Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 09:41

The tragic loss of life of two Swiss cyclists (second died later in Hospital) was the result of the driver of the car involved being on the wrong side of the road hitting them and a stone wall.RIP

source Mallorca Zeitung
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 10:01
Super Moderator

A thought provoking letter to the editor of the MDB :- Letters to the Editor » Letters to the editor » Comment » Majorca Daily Bulletin .
El Gordo likes this.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:54

[QUOTE=sparky;111044]A thought provoking letter to the editor of the MDB :- Letters to the Editor » Letters to the editor » Comment » Majorca Daily Bulletin .[/QUOTE

Careful what you wish for ....the Long Mynd is trending amongst cyclists !
Old 01-05-2016, 11:06
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Tiggy;111048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
A thought provoking letter to the editor of the MDB :- Letters to the Editor » Letters to the editor » Comment » Majorca Daily Bulletin .[/QUOTE

Careful what you wish for ....the Long Mynd is trending amongst cyclists !
I am not wishing for anything Tiggy except for everyone to be safe. I was just passing on some info relating to this subject .
Old 01-05-2016, 11:20

I was responding to the newspaper article which expressed wishes NOT attaching any association to you in anyway
Sparky likes this.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:22

Ha Sparky!! The letter in the MDB sounded as if had been written by Bob!!!
We totally empathise with the Shropshire lady.
At least if these huge groups of cyclists invade her lovely hills (The Long Mynd) the Police would get to grips with the appalling behaviour.
Furthermore, the hazard is worse when they are travelling downhill, as they then appear on the wrong side if the road from a bend. They even try to overtake motorists on bends!!
Sorry if this is on the wrong thread, as cycling on Pine Walk is much worse, as well as illegal.
We've had our say & hope common sense prevails.
Sparky and Rosie34 like this.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32
Super Moderator

Animagic you have not posted this on the wrong thread .
Old 01-05-2016, 13:10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by animagic21 View Post
Not sure whether you are in PP at the moment, Nick. If you are, you would have read about the cyclist and car driver killed in Sineu two days ago. A second cyclist in this accident is in a critical condition. You would also have witnessed unprecedented groups of cyclists whizzing through Pine Walk, plus the hundreds (not an exaggeration) of cyclists who totally ignore the No Entry sign from the roundabout towards Llenaire. You would also listen to tourists discussing two incidents last week between pedestrians & cyclists. I would not be comfortable with allowing any young children to wander along Pine Walk in a carefree manner, as they like to do.

Additionally, the behaviour of some cyclists in the evenings has not been good. When leaving the restaurants & bars at night, there has been much shouting amongst their huge groups.
These last three weeks have not been as pleasurable as normal. We have been visiting for 23 years, approx four times each year. Usually, this is Jan, April, June & Sept or Oct. Next year we will not visit in April. We are actually extremely positive people & not traditional British 'Moanies'. Having discussed the cycling situation with quite a few of the restaurant owners, they are all saying the same....Yes, there is a bad problem here now & the Police should address it.
I do hope that from May onwards, our normal service in lovely PP will be resumed.
I think you've totally misunderstood, or failed to read properly, my post. I've posted items about the nuisance cyclists. I'm merely not wanting people to be put off coming to PP.
Old 01-05-2016, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by animagic21 View Post
Ha Sparky!! The letter in the MDB sounded as if had been written by Bob!!!
We totally empathise with the Shropshire lady.
At least if these huge groups of cyclists invade her lovely hills (The Long Mynd) the Police would get to grips with the appalling behaviour.
Furthermore, the hazard is worse when they are travelling downhill, as they then appear on the wrong side if the road from a bend. They even try to overtake motorists on bends!!
Sorry if this is on the wrong thread, as cycling on Pine Walk is much worse, as well as illegal.
We've had our say & hope common sense prevails.
It could also have been written by us after our experiences last month - especially on the narrow windy mountain roads - talk about a white knuckle ride Like you I think we will avoid April (birthdays or no birthdays) in future
animagic21 likes this.
Old 01-05-2016, 22:28

Red face

On a lighter note.
Abit of motorway and dual carriageway were having a quiet drink in a pub when a part of redtarmac walks in."Finish your drink quick before there is any trouble"says the motorway."Thats a bit of a cyclepath thats just came in"
Sorry I apologise!!!!!
scouse mark likes this.
Old 02-05-2016, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
The tragic loss of life of two Swiss cyclists (second died later in Hospital) was the result of the driver of the car involved being on the wrong side of the road hitting them and a stone wall.RIP

source Mallorca Zeitung
As the wife of a cyclist, I'm appalled by some of the comments regarding cyclists in general on this site at the moment. It seems to me as though many of you are glad to hear about the tragic death of two cyclists - two less to hold you up on your "urgent" car journeys - shame on you all !
Yes I agree SOME cyclists are clearly not adhering to the rules of the road but let's not generalise please. They are not all "idiots" or the latest "menace on the road" - My husband would NEVER ride on the pavement or in the pedestrian area.
Every time he goes out on his bike I wonder if I will see him alive again.
So, yes I'm sorry to anyone who's ever had to wait behind him for five minutes but at least he, and you, are still alive.
hoopy, Jonsey and vincent like this.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:18

I am sure everyone was very sorry to hear of the tragic deaths that happened, no one is saying that all cyclists or drivers are not safe but some very clearly are a danger and if both drivers and cyclists followed the rules it would reduce that chance of other accidents happening.
If people have to wait for slower moving traffic then so what! however if people are faced with cars or bikes coming towards them the wrong way on a one way road that is not acceptable. This happened several times to me in April, I am now waiting for our taxi to take us to the airport and hope all road users are more sensible this trip.
favie, Sparky, animagic21 and 1 others like this.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieV View Post
As the wife of a cyclist, I'm appalled by some of the comments regarding cyclists in general on this site at the moment. It seems to me as though many of you are glad to hear about the tragic death of two cyclists - two less to hold you up on your "urgent" car journeys - shame on you all !
Yes I agree SOME cyclists are clearly not adhering to the rules of the road but let's not generalise please. They are not all "idiots" or the latest "menace on the road" - My husband would NEVER ride on the pavement or in the pedestrian area.
So, yes I'm sorry to anyone who's ever had to wait behind him for five minutes but at least he, and you, are still alive.
100% this. I must admit I dont see the attraction in cycling and with the amount of careless drivers about I would urge my kids never to get involved in it. Anytime I see a group of cyclists I'm happy to let them dictate when to pass and when not to. They are as welcome on the road as anybody.
CharlieV and vincent like this.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
No Hoopy we decided not to report this to the police. We felt that informing the relevant club and making the problems known by using social media would be more productive. It was hoped it would be enough to ensure nothing like this happened again and they would police their own.
Your husband was assualted phsically and verbally and you didnt report it to the police? Serious?

I only hope the assailant doesnt go on to do something more serious to another pedestrian.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieV View Post
I disagree with your first paragraph, nobody has said they are glad that two cyclists have died. The complaints are because some cyclists are breaking the law .
favie, animagic21, graham and 7 others like this.