Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-09-2009, 20:48

Default Our week of eating as much as possible 5th to 12th September.

Our Week of Eating Out September 5th to the 12th 2009

For a change it was just me and hubby, as granny and granddad had agreed to a week in our shoes, we stayed in Pollensa town which was also new for us

Saturday- Lunch after picking up the car we headed straight to the port for lunch at Stay, Bread and butter, I had sardines with potato and salad while hubby went for haddock and chips with tarter sauce. With 2 beers and 2 glasses of white wine bill was 28 Euros. Service was very good and efficient.

Dinner – We decided on Can Olesa as we didn’t really want anything too fancy due to our early start. Bread and olives, then 2 pizzas’s with lovely thin bases, then we both had the chocolate and mascarpone dessert which was very rich but gorgeous! Bottle of house wine bill was 38 Euros. Service very good.

Sunday – We breakfasted in the square at Club Pollensa, watching the market comings and goings, 2 ensaimada plus two café con leche were 6.60 Euros and we loved them, especially nice dipped in your coffee which is what the locals do.

Lunch- We decided to try El Temple de Taverna which was a couple of minutes from our house. Fantastic bread, olives and aioli, 2 full raciones of garlic chicken and chorizo in white wine plus half raciones of tempura mushrooms and pardon peppers. We were going to order fish as well but the waiter told us we would have too much and he was right!! Water 2 beers and 2 very large glasses of white wine total 38 Euros. We were stuffed and both the very friendlly service and food were great.

Dinner – We were both really not in the mood for anything much after our huge tapas lunch. We decided to try l Giardino and just have pasta, we hadn’t booked but went to see if we could get a table at 8.30 and were asked to come back in 20 mins. Bread and butter, hubby had decided his appetite had sufficiently recovered to try a brushetta for starter which the lovely waitress asked us if we wanted to share, I expected her to bring an extra fork but they actually put it on two plates with garnish and everything!! I had mushroom ravioli and hubby had pesto pasta, bottle of house wine, water, two coffees and lovely home made chocolates 57 Euros.

Monday- Lunch we ventured in Cala St Vincent to Bistro Mar and had tapas, lovely bread olives and aioli, little fried fish, aubergine and feta salad, meatballs and tortilla, all were lovely. 2 glasses of white wine, 2 beers total 33 Euros. Service was warm and efficient.

Dinner – hubby had waited two years to return to his favourite restaurant Las Zarlzales for the broad bean and sausage starter. When I went to confirm the internet booking in the morning with Yolanda I told her about this. We got a taxi into the port for 9 Euros and after pre dinner drinks in Bony’s we were seated in the main courtyard area which was as beautiful as ever. Bread, olives and their fantastic Aioli. Yolanda told my husband the beans were finished, with a twinkle in her eye!! Luckily he got the joke. I had the peppers stuffed with seafood which I loved, then hubby had the pork with black pudding and I had the duck with chocolate which was different than I remembered it, but probably even better. For Postre I had the Tiramisu while hubby had almond cake. Bottle of 2008 Macia Baton, water, and 2 coffees, 82 Euros and worth every single penny!!

Tuesday – Lunch we drove up to Mirador Victoria for lunch and views but hubby was not impressed with surly staff or menu, so we headed back to the port to Stay again. I had sardines and hubby had ribs. 2 wines, 2 beers, 1 coffee and their great chocolates. Total 33 Euros. Everything was well cooked and the service efficient but I just don’t feel the same about Stay as I used to. We didn’t go there in the evening which we usually do and I think I just feel there is no soul to the place, can’t quite put my finger on it.

Dinner – Back to Il Giardino, again hadn’t booked but they found us a table. Bread then Tuna Tartar for me and Brushetta for hubby, Cannelloni for me and pasta with Lamb Ragu for hubby. For dessert we shared a Mint Pannacotta. 2 coffees water and a bottle of 2006 Macia Baton and water total 83 Euros. All the food was gorgeous. Hubby said his pasta was the best ever. Service was also very good.

Wednesday- Lunch we decided to get take away tapas form the deli in Pollensa town which were excellent.

Dinner – El Temple de Taverna- Lovely courtyard setting, bread olives and aioli, bottle of house wine. Hubby had Prawns Tempura, huge portion and I had mussels. Then I had the Pork in Curry and Honey sauce and hubby had beef braised in red wine, both mains were served with sautéed potatoes and vegetables. We shared a passion fruit parfait for dessert which we felt was brought in and disappointing, however the rest of the food plus the friendly service, setting and atmosphere were fantastic. Total 67 Euros.

