Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 09:03

Default Bank queries and info.

Hi, we couldn't get to PP last year but are coming back once again in June. Last time out (09) there was a Barclays Bank with a cashpoint opposite the Eolo which was great for getting our holiday cash (not to mention FREE!). Is it still there does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Old 13-05-2011, 09:07
Super Moderator

Yes it is still there in the old Mir building.
Old 13-05-2011, 11:33

Smile

Great, thanks for the update
Old 14-05-2011, 19:06
Banned

Hi you two

Free??? How's that. I bank with Barclays in the UK, have done for 29 years now, and have an account at Barclays in PP but have to pay when I withdraw money.

Please tell me more!!!!
Old 14-05-2011, 20:01

Mmm yes I was thinking the same! Do tell!!
Old 15-05-2011, 11:33

Does anyone know if the Barclays PP accounts can appear on the online banking service?
Old 15-05-2011, 13:11

Default Barclays in PP

I have a euro a/c with Barclays in Puerto Pollensa. The staff there are very helpful. They gave me the instructions for looking at my Barclays euro a/c on line through the Spanish Barclays website. When I withdraw euros from the cashpoint there, using my Spanish Barclays bank card, there are no charges.

The big plus with the Spanish Barclays account is that they give me back a small percentage of my standing orders - electricity, community charges etc - which is very welcome.
Old 15-05-2011, 18:44

For info, I opened an account with Santander which allows free overseas cash withdrawls, but you have to have a couple of accounts with them to get this one. Used to use my Nationwide Flaxaccount in PP which saved me a bit in commission but they charge now.
Old 15-05-2011, 19:12
Banned

Hi GG

Yes you can view your Spanish Barclays bank account on-line.

Jst pop in and one of the very friendly/helpful full English speaking girls will show you what to do. It's v easy once you've done it a couple of times.
Old 20-05-2011, 18:57

I assume the big Santander branch is still in the port?

I too am an ex-Nationwide user but hopefully will be able to get free withdrawals at Santander as I am have my current account with them (Allliance and Leicester that was) but would like to be sure the bank is still there!

I used to use BBVA with nationwide and somehow can't remember seeing an ATM at Santander but surely there is one??
Old 20-05-2011, 19:16
Super Moderator

Hi Tangofan, yes Santander bank is still here and they have an ATM outside the C/JuanXX111 entrance.
Old 20-05-2011, 22:52

Sparky, thanks very much, that is very reassuring!
Old 20-05-2011, 23:44

Hi

Just check before you go because I [I]think[I] you only get free withdrawals if you have a zero account ............ I actually think people with just basic accounts get charged when they use their cards

We had a current account which wasn't a zero account ( again ex alliance and leicester ) and even though it did get £1,000 paid in each month ( which is what you need to get a zero account ) they didn;t automatically convert our account to a Zero account, we had to request this

Glad we did because we now get the free ATM usage at the Santander exchange rate which is usually at least 3 cents better than Halifax or M&S Mastercard. We have also got ourselves a Zero credit card which we just use when abroad as this now works out as the ceapest way for us to spend money in Majorca

If only Santander would find a way of allowing you to do on line transfers between your UK Santander account and a Spanish Santander account I would open up a spanish account .............. but they can't.

So far as I know the only bank that lets you do that is Lloyds ( ex Halifax ) which may seem convenient and cheap ( free transfers ) but their "bank exchange rate" is awful ................ worse than the M&S tourist rate
Old 22-05-2011, 16:49

its CD, thanks for this. I have my doubts about whether I can use my A & L card free as I have rung them twice and the first time I was told I couldn't but the 2nd time was told that I could use it in Spanish Santander ATMs free of charge. They said they would mark it on my account but I said I wanted it in writing! I just looked at the Santander website and the Zero account says it is free anywhere in the world but you don't get the free travel insurance. You get this on a Premium Account but it costs £20 a month but no free ATM! Aaaaaaaaaaaargh. Bring back Alliance and Leicester and their excellent service please!

It is quite ridiculous that they can't connect up the UK and Spanish accounts I agree.

Has anyone used their blue A & L card for free in the Santander ATM?
Old 22-05-2011, 20:31
Banned

"It is quite ridiculous that they can't connect up the UK and Spanish accounts I agree."

"Can't" or "won't" ???!!!