Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-06-2010, 21:26

Default Trip Report June 2010

Trip Report – General.

On walking round P.P. last week I was taking note of the present ‘situation’ so as to give a true and accurate report for members using the forum… so here goes.

First port of call, the terrace bar at the I’lla D’Or - purely for investigation purposes on your behalf of course - 10 out of 10, great cana pequeno (sorry no tilde’s) in a great setting… so no change there then. Further down the Pine Walk and yes, there was some evidence of crappa de perrito! But then again there is the same in the U.K. It is mostly caused by locals and, apparently, others who have managed to take their ‘perritos’ on their hol’s for the summer. More locals do seem to be carrying their ‘bolsa plastico’s’ and removing said crappa de perrito, so that is a good and positive sign.
Also the very small garden areas by the seats on Vora Mar are overgrown with grass, these used to be beautifully planted with colourful petunias and other plants some time ago and were very attractive. There is no colourful planting (or even grass) in the Main Square garden areas these days.
Also on parts of the Pine Walk there is some uneven-ness in the crazy paving especially by the big pine trees. This may be due to movement of the trunks caused by the bad weather and high winds during the winter and springtime. It could easily be sorted out by the L.A. for the main season.
Many palm trees have been attacked by the grubs of the red parasitic weevil like beetle, as previously reported on this forum. Some trees have been removed, some cut well back and treated, others are in a sorry state, but many others have survived. I understand that in Northern Mallorca palm trees have been attacked in P.P., Pollensa Town, Alcudia, C’an Picafor, Sa Pobla, Cala San Vicente as well as other areas. It’s no ones fault, the authorites are trying to deal with the situation. There was an extensive article in the local paper ‘Ultima Hora’ last week giving very detailed information regarding the problem.
Back in the town some graffiti is noticeable, particularly around the old, now disused, ‘Correos’ just off Carratera Formentor. A sign of the times perhaps, but not good and should be removed.

I am pleased to report that I joined hundreds of locals, including representatives from many businesses and many other interested tourists on the ‘demonstration march’ - from the Garage off Juan XX111, via the centre of Town, to the Local Authority Offices on Vicente Buedes, where the leaders of the demonstration called for the Mayor to receive petitions and come out on the balcony to speak. The march steered clear of the Main Square because it was market day. Wednesday was chosen for the march because it is only a Wednesday when the Mayor regularly visits P.P. The Mayor eventually appeared after much clapping and chanting (I believe the word ‘coward’ was extensively chanted), but took about 20 to 30 minutes to do so. The delegation was campaigning for more effective maintenance and cleaning within the Port. It was said that tourism brings in lots of money to P.P. and businesses as well as local people pay taxes to the L.A. (rates I presume), which are then often spent in Pollenca Town where the Authority’s main offices are! The locals want more services, cleaning, etc., within P.P. itself.
A previous article in the Ultima Hora expected that some 200 people would attend the march but the report the day after says at least 500 attended. Many locals put the number much greater than that, some said well over 1000. There were a great number of people carrying banners – Soluciones Ya No Buenas Palabras, Parc De La Gola Digne I Net, Volem Eu Moll Net, Parkings Y Parques Infantiles, Tots Junts Salvem Eu Moll, etc, etc, (My Spanish/Catalan is not good enough to translate, have a look for yourselves). These were all laid on the Local Authority’s forecourt so they could be read by the lady Mayor and other officials from the first floor balcony.
The turnout was impressive and well organised. The locals carried out the march with great dignity. The Ultima Hora and local television gave good coverage in press and on T.V.

It may have been just by chance but next day, Thursday 3rd June, street cleaning vehicles were out early on Medico Llopis and other nearby streets. Bins appeared to be cleared several times during the day and the beaches were mechanically cleaned. I do hope the demonstration has a long lasting effect.

Puerto Pollenca is still very beautiful and tourists are not too affected.
Sponsored Links
Old 13-06-2010, 21:48

Sounds like paradise as always, can't wait! P.P is magical, always will be! 9 DAYS to go!

: )