Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-05-2010, 21:31

Default Los Zarzales -Baby broad beans

I can't resist the baby broad beans served as a starter at Los Zarzales, the only time I don't order it is when my wife has ordered it (sometimes as a main course!) Does anyne have the recipe?

Last edited by mpg.mk1; 24-07-2011 at 19:56. Reason: Typo
Old 28-07-2010, 13:03
Under Moderation

Please let me know if you find it - it is the most gorgeous thing I have ever eaten! I havent been able to get back to PP for a couple of years but this is the first place I would be heading for............
Old 03-08-2010, 17:28

We have just returned from 2 weeks in PP (will do a overview of the eating and drinking when we have recovered!)
Just dinned one night at Los Z. enjoyed it as much as ever, but it was quite busy so I dare not ask for the recipe. I did notice in the original bar area (there is a new bar to the side) that there were some books of Mediterranean Recipes and Los Z featured for one of them, it might have been for Frito but I am not certain now.
Already looking forward to our next visit and a caraf of house red!
Old 23-08-2010, 17:34

Default Would still be waiting at Los Zarzales !

We've been to P.Pollensa many times but had never ventured towards the Los Zarzales end in the evening. However, as there were such rave reviews about it we decided to go along one night. Can't remember whether it was the Saturday or Sunday. (it was the night with no music)
We got a table no problem and were given menus, but we waited and waited and no one came even for our drinks order. After waiting 25 mins. we asked if someone could come. We were given our rolls, aioli etc. but still no drinks order! Enough was enough. After nearly 40 mins and just as we decided to leave, the waitress came. We said we had been left too long but would pay for the rolls. She declined but didn't seem too bothered we were leaving. Very disappointing! It wasn't particularly busy so I don't know what the problem was but I wouldn't venture there again.
Old 23-08-2010, 21:24

icampbell15, that is such a shame, as Zazarles is such a deservedly popular restaurant that I'm really sorry (and astonished) that you had such a bad experience.

Yes please....if anyone gets hold of the broad bean recipe please patch me in!

A A Gill has written a very good book about Le Caprice in London, one of my favourite restaurants, which includes loads of recipies, including a particularly good dish which comprises baby broad beans with choriso.

Duncan
Old 24-08-2010, 21:04

We waited for 25 mins for waitress, then the owner arrived & the staff became ultra efficient.Super meal .
Old 25-08-2010, 12:27

Interesting that you should say that, Cumberland 8. Some of you will remember that Yolande was away on maternity leave for some time, about 2/3 years ago, I think, and Zazarles certainly took a nose-dive for a bit.

Our two recent visits confirms it back at the top of it's game, I think. Still want that recipe......!
Old 25-08-2010, 18:33

I've made a version of it and worked pretty well.I've just realised it's quite difficult to write a recipe as I tend to cook things like this by eye as I don't believe exact quanties make a big difference in recipes like this.
Fresh Broad beans, pancetta or Chorizo,good quality black pudding(couldn't get botifarra negra) and olive oil.
Boil broad beans in water for about 3-5 mins add a bit of salt towards end if you like,I dont bother.(Broad Beans need double podded,Google it!)
Fry black pudding in olive oil,I use 1 slice per 2 people,then remove & chop roughly into small cubes.
In same oil fry Pancetta or Chorizo until well cooked. With Pancetta fat will start to render and flavour oil, with chorizo will also release the paprika flavour into oil and colour it.
Then drain beans and empty into pancetta/chorizo stir really well to coat with all the flavour.Then add chopped black pudding and stir it thru gently.Just put in small bowls and enjoy with crusty bread.
If I remember their decription mentions mint in menu I dont think it makes much difference one way or other.
Any way if any one tries it let me know if you survive! Heading to PP Friday so will maybe have the real thing again sometime in next week.
Hasta luego.
Old 25-08-2010, 20:05

Muchos gracias amigo!

Will try that one for sure.

Cheers.

Duncan
Old 26-08-2010, 14:58

Found this tapas recipe don't know if its the same thing
serves 4
1 onion choped
1 clove garlic crushed
1tbsp olive oil
75g pancetta diced
75g chorizo chopped
300g broad beans
pinch dried red chilli
handful of parsley chopped

1 softedn the onion with garlic in little oil 5 mins, add pancetta and chorizo fry until crispy

2 meanwhile boil the broad beans for 5 mins drain and cool

3 add the chilli and beans heat for 3-4 mins stir in parsley

serve with crusty bread
Old 26-08-2010, 15:42

This is a similar one that I have.

Chorizo with Broad Beans

Serves: 4
Prep: 10 mins
Cooking: 8–12 mins

What you need

Shelled young broad beans 250 g (8 oz)
Extra virgin olive oil 1 tablespoon
Garlic cloves 2, roughly chopped
Spicy chorizo 125 g (4 oz), cut into slices about 5 mm (1⁄4 inch) thick
Chopped mint 1 tablespoon
Lemon juice 2 tablespoons
Salt and pepper
Crusty bread to serve

How to do it

Blanch the broad beans in lightly salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, refresh under cold water and drain again. Dry well.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the garlic for 2–3 minutes until soft. Discard the garlic.Turn up the heat and fry the chorizo for 2–3 minutes, until golden.
Stir in the beans and cook for 2–3 minutes, then add the mint and lemon juice and salt and pepper. Mix well. Serve warm with crusty bread.
Old 26-08-2010, 17:24

Many thanks for all the replies, will be trying the recipes out using double skinned broad beans. Don't suppose it will be the same, sat inside on cold evenings and the red wine will definitely not be as good as the house red at L.Z.!
Old 26-08-2010, 23:23

Hi

Heres a tip I breached copyright rules with earlier

Broad beans can be eaten complete with their greeny-grey skins, but they’re much nicer and prettier - double podded to reveal the bright green jewels inside.

1. First remove the beans from their pods.
2. Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and add the beans. Cook for appromiately 2 minutes and then drain.
3. Place the beans into a bowl of cold water.
4. Pop the tender, bright green beans out of their thick, leathery skins by squeezing gently.

Then over to you Allan

Cheers

Wizzard
Old 26-08-2010, 23:40

Thats me packed, heading for airport early tomorrow hopefully sitting outside Bar Cultural tomorrow evening with a cold one!I will try to have meal in LZ and have the real thing at some point in next week but who knows!It's either Can Cuarassa or La Fortelesa for food Friday night cant wait.
Hasta Luego.
Old 27-08-2010, 08:04

Have a great trip Allan

On island time!!