-2008, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Barnard View Post
Hello everyone.

The beach restaurant is an all you can eat buffet. You have a choice of only sea food, which is 50€/head with 1 drink or 69€ for the full meat and fish buffet. I have to say it is lovely food and the scenery is incredible. i have been many times and the dress code isnt that strict, i have been many times in shorts and a T-shirt.

Also i am lucky enough not to have to pay full price, my girlfriends dad is the head chef!

hope that helps.

as i said then its more than a tad expensive at 70 euro a head for lunch

as i said when we booked a couple of years ago on the phone we were advised not to wear shorts or t shirts which is obviously not the case now
Old 19-07-2008, 07:45

Smile Out and About in Majorca

Thanks everyone for all your tips on visiting the hotel at Formentor......the beach restaurant sounds good.......looking forward to having a look next week, will let you know how we get on!!!
Old 19-07-2008, 12:32
Founder

Do be aware that the beach restaurant is as described 'on the beach' & outside the 'fence' surrounding the hotel so I'm afraid you won't get to visit the actual hotel. As mentioned above they did used to offer a 'day pass' to include use of their pool etc. but I don't know if they still do that.
Old 26-07-2008, 19:45

As you get off the boat there is a rather tacky looking cafe but if you walk along the pathway to the right, the next beach bar has just been given a face lift!! Decking and comfy chairs have replaced the white plastic ones, and there is a reasonably priced Italian based menu. IMO a much nicer setting than the one in front of the hotel as it is raised up and the view is spectacular...and it is owned by the hotel .

When we were there this week Abramovich's obscenely huge yacht was moored off shore!!
Old 26-07-2008, 21:11

Smile formentor

We were in Formentor on Thursday, caught the bus from PP 2.20 euros each return for myself and husband. Didn't get to the hotel but did have lunch at the beach cafe you mentioned, lovely food and location. It was a big boat, wasn't it... looked like a submarine!!!
Old 27-07-2008, 03:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
When we were there this week Abramovich's obscenely huge yacht was moored off shore!!
Debz - who is Abramovich?
Old 27-07-2008, 11:13

The cafe as you get off the boat in Formentor does dominate the area but the food is in fact very good.

Self service with a nice fresh salad bar, as much as you can fit on your plate for 7€ - Hot buffet also, with chefs replenishing all the time (again fill your plate!!) for 9.50€ (this also includes a bread roll and butter).
We had chicken breast (large), brocolli (aldente) and freshly cooked fries. They also had choices of fish, escalope and a pasta dish.

We also saw a counter where you could get sardines or steaks with fries and veg, not sure exactly how much but between 10 - 12€. These were cooked to order.

A good choice of reasonably priced drinks, sweets and sandwiches.

We found it ideal as a lunch time eatery and the quality of the food good.
Old 27-07-2008, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzzzz View Post
Debz - who is Abramovich?
Linzzzz Abramovich is a VERY rich Russian who bought Chelsea Football Club for £150m in 2003
Old 28-07-2008, 08:19

In sept 2006 we spent day at Hotel Formentor, it was 20 euros per head to go in hotel and use pool etc, pool man brought towels out for us. At lunchtime we walked down to the beach restauraunt and went upstairs for the buffet, I think it was 45 euros each but they deducted the 20 euros each we paid for using the pool facilities. We went again last sept and the hotel had changed hands and they would not allow day visitors anymore, spent day on the beach but still went to restaurant for the buffet lunch, I think it was 49 euros each, not cheap but excellent as a holiday treat. Informed by wife we will be there again this september so if you see someone in shorts & t-shirt making quite a few trips to the buffet table to get their monies worth you will know it is me.