Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2009, 19:14

Default How much spending money????????

Hi all,

After speaking to a friend who is self catering in Alcudia at the moment they have said how expensive everything is especially to eat out there are four of them. We are also a family of four the only difference we have two teenage sons one of whom is always hungry (oh no!!). Now I am worried as we are coming out on a budget whether we are going to need to bring more money out which we really havent got. We probably wont eat out every night but we certainly intend to sample some of the restaurants mentioned on this forum my husband is sure we can buy and cook in the apartment on a reasonable budget can't we?? Any thoughts on this.

Juliex
Sponsored Links
Old 28-07-2009, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHALKFAMILY View Post
Hi all,

After speaking to a friend who is self catering in Alcudia at the moment they have said how expensive everything is especially to eat out there are four of them. We are also a family of four the only difference we have two teenage sons one of whom is always hungry (oh no!!). Now I am worried as we are coming out on a budget whether we are going to need to bring more money out which we really havent got. We probably wont eat out every night but we certainly intend to sample some of the restaurants mentioned on this forum my husband is sure we can buy and cook in the apartment on a reasonable budget can't we?? Any thoughts on this.

Juliex
Julie,

This might sound trite to you but it is the same dilemma that longer term visitors/residents face when we are in PP. Believe me, it would cripple you if you got caught up in the tourist " traps" everynight for weeks.

Tips,

a) Accept that you will only eat out at night every so often, you'll enjoy it more cos if you do it too frequently you get "foodied out" and it all kinda blurs from one meal to another.

b) Try some of the exceptional Menu del Dia deals at lunchtime which are usually great value. Sleep it off on the beach and stay longer on the beach without worrying about dinner , you'll be amazed how many locals will join you.

c) Local fresh fruit and veg are exceptional value still, if it ain't in season it's difficult to get i.e. they don't fly in "Kenyan" runner beans in the winter !!! Try and avoid processed food cos that's usually pricey. The meat from butchers is of good quality and probably of a similar cost to that at home. Stretch your legs cos the local supermarkets in town are better value than those sited near tourist appartments.

d) Incidentals like coffee and drinks can be expensive ,as well, at the obvious tourist spots. Wander round the backstreets to local bars . You'll not only get a taste of the " real " town but at considerable less cost as well. Don't be intimidated cos they're all very welcoming.

e) Bring toiletries and that kinda thing with you, couldn't believe I paid 11 Euros for 4 razorblades a few weeks back. Toiletries tend to be more expensive.

Trust this helps ?

Have a great time, you can enjoy yourself and get the most out of the place without breaking the bank .

BonysLad
Old 28-07-2009, 21:20

BonysLad - why not go native and forget the shaving? Thinking about it you could save a fortune on toiletries if you didn't bother to.....maybe not

GG
Old 28-07-2009, 23:04

Get a pre cooked Chicken they good meal with salad
Old 28-07-2009, 23:16

I guess you will eat in some time; have some high end meals and for other nights you will just want good food for not much money

The places I would put in that category for evening meals are

C'an Ferra - great family restaurant, even off the a la carte if you pick sensibly you will be full for about 15 euros a head including a drink

Trio ............. 3 courses including half a bottle of Faustino for 16.75 euros plus tax

Tango ..... same deal , better views , less choice ............. and great walk ............ if you are all of average fitness you CAN walk here from anywhere in PP ...... we did it from up near I'lla D'Or ........... took about an hour but was a lovelly walk

Other tips for hungry teens are ........... bread and cheese/ham snack about 6pm, costs peanuts if you have it in the apartment and takes the edge off the appetite ( assuming you will be eating from about 8.30 ) .... that way you avoid a starter which can be quite expensive ............ because they ALWAYS seem to have room for a pud .... I've lost count of the times daughter has said I;ll just go for a starter and main and then she spies something with chocolate in it !

Another trick of ours is to skip desert and then walk to the Helado's hut and get a great ice cream .......... must be from there and not the Ben and Jerry's ...... its cheaper but more to the point it's a PP tradition

Little Italy has a reputation of being expensive ............ but the Pizzas are massive and the very good Pizza Espania is only 7.50 euros ........ even with a beer thats still only around 10 euros each ......... and a great view to go with it ( although I do avoid the place in July and August due to it being very busy and a magnet for families with young children ...... hypocritical of me of course because I was a regular there with young children some years ago when it was the coach house )

New place called El Brio in Pollensa Town .......... we had a great early evening mdd including wine for 13 euros a head

Also when you are in Eroski ( the supermarket ) don;t get suckered into buying the brands you recognise ........ buy their own brands ..... the breakfast cereals are great as are most of their other things and are less than half the price of the uk items that they also sell.

