Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfaholics
  • 1 Post By Millipet
  • 1 Post By Deanscroft
  • 1 Post By Deanscroft
  • 1 Post By whaleywanderer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 13:34

Default Are you satisfied with your bank?

We were completely happy with our bank (Bancaja) until it became Bankia earlier on last year. They now seem to charge for absolutely everything, we don't need the use of a card but have to have one to enable us to do online banking as the password is part of the card number, 18€ per year charge. Also, 6€ charge for just maintenance of the account, this is before any transaction charges.

We are looking to change banks and would appreciate any information or recommendations from others experiences.

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 03-01-2013 at 13:35. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 13:43

Default Banks in PP

We used to bank with the Halifax in Puerto Pollensa and were delighted with the service we got there. Also, very low charges for the account.
However, when they closed, we opened accounts with Barclays in the port (where the lovely Colmado Mir emporium used to be) and have to say that they are very good.
They even give you a small percentage back on all of your utility direct debits too. The team there speak good English and also respond to calls and emails promptly.

Last edited by Lorenzo; 03-01-2013 at 18:58.
Old 03-01-2013, 14:44

We too banked with halifax in the Port but maintained our account when they moved. They respond very quickly to email enquiries ,just not very convenient if you need to pay anything in. Yearly charge 25 euros no other charges.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02

Default Banks

I have to say that we also bank with Barclays in the Port and cannot speak highly enough of them.

All the staff are excellent and speak perfect English especially the lovely Aina Maria who is extremly helpful.

Online banking is not a problem and as has been said their charges are minimal and they give a small credit on all direct debit payments.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 15:05

Smile Bank Satisfaction

We also suffered problems of commission on everything at Banca March in the port and decided to change to Barclays. Have nothing but praise for them so far, as previously posted. Small interest payments on every direct debit and very pleasant English speaking staff particularly Aina Maria who helped us with everything in a very efficient manner.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 23:19

I have stuck with Bancia despite them starting to charge when they changed from Bancaja. I stayed as I had previously been with Banca March where I paid around 70€ a year in charges. My charges with Bancia for the past year are 30€. Since they changed to Bancia you no longer need the card to use the internet bank as it now accepts your NIE number. I gave my card back a year ago when the annual fee went up from 12€ to 18€.
lollipop likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 23:21

Forgot to add - only bad report I have heard about Barclays is their exchange rate. When my Father-in -Law who has an account there wanted to change 1000 pounds stirling into euros he got a better deal at the hotel next door !!!!!
lollipop likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
Since they changed to Bancia you no longer need the card to use the internet bank as it now accepts your NIE number. I gave my card back a year ago when the annual fee went up from 12€ to 18€.
This is interesting as I was told by the bank that because the password to logon was the last 4 digits from your card that you needed your card for Internet banking. So if you logon using your NIE, how is your password made up, is it one that you can choose, as in this country? I would love to save myself a few euros.
lollipop likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:41
Banned

Also use Barclays in the port. Convenient, efficient, helpful and staff speak excellent English.

Have to agree re Aina, she is very good and has helped us out on several occasions with matters other than banking as well.

If I have only one criticism it's that Barclays UK and Barclays Spain are only the same in name, i.e. you cannot transfer money between the two etc. which is a shame.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55

Does anybody know if Santander have any plans in the future to link their Spanish bank with the UK organisation?
Old 06-01-2013, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleywanderer View Post
Does anybody know if Santander have any plans in the future to link their Spanish bank with the UK organisation?
Not that I am aware of. I ditched my Spanish account with them some time ago, partly because of the lack of links between the Spanish and UK bank accounts. Luckily, Halifax and Lloyds Bank International stil have a direct link for their Spanish & UK accounts. Their exchange rates are not the best, but at least you can get money over to Mallorca quickly if you need it, just with a few clicks on their web page.

Also, found the customer service in the local Santander branch to be quite lacking and their charges were quite high IMO. Even closing the account down, cost quite a lot!

Last edited by Lorenzo; 06-01-2013 at 16:44.
Old 07-01-2013, 16:10

We are with SolBank and have been pleased with their service. However - as some might know from my previous posts we were talked into buying their insurance policy. For the past two years we have been in dispute with them as someone drove into our wall knocking it down and damaging the iron gates too. They are refusing to pay out as we are unable to give them details of who drove into the wall! This is like asking a burglar to sign a visitors book!!
Anyway for 2 years we have continued this fight and have no intention of stopping. We will take legal action if necessary. The problem now is that the number we have been given in Madrid and according to the bank in Pollensa the only number, just rings and rings!
Does anyone have a phone number which they can give me for contact please?
To google just gives forums inundated with negative comments regarding using SolBank insurance.
This is such a shame as SolBank in the Port are very nice people to deal with and our complaint isn't with them. They say their hands are tied. Certainly wern't tied very tightly when they sold their insurance to us.

Last edited by eleanor; 07-01-2013 at 16:34.