Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 10:29
Super Moderator

Default Turn back time/A trip down memory lane.

Hola it's GL suggested on another topic that we could have a new thread for our memories of places and people in PP. So here it is, do share your reminiscences be they good or bad with us.
Old 06-08-2011, 18:10

How about the Ice Cream man on his Pop-Pop up and down the pine walk "Stop me and buy one" good days.

I always ask his daughter how he is and she says he misses the front.
Old 06-08-2011, 18:58

Gosh Snowy I remember him! Such a nice man.
So sad that we have such short memories and forget so quickly. It's nice to have that jog to remind us of the old days!
Old 06-08-2011, 19:05

The wonderful thing about Puerto Pollensa is that not very much has changed over the past 20 years or so. It is still a beautiful friendly and safe place with much to offer all tastes. It has of course grown in size and some things have changed but compared to many holiday destinations PP is just the same lovely place. The view of that Bay will never change - although does change depending on weather if you know what I mean.
I remember no beach in Pinaret. I believe it was man made about 15 years ago but I might be wrong? certainly wasn't as it is now.
Look forward to reading memories. Time moves on but thankfully PP hasn't - unlike many other places.
Old 06-08-2011, 19:34

I can remember as a child in the early 1980s when you could not walk the full length of the Pine Walk to the Illa d'Or because it was so decrepit!

My Dad, late grandad and I used to have to get in the sea and walk on shingle (the remains of which still accumulate at the dog leg corner of Passeig Vora Mar and Passeig Colom) until the Pine Walk became passable again!
Old 06-08-2011, 22:46

The ice cream man on his 'pop-pop' motorised tricycle was Mr Vall. Whist buyingh ice creams with the children he would always teach us a word or two in Spanish - 'Dos Helados'.
Yes Eleanor you're certainly right - no beach down Pinaret way in those days.
Also more fishing boats than yachts in the harbour (pre-marina) and no flashy concrete and glass Club Nautico, people don't realise just how much the harbour / marina has grown. Though I thoroughly enjoy a stroll on the marina to look at the yachts these days.
P.P. has certainly grown a lot over the past twenty years or so, but it is still wonderful.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36

Every year after lunch we always say how we miss Mr Helados coming along the Pine Walk.

Also miss the street entertainers that used to be out on the Pine Walk of an evening when we first visited in 1998 and the little craft stalls, still got the wire bicycles that we bought on one of our early visits.
Old 07-08-2011, 17:57

One thing that's amazing is that Chivers has kept open all these years while others have closed down.

Do you remember the doughnut van that used to pack in the square.

Traffic used to go along the front right as far as the start of the pine walk.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jhill19...eat=directlink
Old 07-08-2011, 23:19

What about the big Churro wagon that used to aprk outside the playpark in Pinaret just near where the new snack bar is

And lets not forget the wreck ........ how the kids used to love swimming out to it ............ it was a sort of right of passage for the kids in our family to be allowed to swim that far out without adults ................ I know it wasn't miles out but when you were 7 or 8 it seemed like a real adventure
Old 08-08-2011, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
Every year after lunch we always say how we miss Mr Helados coming along the Pine Walk.

Also miss the street entertainers that used to be out on the Pine Walk of an evening when we first visited in 1998 and the little craft stalls, still got the wire bicycles that we bought on one of our early visits.
I agree with you Joanne about the entertainers and the craft stalls on Pine Walk - we have a lovely little oil painted miniature that the artist did for us while we waited.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:33

Does anyone remember the themed party nights at Bar Coral ? The road outside the restaurant would be full of children dancing. I still enjoy the old home videos of my daughter dancing to the Birdie Song dressed in hawaiin outfit.
Old 08-08-2011, 14:56

What happened to the freshly squeezed orange kiosk that featured in the Church Square for a couple of years? And the churros stall that made an appearance one year? I remember my wife and I buying a couple of miniatures of gin from the big wire baskets that used to stand outside one of the shops in Carretera de Formentor and tipping them into our ice cold freshly squeezed orange juices. Bliss. Also, what happened to the horchataria on the front? When did Can Joan become Tribeca? I could go on and on but nostalgia isn't what it used to be. I must admit, though, that I have found most of the changes to PP have added to its charms IMHO.
Old 08-08-2011, 18:09

I remember Snr Vall on his frozen triped When I was young we always went to what was then refered to as the 'Coach House' beach ( what is now Little Italy) and you could set your watch by him arriving twice a day along the Pinewalk.

One year this changed and he started appearring alot later in the day and we couldn't work out why. Then we realised it was when the baech had been extended out the other way and it was taking him alot longer to get along the front

Also remember when the front was still a road and you paid extra for your drinks at tables on the beach side of the road (danger money for the waiters crossing, especially with the mopeds and scooters!)
Old 08-08-2011, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn View Post
Does anyone remember the themed party nights at Bar Coral ? The road outside the restaurant would be full of children dancing. I still enjoy the old home videos of my daughter dancing to the Birdie Song dressed in hawaiin outfit.
Pedro was wearing the Hawaiin headgear the other week !
The Senor
Old 09-08-2011, 11:23

Here are some of the popular places in PP going back....30 years.....Rte Añoranza,El Faro,
Yum-Yum, Ken's Bonanza Bar,Paul's Bar, Lorelay's,Aniaras, La Bolera,Gina's El Barco.....