Same goes for toiletries .......... shampoo, shower gel, hair mousse etc ...... their own brand is fine ( and I am not an "ownbrander" at home ......... but the differential in Majorca seems to be so much more than in the UK so I tried them and was pleasantly suprised )

Last edited by its cd; 28-07-2009 at 23:20.
Old 29-07-2009, 06:23

There are some very good tips there. You have basically answered what I had thought but you know when you start doubting that you will have enough money then this starts to take the edge of your hols and I have been so looking forward to coming to PP for the first time. Like the idea of not buying pud and just getting an ice cream locally have done this before when in Calas De Majorca much better and cheaper.... Cooked chicken and salad is a must I think! Also I am an own brand buyer in this country in some places so really dont have a problem there. Thanks my mind is put at rest for a while anyway!!!
Old 29-07-2009, 07:01

My little ears pricked up at the mention of a new restaurant in Pollensa, El Brio?

Can someone give me directions so I can add it to the A-Z of restaurant directions thread?

Thanks!
Jane
Old 29-07-2009, 09:49
Super Moderator

Hi Chalkfamily, Bonyslad's advice was excellent. I agree completely, since we moved here we have found loads of backstreet places we did not know existed, far better value for money than front line places.
Old 29-07-2009, 10:12

Default Spending Money

Don't get sucked into spending too much during the day, get up, have a pleasant walk along the front and go to the supermarkets at the back, avoid the SPAR type shops at all times, they are far too expensive! Avoid purchasing food "we eat back home" this may be difficult for the teenagers, but as Bony'slad suggests the local fruit and veg is still cheap (lovely tomatoes 1.29c a KILO!) Avoid pan type bread and get the local barapan, lovely fresh warm bead 45 cents, and get cheese/hams for sanwiches at the supermarket counter. There's a huge selection of these, more than enough for breakfast/daytime/evening sanwiches. Much more enjoyable and far better than what our supermarkets expect us to eat.

This should leave plenty of lee-way for your evening meals.
Old 29-07-2009, 11:41

Default beach picnic

Some excellent advice as always.

We often stock up at the supermarket and take a coolbag down to the beach and have a picnic.

The freshly baked bread as Smiddy mentioned is delicious and perfect for filling up hungry teens.

Enjoy Chalkies !!!
Old 29-07-2009, 12:28

we nearly always take cool bag to beach stocked up with snacks for the day, if we've been out to water park quite often we just stop for drinks and pick up cooked chicken or pizza to have with salad. Love eating out but some nights just want cheese and olives and of course wine! either get take away for kids or cook pasta then go out later on for drinks and entertainment. Amount of money we spend hasn't changed much over the time we've been going just by missing starters and having couple of take outs helps
Old 29-07-2009, 12:39

All good advice.

To give you an idication of the impact of the exchange rate - we spent on average £150 a day. 2 people, eating out at night with wine and water (1 having 3 courses and 1 main only) a nightcap, no real spend on gifts but did buy toilettries and had lunch out 2 thirds of the time.

We had MDD a couple of times but probably did eat in some of the places Smiddy means. On the whole, places like O Lume are much better value than say places in the square.

Last edited by Lala70w; 29-07-2009 at 12:41. Reason: typo
Old 29-07-2009, 13:17

Hi, My friend said that for a cheap typical English fish and chips, the Codfather is good value.

Haven't tried myself but was told you can eat in or take and there is a 10% reduction on offer too????

Any experience here anyone?
Old 29-07-2009, 15:51

Smile Eating Out

Hi Chalkfamily

We have been goin to PP for years and years. For good value meals, you can't beat 3 courses at Trio, as mentioned before. Another one to try is El Ancla on seafront on road to Alcudia next door to Hotel Romantic. Lovely position looking out to sea, very friendly family-run bar/restaurant. Can get very busy, therefore sometimes service a bit slow, but who cares in such a pleasant location! Menu is not that extensive but something to suit everybody. Particularly recommend the leg of lamb or fish dish 'John Dory'. Prices are very reasonable including the wine etc. Enjoy!
Old 29-07-2009, 17:10

Try Ca'n Andreu in the market square at lunch time. 3 course meal with wine water and gaseosa E9.50, typical mallorcan cooking but very good value. I agree with all that has been said,shop in the bigger supermarkets,if you have a car try Mercadona in Alcudia,meat and fruit of a high standard. Plenty of choice to have a really good holiday without breaking the bank.