Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-11-2018, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinchip10 View Post
Oh yessssss. Who are these self appointed King and Queens of the pavement.
And they walk really slow.
Perhaps because of the dangerously uneven paving?
Sponsored Links
Old 13-11-2018, 23:54
Super Moderator

At this time of year there are hardly any cyclists or pedestrians so i think it's a bit pointless to be debating this issue .
Old 14-11-2018, 09:20

Out of season, when there are fewer cyclists and the lanes are clear, it's tempting to go faster but pedestrians don't take as much care when crossing the road and cycle lane.
debz1 likes this.
Old 14-11-2018, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
At this time of year there are hardly any cyclists or pedestrians so i think it's a bit pointless to be debating this issue .
Sparky, surely this is the time of year to be debating it, if anything is going to be done about it next year. I'm very used to the lay out, but every time I cross the cycle lane I have to concentrate on which direction to look (cars one way/ bikes two way) and the speed some of those bikes go they would take you out

I feel a petition coming on like my daughters one about the state of Formentor beach a few years ago
Old 15-11-2018, 00:06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Sparky, surely this is the time of year to be debating it, if anything is going to be done about it next year. I'm very used to the lay out, but every time I cross the cycle lane I have to concentrate on which direction to look (cars one way/ bikes two way) and the speed some of those bikes go they would take you out

I feel a petition coming on like my daughters one about the state of Formentor beach a few years ago
But those with the power to change things don't follow this forum Debz .
I am not saying there isn't a problem but unless the locals demand changes nothing will be done.
Jimbo the Jambo likes this.
Old 15-11-2018, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
But those with the power to change things don't follow this forum Debz .
I am not saying there isn't a problem but unless the locals demand changes nothing will be done.

So then surely if we talk about a problem, and other forum members agree, maybe things could be changed? I realise we would be a small voice and probably ignored but I do know a lot of locals feel the same.

Stay Shtum? Maybe ...probably

Still love PP but just having a 30 year itch ...
Old 15-11-2018, 11:50
Super Moderator

Quote:
So then surely if we talk about a problem, and other forum members agree, maybe things could be changed? I realise we would be a small voice and probably ignored but I do know a lot of locals feel the same.

I think the best way to let the council know your concerns is to email them, maybe if enough unhappy tourists and locals did this they would have to do something.

Here is the link to contact the town hall :- Formulari de contacte | El web oficial de l'Ajuntament de Pollença.
debz1 and Jimbo the Jambo like this.
Old 15-11-2018, 12:40

I was watching a Place in the Sun I think it is of a couple wanting to the Island The North West though Soller area and he was a former professional cyclist and he was told the Island is trying to double the number of cyclists visiting !!

I am just incredibly careful crossing the road but know from this forum what the rules are with one way for cars and 2 ways for bicycles but Im sure other visitors wont really understand that

The problem with cyclists now is they go so fast !
debz1, Tommo and Hanser like this.
Old 15-11-2018, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
The problem with some idiots now is they go so fast !
Fixed that for you. Don't tar me with that brush thank you. Some of us do give a toss

Last edited by bobley; 16-11-2018 at 01:02.
Old 15-11-2018, 20:49

Quote:

Debz, can I respectfully ask you what issues you have and what you would to resolve them?

I'll go first with my opinion. I think the new layout is fantastic and a great enhancement to our side of the port. As a cyclist (loosely) I think it is great that I can meander along without worrying about cars and as a pedestrian I think it is great being able to stroll along on a wider area.
Old 15-11-2018, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
Debz, can I respectfully ask you what issues you have and what you would to resolve them?

I'll go first with my opinion. I think the new layout is fantastic and a great enhancement to our side of the port. As a cyclist (loosely) I think it is great that I can meander along without worrying about cars and as a pedestrian I think it is great being able to stroll along on a wider area.
Hoopy I agree that on the whole the sea front has been vastly improved in the second phase. However my issue is largely to do with the behaviour of a number of bikers who don't 'meander' but speed along the cycle lane. Added to that the ones who continue to cycle on the pedestrianised parts including Pine Walk. I think there should be clearer signs on the pedestrian areas reinforcing the no cycling rule, and the local police should be issuing on the spot fines for those who flaunt the rules.
Old 16-11-2018, 10:24

Not quite sure why you did that with my post Bobley !!

Perhaps I should have said bicycles go so fast now and I certainly didnt refer to Idiots !!

Bicycles now can cost as much as a small car and are built to go faster
debz1, Sparky, Lorenzo and 1 others like this.
Old 16-11-2018, 12:55

Bobley,

I refer you to my earlier post. I am from a cycling family and myself have a road bike in the port. However in my opinion, having seen a horrendous near miss as per my post #156, the cycle lane section is ill thought out (especially for the young, old and infirm) and poorly policed and it is my hope that the authorities do something before a serious accident brings along a too late change of mind......
debz1, Lorenzo and Hanser like this.
Old 16-11-2018, 16:38

This was the other thread that included a lot of early comments on the new layout.

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...s-driving.html
Old 16-11-2018, 17:19

Just to add a bit of balance (pun intended) a kind cyclist stopped for me at a pedestrian crossing this lunchtime......had to sit down and take a pill.