Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-05-2010, 16:46

I imagin owners are pretty much in the dark about it too and wouldn't know how to advise clients. Its definately a subject that needs looking into and dealing with by the authorities, especially with the season starting and the possibility of clients allowing these people into the apartments/villas.
Old 20-05-2010, 16:49

Sparky we crossed! - We leave very detailed information in our villa and our housekeeper lets herself be known to our people very early in their holiday. Our people know to call her or us should anyone drop in. They know that should we be expecting anyone i.e. gardener, pool cleaner etc etc that they come at a certain time and certain day. They are also aware of names.

Crossed with you too Bella!

Last edited by eleanor; 20-05-2010 at 16:50. Reason: Crossed Bella
Old 20-05-2010, 16:53

This goes back to my point Bella that we know about these scams because we are told via this forum. Not everyone - visitor or owner - uses this site. Certainly wouldn't hurt for leaflets to be left in supermarkets etc. Can only be positive for PP too as it will show the visitor that scammers will not be put up with and will be swept out with a 'large broom.'!
Old 20-05-2010, 16:58

Absolutely eleanor! If community officials - (are you listening BL!) - can take this problem to the necessary authorities, that may help. It probably requires those living there permanently or long term to deal with this rather than short stay owners.
Old 20-05-2010, 17:02

You are right Bella. We can only do so much as part timers. It seems these people are at it throughout the year.
Old 20-05-2010, 18:39
Super Moderator

Am i missing something here, i really can't see any difference between dealing with con artists in PP to anywhere else in the world. The problem gets reported in the local press and media whenever it is happening (as it is in the UK), i honestly have never seen warning posters and leaflet drops in the part of the UK i lived in (which was a tourist area) so why should we expect it here .
Old 20-05-2010, 19:02

We are in a tourist seaside area here in the UK. Whenever anything strange happens then we have free local newspapers which ensure everyone knows about it. We also have neighbourhood watch which is very active in mosts streets in this area. Each street belongs to a designated area which has its own police officer responsible for that area. He/she/office is contactable by mobile 24 hours per day. As an example if so much as a pot plant goes missing in our street, the following day every house will receive a notification. This has been a very successful project and has only really taken the time of one person per street plus the designated officer to make us feel safe and comfortable within our surroundings. If so much as a strange car is parked in our cul de sac then it is noted. Big brother a little, I suppose but I feel sure that this approach would keep any scammers away from here.

Sparky, you ask why we should expect posters or leaflet drops in PP. I don't think that is what is expected. What Bella suggested was that the local supermarkets could have leaflets near their tills perhaps so that the visitors and property owners who were not aware become aware and are therefore are on guard. It has been said so many times on here that every part of the body travels on holiday except the brain! I do think we can all let our guards down sometimes and to be reminded to be aware is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Last edited by eleanor; 20-05-2010 at 19:10. Reason: spelling error
Old 20-05-2010, 19:15
Super Moderator

All i can say Eleanor is that you are a very fortunate person to be living in a virtually crime free area and i really hope it stays that way.
It was like that in PP a few years ago, unfortunately criminals are always on the move looking for pastures new. Which means we all have to try to stay a step ahead of them and that means staying alert at all times, wherever we are.
In this instance "If in doubt, shut them out".
Old 20-05-2010, 19:27

Yes you are right Sparky. I think I will use those words in big letters in the villa!
IF IN DOUBT SHUT THEM OUT!
I live on the Essex coast which until recently was far from crime free. Bank holidays used to see many a fight from gangs coming here mostly from London for their holiday 'knock abouts' ! Thankfully due to the heavy stand of the council and the local police, this doesn't happen anymore. Whilst my area is a much safer and socially acceptable area to live as we have insisted on this being the case, it is not crime free. Life has been made very difficult for those with intentions of breaking the law however.
This is the approach we need not just in PP but generally. I think the worry with PP is that as property owners many of us are not there for most of the year and rely on others to have the same attitude as us. This is probably what the con artists think too.

Last edited by eleanor; 20-05-2010 at 20:07.
Old 20-05-2010, 19:41
Super Moderator

I suppose that's the price you have to pay when you are an absent owner.
Old 20-05-2010, 22:37

I really dont want to go off track here but feel I must just comment on a point you made there Sparky. When we had a problem in the uk concerning breakins done in a particular method, and keys taken to steal cars etc. the police did indeed put leaflets through advising home owners on relevant security measures. And it worked.
Also re your comment on absent owners, I'm not too sure what you mean, but as you have found out, these con artists appear on the doorstep even when you are a local. As you say, it happens everywhere and does not make PP a bad place, it just needs to keep up with the times and be aware of added security measures.
This has been an informative thread and I'm sure we are all after the same safe outcome.
Old 20-05-2010, 22:58
Super Moderator

Bella i can and only ever comment on my own experience, both in the UK and here in PP. As i have already said in my area things were reported in the press and on TV and radio, that was all. Yes in the public car parks there were warning signs about thefts from and of cars but that was it.
As for my point about absent owners, all i meant was that if you rent your property to the general public, the downside is that you can't control who they allow into your property.
Old 20-05-2010, 23:02

Yes, thats true. I suppose it just depends on how aware the authorities are on various aspects of crime. Lets just hope they step up to the mark to help the locals out as well as the tourists.
Old 20-05-2010, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Is there a way of telling the true one as opposed to the fake one? Badge, certificate etc. If so, the police could put out leaflets advising what to look out for, much the same way as they do here when a scam becomes prolific.
Its quiet easy really if someone calls saying they are there to check you gas fittings its a scam because the only time a genuine engineer will call is if you contact them to arrange for them to visit, SIMPLE'S
Old 20-05-2010, 23:17

Oh well that is simple then, as long as you know I suppose! The problem is if people think its the "done thing" in Mallorca for engineers to just turn up and be helpful!