Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 14:15

I dont think it will be solved until the road markings go in and the cycle lane is installed, and then it will need to be enforced!

On island time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 29-04-2016, 14:33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
I dont think it will be solved until the road markings go in and the cycle lane is installed, and then it will need to be enforced!
SWS we are talking about the already pedestrianised area, where there are clear signs saying that cycling is banned.
As for the pavements, they may be allowed to ride along them but only where there is no cycle lane and then they cannot ride any faster than walking pace. With respect you are not here to see what is going on, i can assure you they are using everything as a race track.

Again i am not saying all cyclists are doing this but too many are.
PP76, sws97sdg, animagic21 and 6 others like this.
Old 29-04-2016, 14:39

Just back from walk to Llenaire. Virtually all the groups of cyclists are ignoring the many No Entry signs. Also, along Pine Walk we were constantly battling cyclists weaving in & out of pedestrians. Unhappily, my husband is saying he no longer wishes to visit, so it must be bad.
Old 29-04-2016, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
SWS we are talking about the already pedestrianised area, where there are clear signs saying that cycling is banned.
As for the pavements, they may be allowed to ride along them but only where there is no cycle lane and then they cannot ride any faster than walking pace. With respect you are not here to see what is going on, i can assure you they are using everything as a race track.

Again i am not saying all cyclists are doing this but too many are.
I didn't think you meant the pedestrian part, that is out of order and surely the police can do something about it now!
Tangoman likes this.

On island time!!
Old 29-04-2016, 15:03
Banned

Quote:
You what?! If some of these idiot cyclists can't read and/or can't be bothered to dismount in areas where there are pedestrians do you really think they'll take notice of anything on the road?
They're becoming a law unto themselves and I can really see a pedestrian being killed if the police don't act soon.
And I'm not being over dramatic, maybe a child, infirm or elderly person being hit by a 12 stone plus person on a bike will be seriously hurt at least.
Old 29-04-2016, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
You what?! If some of these idiot cyclists can't read and/or can't be bothered to dismount in areas where there are pedestrians do you really think they'll take notice of anything on the road?
They're becoming a law unto themselves and I can really see a pedestrian being killed if the police don't act soon.
And I'm not being over dramatic, maybe a child, infirm or elderly person being hit by a 12 stone plus person on a bike will be seriously hurt at least.
That is my concern Nick. My grandchildren love to run around the pedestrian area and the trouble is when the cyclists get into groups it seems to encourage them to ride faster. Unless enforced there will be an accident.
PP76, debz1, Belladonna and 2 others like this.
Old 29-04-2016, 15:40
Super Moderator

Totally agree with Nick and Chelseadons .
Tangoman likes this.
Old 29-04-2016, 16:49

I was once first on the scene in a pedestrian area (not in PP) when a toddler had been running around and was hit by a cyclist riding past (illegally). The toddler’s fingers were jammed in the bicycle wheel when I rushed forward to assist.

That very unpleasant memory came back to me immediately when I was in PP last April. Delighted to see the numbers of cycling visitors, but horrified how many cyclists seemed to expect to take precedence in pedestrianised sections.

It’s not acceptable for what felt like the Tour de France peloton to be riding down the narrow Pine Walk footpath. And the groups seem to go faster once they reach the wider pedestrian section in front of Sis Pins/Miramar, where many toddlers run around. Another concern there is cyclists approaching a strolling pedestrian from behind; modern bikes are almost silent and don’t seem to have ring-ring bells.

There’s definitely an accident waiting to happen; and/or has already?

On a positive note – some cyclists do dismount and walk along the narrow and wider pedestrianised areas; good that they do this despite the problems seemingly caused to them by walking on their special shoes/cleats.

Whenever these walking-cyclists passed me, I gave them a “thank you” smile to make them feel welcome; and perhaps to encourage them to set the standard for all.
Old 29-04-2016, 17:18

Quote:
Does anyone seriously think these cyclists will use a cycle lane where they will probably have to ride single file?. I doubt it very much. It remains to be seen.
debz1 and Tangoman like this.
Old 30-04-2016, 09:15

Evidently there is an island cycle race today, which does include Pollensa in its route, maybe not PP, but be careful out there! ;-)
Nick and eleanor like this.

