Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 21:38

Default Our (short) week of eating

Just back from an (all too) short break in Puerto Pollensa. Circumstances determined that we were only going for 6 days, but opportunities of a family break in our favourite resort are rapidly running out (the eldest daughter is 19 now) so we weren't about to pass up the opportunity. Suffice to say, we did our best to cram as much into the week, food wise, as possible. This was our week.

Friday Lunchtime, arrived after travelling early morning, tired and ravenous.
Decided to chill out with a selection of starters in Guru (one of our favourites, and it's really lovely how Concepcion (sp?) recognises us and welcomes us back year after year). We had Nachos, Padron Peppers, Mozzarella Sticks, Chips. There was also one called Creaking with Ham and Cheese, which was very nice and servers with a delicious Sweet and Spicey sauce. Probably more than we needed, especially when another (complimentary) dish turned up. Still, a lovely way to start the holliday, which (with a couple of beers and a few soft fdrinks) came to 45 Euro.

Friday Evening
It had to be Nico's. We just love this place, simple no-nosense food, great, friendly and attentive staff, perfect position for people watching. 2 chicken casadillas, 1 ribs, 1 burger, 2 deserts to share, a couple of pints, 4 cokes. 68 Euro. Perhaps I had subconsiously prepared myself for the price increases this year, but this pretty much matched my expectation and I was more than happy with the value for money.

Saturday Evening
The girls enjoyed the previous lunchtime so much they opted to go back to Guru for the evening. Wonderful welcome again, Two starters, myself and my eldest had chicken, my youngest had pizza and my wife had pork. All excellent. Wonderful complimentary desert, and usual drinks came to 82 Euro.

Sunday Evening
Based on all the positive reviews we decided to give Can Josep a try. I'm irrationally suspicious of front line restaurants, I've always thought that the best seaside chip shops are not the ones on the sea front but the those a few streets back who have to rely more on quality rather than footfall. I guess I've carried this preconception on to my visits to Puerto Pollensa and have rarely been to the restaurants on the front. Well, in this case at least, how wrong could I be. This is a really wonderful restaurant. The owner is a lovely chap, very friendly and eager to please, and his staff have the same attitude. The setting is perfect, we sat on the border of outside and inside, benefitting both from the view and the air conditioning. Food was excellent, youngest tried the grilled salmon, wife and I had shoulder of lamb, and eldest had pork. All excellently cooked, and thoroughly enjoyed. 2 deserts, and (mainly) soft drinks totalled 81 Euro. Thanks everyone who highlighted this restaurant in other reviews, so glad we tried it, and will be on our shortlist for next time.

Monday Evening
The girls were keen for a bit of independence and went off to Little Italy, so we decided we'd try El Posito. We've been a few times, always enjoy the food, always a little nervous regards Tony's rather unconventional approach as host (the first time we visted he scolded one of the girls for not picking something from his recommended menu). Imagine then, how wary we were at having to complain that the main courses were not very warm. We needn't have feared, he was understanding, courteous and apologetic. His staff were great, especially our cockney waiter, who was extremely friendly. Apart from the little hiccup, the food was exactly what we expected, and great value. I had a steak, the wife had shoulder of lamb (which was, she thought, better than the previous evening), 2 deserts, a bottle of Macia Batle (hmm), a complimentary liquers...56 Euro

Tuesday Evening
Back to Guru, for another great night. Bit of a blow out this time. Chose Onion rings, Padron Peppers and Mozzarella sticks as starters, and (whilst we were waiting) a complimentary dish of Padron Peppers and Mozzaella sticks arrived !!!
Main courses of Pasta and Prawns, Chicken in Mandarin Sauce, Grilled Salmon and Sauteed Chicken and Vegetables all great (apart from the Pasta/Prawns which my daughter didn't like too much). The girls then wandered off to meet friends, and we asked for the bill. Amazingly a further complimentary dish arrived of two huge deserts (brownies and cheesecake). I guess Concepcion had assmued the girls were returning. Well, it would have been rude not to........but we were mightily suffed by the end of the meal. Can't remember the cost, and can't find the receipt but guess it came to something in the region on 85 Euro. Not sure what we have done to deserve such treatment, but we stay upstairs and I guess Concepcion appreciates her regulars. So nice to feel so welcome.