Thursday – Lunch Deia at Las Palmererios. We had Tapas, they were the best Tapas of our stay, Confit Duck, figs wrapped in bacon, little fishes, Chicken Croquettes, Stuffed Aubergine and chorizo with peppers. Lovely bread olives and aioli, 2 white wines, 2 beers 39 euros. Lovely vine covered courtyard setting and warm service.

Dinner – Los Zarzales, Olives etc Hubby had the beans again and pronounced them amazing, I had the stuffed peppers which seem to improve with every visit. Hubby then tried the pork with wild mushrooms and truffle and I had Sea Bass with coriander and bacon. 1 bottle of Macia Batle, water and two complimentary liquors everything including service was exceptional. Total 73 euros.

Friday - Lunch we decided to go back to Can Olesa as we had enjoyed it on our first night. The male waiter who we had not seen before was very brusque asking us “what do you want” this really put us off and although the food was fine, I had pizza and hubby the stuffed aubergines, it really put us off and we left without having coffee or desserts. With 1 glass of wine beer and water bill was 29 euros.

Dinner – back to Il Giardino for our last meal, hubby had Bresola Carpaccio while I enjoyed the Tuna Tartar for a second time. Mains were a Cannelloni and Mushroom Ravioli, desserts chocolate mousse and panacotta. Bottle of the usual, water, coffees and chocolates total bill 95 euros, the most expensive meal of our stay but worth it. Roll on our next visit!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 22-09-2009, 21:16

Great review fransmudger!

We went to many of the restaurants you described during our recent 3 weeks stay. Must have the same 'taste.....buds'

El Temple is one of our favourites and never disappoints. We also went to Il Giardino a couple of times as we really love it there for the atmosphere, although the quality of food is very good too. If anyone watches Heroes on tv one of the waiters is the spitting image of Syler which, as he is a really evil character was quite spooky And Los Z!!! Wonderful food in a gorgeous setting

Will do my trip report soon hopefully,when I get a free hour or so!
Old 22-09-2009, 21:44

WOW Fransmudger! Your little black book and pencil must have been working overtime! Very comprehensive report and thanks for taking the time to record it all.

Debs, youve been home ages now, stop blaming it on your beautiful grand daughter that you havent had the time - and get posting for us!
Old 22-09-2009, 21:54

Only 4 days...seems like ages 'tho
Old 22-09-2009, 23:11
Super Moderator

Hi Fransmudger,
That was a great read thanks for posting it made me feel quite peckish. Now what's in the fridge?.
Old 23-09-2009, 07:17

Great report looking forward to returning to Las Z on next trip.
Old 23-09-2009, 08:19
Founder

Thanks for a great report. Reminds me we must try more places in Pollensa town.
Old 23-09-2009, 17:20

Great report thanks for taking the time. Every year I am determined to eat more in Pollensa town especially to try El Temple, but best laid plans etc.......

Timberman
Old 23-09-2009, 20:57

Thanks for posting a great report Fransmudger. I really enjoyed reading it. We too stayed in a house in Pollensa town for a change this year and enjoyed eating in some of the lovely restaurants you mentioned. Glad you had a good time.
Old 23-09-2009, 22:31

Default Holiday Eating

Great review! Now that your home, how's the diet going?
Old 23-09-2009, 23:31

Great list of restaurants and meals!! Astonishing you managed to eat that much!! I am very impressed.

Totally agree about Los Zarzales - excellent restaurant, and good on Tuesday evening when Mariano Miranda is playing his guitar. The courtyard must be one of the best settings in the Port.

I also agree with you about Stay - I tried to capture it in my review but you hit the nail on the head - no soul. Il Giardino manages to have the upmarket efficiency but even when totally stacked (when isn't it?) it manages to personalise the service.

If you haven't tried Iru then give it a go on your next trip - based on my last three years experience it can easily match Zarzales or Giardino.

Trout
Old 24-09-2009, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by fransmudger View Post
Our Week of Eating Out September 5th to the 12th 2009

Tuesday – Lunch we drove up to Mirador Victoria for lunch and views but hubby was not impressed with surly staff or menu, so we headed back to the port to Stay again.
Hiya fransmudger,

Truely great post... just dont know how u have the dedication/memory to do it all !

Mirador Victoria... what happened there ?? I love this place especialy for the service and menu.
We haven't managed there yet this year, but intend to next trip.
Do u think it has changed hands ? I know everywhere can have an off day/nite... but it must have been very bad for u to have driven all the way there - to about turn ?

Miriam
Old 24-09-2009, 20:44

Fransmudger, that was a great review - lots of places I've yet to try.

Cheers.

Duncan