Last edited by Belladonna; 30-04-2016 at 09:17.
Old 30-04-2016, 09:15

Angry Cyclists

It would appear PP is becoming a dangerous place for older people and children due to these cyclists. I am sorry I have already booked for May, I shall wait until May's visit to see if I return. I have been coming for 29 years now but with the problems of cyclists, no sun beds and the ever present dog fouling PP would appear to be going down hill at an alarming rate.
steve&marilyn likes this.
Old 30-04-2016, 09:31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Evidently there is an island cycle race today, which does include Pollensa in its route, maybe not PP, but be careful out there! ;-)
Yes i posted this on the "Road Closures" thread :-

13015185_1021500071236447_4716804085761790202_n by lyn.sparkes, on Flickr
eleanor likes this.
Old 30-04-2016, 09:36

Interesting report on cyclists in the MDB.

Quote:
Sporting events in Majorca bring a clear economic benefit but they also cause inconvenience. The challenge is to find a balance and so therefore some form of regulation.

The Council of Majorca finally gave its authorisation for tomorrow's Mallorca 312, but there are two further races (of less importance) on Sunday, while next Saturday the Ironman triathlon takes place, meaning road closures in the north of the island. Because of the growing number of events, the Council and mayors are in favour of there being limits. At a meeting with 25 municipalities' representatives, a proposal was made for authorising only the most important events, those of particular benefit to tackling tourism seasonality. "We calculate that some 150,000 cycling tourists will have visited Majorca this season. This is a significant number. We must reflect and determine where we place limits," says the councillor for land, Mercedes Garrido.

The Council wants to regulate events through the law of activities and it is in favour of there being a forum or other type of body through which town halls and residents can have a voice. Garrido notes that, for example, the Puerto Soller road is often closed. "The residents' association should be able to give its opinion."

The mayor of Arta, Tolo Gili, believes that the government should declare some races as being of special tourism interest on account of their benefits. He admits that they do though cause inconvenience. "They need to be minimised as much as possible."

Antoni Solivellas, the mayor of Escorca, says that the municipality stages some thirty races that require road closures. "They are important for tackling seasonality but should take into account the municipalities which are affected and compensate them."

The events do have a financial cost. There are the costs of putting up and taking down barriers and those for extra hours of police work. In some municipalities the provision of services are regulated by local ordinance. In Escorca, for instance, organisers are charged the cost of having rubbish containers for races. The town hall in Andratx, which will have a dozen police officers available for Mallorca 312, has approved a law for establishing the price of officers for events and private celebrations. Mayor Jaume Porsell suggests, however, that perhaps this should not apply to Mallorca 312, given the benefits that it offers.

For tomorrow's event, the Guardia Civil will make available some one hundred officers, some of whom have come from Minorca and the mainland. The Guardia will not be charging for them.
The original report can be seen here :- Mayors wanting limits to road races » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin
Sparky and eleanor like this.

Last edited by Belladonna; 30-04-2016 at 10:27.
Old 30-04-2016, 13:38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&C@29 View Post
It would appear PP is becoming a dangerous place for older people and children due to these cyclists. I am sorry I have already booked for May, I shall wait until May's visit to see if I return. I have been coming for 29 years now but with the problems of cyclists, no sun beds and the ever present dog fouling PP would appear to be going down hill at an alarming rate.
Let's cut out that nonsense for a start!!!
The few "problems" being mentioned are really insignificant compared to the benefits that PP has to offer.

Everywhere has its issues but I guarantee you'll enjoy your holiday and will return, honest!

As mentioned before, we Brits love a good moan but the pros far outweigh the cons!
Old 30-04-2016, 19:41

Not sure whether you are in PP at the moment, Nick. If you are, you would have read about the cyclist and car driver killed in Sineu two days ago. A second cyclist in this accident is in a critical condition. You would also have witnessed unprecedented groups of cyclists whizzing through Pine Walk, plus the hundreds (not an exaggeration) of cyclists who totally ignore the No Entry sign from the roundabout towards Llenaire. You would also listen to tourists discussing two incidents last week between pedestrians & cyclists. I would not be comfortable with allowing any young children to wander along Pine Walk in a carefree manner, as they like to do.

Additionally, the behaviour of some cyclists in the evenings has not been good. When leaving the restaurants & bars at night, there has been much shouting amongst their huge groups.
These last three weeks have not been as pleasurable as normal. We have been visiting for 23 years, approx four times each year. Usually, this is Jan, April, June & Sept or Oct. Next year we will not visit in April. We are actually extremely positive people & not traditional British 'Moanies'. Having discussed the cycling situation with quite a few of the restaurant owners, they are all saying the same....Yes, there is a bad problem here now & the Police should address it.
I do hope that from May onwards, our normal service in lovely PP will be resumed.
favie, PP76, debz1 and 6 others like this.