Wednesday Evening
During our last few visits O Lume has become our number 1 favourite, and this was always going to be our destination for our final evening. Very quiet, only one other family in, but that has never been a concern for us. Jaime was once again the perfect host. He is always calm, never flustred, so attentive, and his manner creates such a wonderfully relaxed mood. The food is first class, complimentatry tuna salad thing, wife and I shared a vegetable lasagne starter, girls shared a scallops/garlic starter. Wife and I had steak (I always recommend the 1/2 size for astonishing value), both grils had Cod Mallorcan style. 4 deserts, chocolates, liquers, and drinks including a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, came in total to 103 Euro.

Well that was it, wonderful week, went all too quickly. A couple of other things. I watched the Spurs vs West Ham game in JKs, good atmosphere, reasonably priced drinks, but as a Spurs fan I guess the result increased my enjoyment. We spent less time than normal in Bony's. Whether this was a subconcious thing, to keep the cost down I'm not sure, but I don't feel the holiday suffered because of it. I really can't put my finger on it, but none of us found ourselves magnetically drawn to the place like we have in the past. We all still love Jose, but can't help feeling a little spark of the usual magic was missing this year. It may have been this years team, but it may have been just us......

Best moment of the week, 8am sitting in the surf feeding all of the small fish, when a school of much bigger fish came down, and started eating from my fingers. Quite wonderful.

For anyone interested I've put a few new photos up on the flickr group.

Thanks for reading
Terry
Sponsored Links
Old 28-08-2009, 21:57

Great post Terry, and very strange that what you said sounds so familiar to me, we too felt this may be our last family holiday, we too felt something had changed at Bonys, and as for the fish, fed them too a couple of times, straight out the hand, glad you had a great time.

Last edited by sws97sdg; 28-08-2009 at 23:07.
Old 28-08-2009, 22:04

Great post, can't wait for my trip next week. Glad you had a great (short) time.
Liz
Old 28-08-2009, 23:03
Super Moderator

A great read Terry, thanks for posting it.
Old 29-08-2009, 00:01

I can only echo everyone else's comments Terry.
Sometimes the short break is just as fefreshing as a longer stay.

PeRu
Old 29-08-2009, 07:10

Terry great post thanks
Old 29-08-2009, 09:13

Thanks Terry!

Your report seems to make the reader feel they were right there with you as you enjoyed yourselves!
Old 29-08-2009, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryw View Post
Best moment of the week, 8am sitting in the surf feeding all of the small fish, when a school of much bigger fish came down, and started eating from my fingers. Quite wonderful.
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and hope you came home with all fingers in tact.
Old 29-08-2009, 10:35

Great report Terry. I really enjoyed reading it, and your photos are fantastic. Thanks for posting.
Old 31-08-2009, 11:05

Default Short week

Great read Tony, Something must have been lost in translation with the girls when they dined at El Posito, sounds like one of Toni's jokes went wrong, he's definately not like that.
Old 01-09-2009, 14:56

great report, but i must say i have to pass comment on your views on Guru. we had 1 meal there and we found the staff to be miserable and the food not good at all!! my wifes steak was not good at all, very stringy to be honest just a very cheap cut of meat

was this a 1 off????
Old 01-09-2009, 17:07

Great report Terry, thanks very much!
Old 01-09-2009, 19:21

Glad you enjoyed your holiday. Allways enjoy reading the reports, C'an Josep and O'Lume were certainly at the top of our list.

Timberman
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56

Great review, Terry. And the pics on your Flickr page are brill too!