Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 22:26
mearsy

Default Es Verger - Alaro - hilltop restauraunt that was on TV?

I've been trying to recall a certain restauraunt that was on a series about Mallorca that was presented by Julia Swahalia's (sp?!) sister. The programmed followed a bloke that had moved to Mallorca from the UK and he had planned a special lunch for his family at this special hill top restauraunt. He was a bit of a character and the drive was quite entertaining and hair raising if I remember right. The thing that was special about this place was the lamb dish, I have a feeling it's in Alaro?

I'd quite like to find this place when we go to PP on saturday
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07
Founder

It's probably 'es verger' which is on the way up to Alaro Castle. A lot of people drive up there - quite hair raising - park & walk/climb up to the castle & then return for the meal. We just had the meal! Yes it's wonderful & you must have the lamb. It's very rustic & you just find yourself a seat wherever you can as it gets very busy.

most of the guide books have some basic directions. If you have a map you should see Castel d'Alaro marked.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:00
mearsy

Thankyou, I have read about it in my rough guide and thought that was the one.
Old 14-05-2007, 06:22
Gommar Goffer

Hi Mearsy - we found the place at Easter this year by accident - followed the signs to the castell. Hair-raising drive up but nothing to the drive we took to Cabo de Formentor when the visibility through the cloud cover was less than 20 yards!!! Couldn't see the sides of the road!

The restaurant below the castell is very rustic and we did not try it but it was packed to the rafters with locals.
Old 23-05-2007, 06:27

mearsy,

I saw the programme. The guy was "Leapy Lee" an old pop singer from nineteen oatcake, (the seventies probably),

regards,

jimbo
Old 25-05-2007, 15:32

Yep - "Leapy" had a hit with "Little Arrows" - truly dreadful imo - in fact he seemed to yodel through it! ("oh oh oh the pain....") One of mother's favourites!:\
Old 27-05-2007, 03:22

lala, just for your Mum

ok folks after 3
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iOg7P_GUWU

Carl
Old 27-05-2007, 05:39

carl,

Thanks for that ..brought back memories, some even good.aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

cheers,

jimbo
Old 27-05-2007, 15:53

Thanks Carl!

Not as bad as I remembered - WORSE!!! LOL!

Lala :rollin
Old 27-05-2007, 18:26

Hello Guys!

As you may have guessed I'm more a reader than a poster but I feel I really must come to the defense of my old friend Leapy Lee! For those of you who are old enough to remember, many a happy night was spent in my Music Bar/Hostal thanks to Leapy! For several years Leapy appeared there 2 nights a week throughout the summer and was so popular that people used to come into the bar BEFORE they went into their dinner (at the Flora & surrounding apts) & leave coats on the seats to reserve their places! The kids loved him as well as the parents & a great time was had by all!

I believe Leapy is still going strong in the Palma area & long may he do so. They don't make artists like him anymore!
What great memories!

Gina (also still going strong!)
Old 27-05-2007, 19:04
Founder

OK guys,

do discuss Leapy Lee in the Tapas Bar (or in a separate thread) - but please keep this thread on Es Verger restaurant.

Thanks Webmaster.
Old 12-02-2008, 21:42

Well we decided to go to Alaro to the restaurant up the hill - 2 adults and son and his girlfriend. The drive up was very exciting?? just hoped we did not meet anyone coming down. Once we arrived all got out of the car (but couple of us felt a bit unsteady), so we decided to have a drink they go on to Palma.

Husband insists that we go back there (on our own), after watching Rick Stein - very interesting.

Beautiful views and so very quiet.

loved it and have to go back for another look see.

Sandradee
Old 12-02-2008, 22:37

Cool

Saw this a year ago on tv. Its a restaurant behind old barn like doors isnt it? Evidently they cook lamb to die for. We are going to try and find it next month, but will perhaps take travel sickness tablets for the drive up!!
Old 12-02-2008, 22:55

yes, definitely the place for lamb meal. Most people walk up to the castle then head back down for the meal of lamb. Definitely a must try place. Noticed they sold liquor - must make sure hubby does not have any - else the drive down will be very interesting.

It is certainly a place to go to.

Sandradee
Old 13-02-2008, 09:33

Hi Sandradee

What time of year did you visit? I'd heard a lot about this place (is it Es Verger?). We go out to PP every couple of months, but didn't want to make the trek then find it was closed! Anyone know if its open all year round?