Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 21:00

I understand that but I love seeing the beach completely empty in winter and there seems to be many more than previous years, the toilet blocks are still there as well, perhaps the are leaving them there this year?

On island time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 18-11-2013, 21:05
Super Moderator

Yes there are a lot more in some areas but if we get the weather they have just forecast for tomorrow i think it's a good thing, without them the beach might blow away .
lollipop likes this.
Old 19-11-2013, 11:17

I agree sparky and they actually left the toilets on last year as well.
Sparky likes this.
Old 19-11-2013, 12:47

They do seem to be there to protect the toilets and the bar, they don't have them all along the beach, perhaps its good to remind people that this is part is an artificial beach which is why they need them, before they brought the sand in there was only a rocky outcrop where the beach bar is, some of you will reminder this? its before my time, also there used to be a small area of rocks where we used to go crabbing and you could sit on which seem to have disappeared over the years.

On island time!!
Old 19-11-2013, 16:41

Have to agree that there do appear to be more this year than last year. Add that to the dog enclosure, I do feel the romance of a windswept beach is missing! BUT ~ I do agree that it is a necessary evil to preserve the sand and avoid too much mess when the wind turns to blow it all over the roads and into the hotels and beyond! Perhaps I wont have to spend a whole week cleaning the shutters from orange to white again next year! Ha! Some hope!
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 19-11-2013, 21:13
Super Moderator

Bella I know what you mean about the orange dust, my shutters are brown but it's still a pain to clean it off them and the white tiles on the balconies .
However i don't think this comes from the sand on the beach here, we only seem to get it when we have rain and wind coming up from Africa, so it must be Sahara sand .
Old 19-11-2013, 21:18

I think you're right Sparky, wherever it blows in from its a backache and arm ache to get rid of!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:09
Super Moderator

This has been posted on a related thread but i thought it was worth posting it here as well, from the DDM Colocan 1.200 metros de pantallas eólicas para preservar la playa dels Tamarells - Diario de Mallorca, translated by Google.

QUOTE]Standing 1,200 meters wind screens to preserve the beach Tamarells
They have installed artificial windbreaks because the sand disappeared leaving scattered ride London - The neighborhood association has invested 13,000 euros in these media created by a municipal technical

12/03/2013 | 6:50
Some of the barriers installed wind during these days at the beach Tamarells
Some of the barriers installed wind during these days at the beach Tamarells
Pep Córcoles Protecting the sandy strip known as Tamarells beach in Port de Pollença has required the placement of 1,200 meters wind screens. These screens have been specially designed and constructed to prevent winter storms move the sand of this artificial beach.
Installing this conservation system was one of the new requirements that the Council accepts established in the specifications of the new tender operation of municipal beaches.
neighbors association opted to Port de Pollença and such tender was won. For this reason the local authority itself has taken over the execution of the works. The association has realized the project screens with a cost of 13,300 euros.

Cargo
"This amount has fully paid the concessionaire, as part of the contractual obligations of the exploitation of beaches, plus cleaning during the winter and maintaining the infrastructure of the beach," adds Councillor for the Environment, Maria Buades.
"We are aware that an artificial beach is not sustainable over time and therefore included this requirement in the administrative conditions that governed the competition.'s intention has been to simulate the operation of a natural beach to avoid lose the main asset of the beach sediment, "says the mayor, Bartomeu Encrypt. Screens have held up well storms last week. Notably, in the Port of Pollença were recorded winds of 130 kilometers per hour. The prototype, designed by the technical environment of the City Antoni March, based on studies of the UIB, has been tested over the past three years, noting that simulates almost one hundred percent the effect of natural beach dunes .
For every meter screen on the beach are collected almost two cubic meters of sand that otherwise would be transported to ride behind the sandy area, and eventually it would go removed from the beach.
Thus, the potential effect of this project is to contain up to 2,400 cubic meters of sand, highly considerable for this beach.
's days brunt of winds of this component, northeast and north, the sand up from the beach and is deposited on the ride London, made it is also a problem of nuisance for residents who live in the homes of first shipping line.
With the installation of these screens is less effective, "although physically can not guarantee containment of the sand on the beach since it is a very dynamic area, "says the coach. In any case, yes it will "reduce the negative effects of the loss of sand adds, including security for persons traveling for the ride."

Feedback
The beach of Port de Pollença was examined twice filler sand, the last in 1992 in an area that historically existing beach was rocks and stones, as there is in the neighborhood of Llenaire, positioned a Further south.
's problem is that artificial beaches do not have a second line plant barrier that facilitates the creation of dunes. The combination of dunes and vegetation makes the air force lost and dissipated in turbulence, depositing sand rather than take it. In the absence of this natural device, the artificial beach is exposed to the wind without proper protection to keep the sediment.
's sandy beaches Islands is 80 percent formed from the remains of tiny shells of marine animals , hence its color and texture, and its value, since the production of new sand is very limited.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31

They seem to be working, there are large piles of sand collecting behind them, I assume they just redistribute this at the end of the winter!
Sparky likes this.

On island time!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42
Super Moderator

SWS, yes they do work very well as has been proved over the last few weeks with the storms we have had. I think they will redistribute the sand as and when needed, i had a look at the webcam earlier and it looks like a tractor has been about down there today .
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46

There is quite a lot of sand that has been blown onto the road in the Tamarells area.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:54
Super Moderator

Yes Whaley but no where near as much as there would have been without them .
Old 26-01-2014, 14:44

The amount of sand that has built up at these wooden fences is unbelievable!
I remember last march when we came to puerto where the cafe is on the beach just further down than the police station the sand at the waters edge was so high, I couldn't see my family at the cafe as I stood in the sea, but in October when we returned it was all flat again. Weird eh!!
Old 26-01-2014, 14:52
Super Moderator

Yes it's amazing how the winter storms move the sand, the fences have worked well this year so far. The tractors will probably be out by the end of March/early April, pushing it all back and making it nice and level again .
lollipop likes this.
Old 06-03-2014, 22:39

Question Prospect of beds early april??

Hola,

Counting down to our April break, and so looking forward to my first spring holiday in PP for many years; we've been loving our summer hols in the port but it can just be too darn hot for doing much except sea and sand! We hope to do a bit of general wandering and walking, while enjoying the run-up to Easter, but also love chilling out with a book on the beach, especially along the Pine Walk.

I suspect there will be no news for a few weeks yet (from past experience!) but I would really appreciate any info as to the likelihood of beds and brollies being in place by then (we're here from 7th April). Don't mind stretching out on the sand but elderly mum isn't so nimble!

Muchas Gracias for any updates