Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-11-2018, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Hoopy I agree that on the whole the sea front has been vastly improved in the second phase. However my issue is largely to do with the behaviour of a number of bikers who don't 'meander' but speed along the cycle lane. Added to that the ones who continue to cycle on the pedestrianised parts including Pine Walk. I think there should be clearer signs on the pedestrian areas reinforcing the no cycling rule, and the local police should be issuing on the spot fines for those who flaunt the rules.
I hear ye however, the pine walk one is a wee bit of a strange one in that although there is a no cycling sign there is also a bike rack just before the bahia if my memory serves me correctly.

With regards to speeding along the cycle lane I have no idea how the speed could be measured and I suppose there would be no way of enforcing any speed limits unless there was a police presence. As someone who has had a speeding ticket in the UK in my car I'm not going to sit in my glass house and throw stones at cyclists.

I feel that the onus is really on the pedestrians to be more vigilant crossing the road. Every near miss I have seen has been due to dozy pedestrians not paying attention. Perhaps a raised monoblock between the cobbled area and the cycle lane would really enforce the message that there is a cycle lane there whilst at the same time keeping the cyclists on the cycle path?
Sponsored Links
Old 16-11-2018, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
I hear ye however, the pine walk one is a wee bit of a strange one in that although there is a no cycling sign there is also a bike rack just before the bahia if my memory serves me correctly.

With regards to speeding along the cycle lane I have no idea how the speed could be measured and I suppose there would be no way of enforcing any speed limits unless there was a police presence. As someone who has had a speeding ticket in the UK in my car I'm not going to sit in my glass house and throw stones at cyclists.

I feel that the onus is really on the pedestrians to be more vigilant crossing the road. Every near miss I have seen has been due to dozy pedestrians not paying attention. Perhaps a raised monoblock between the cobbled area and the cycle lane would really enforce the message that there is a cycle lane there whilst at the same time keeping the cyclists on the cycle path?

Hoopy there are quite a few cycle racks including ones at Tolos, The Daina, the one you mentioned and I'm sure others... but if you're in a pedestrianised area you're supposed to wheel the bike to the rack not ride it.

With regards to pedestrians being more vigilant,of course people should be and that's a fair comment. It's the one way road and two way cycle lane that is so confusing, the speed of some cyclists, and the fact they are practically silent and you don't hear them approaching.
Sharonh, Golfaholics and hoopy like this.
Old 17-11-2018, 02:15

A couple of comments, not for or against anything really, but 1) presumably the Pine Walk was so called because it was A) lined by pine trees (latterly more than now), and B) it was intended to be WALKED along, 2) for some unexplained reason, when on holiday, I invariably walk in the road (not on the pavement).. (don't mention dog mess)..
debz1 and Big Sal like this.
Old 17-11-2018, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Hoopy there are quite a few cycle racks including ones at Tolos, The Daina, the one you mentioned and I'm sure others... but if you're in a pedestrianised area you're supposed to wheel the bike to the rack not ride it.

With regards to pedestrians being more vigilant,of course people should be and that's a fair comment. It's the one way road and two way cycle lane that is so confusing, the speed of some cyclists, and the fact they are practically silent and you don't hear them approaching.
Aye, fair enough.

What's your thinking on solving the issue of the cycle lane cos i agree that's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 17-11-2018, 20:55

Just put a few plastic ribs across the cycle lane to wake the cyclists up before they reach the crossing points. Maybe raise the crossing points to like they do with pedestrian crossings around here. It wouldn't have done any harm to put in a few planters here and there such the the cyclists have to negotiate a few wiggles thus keeping them alert.
debz1, marilyn, Teflon and 1 others like this.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:50
Super Moderator

I have moved the last few posts into a new thread here :- https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com...ists-come.html .
bobley likes this.
Old 06-12-2018, 22:40

Sparky, correct! Well done, it was getting seriously off topic....
Old 06-12-2018, 22:44

Typical cyclists, in the wrong 'lane' as usual
Old 07-12-2018, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanser View Post
Typical cyclists, in the wrong 'lane' as usual
Maybe we should get Sparky out on the Cycle lane, administering instant justice! That would slow them down!
P&C@29 and Hanser like this.