Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 20:23

Angry A Little Warning

Don't wish to alarm anyone but while Hubby and I were in PP mid Jan to mid Feb, Hubby had his Organiser taken from his hand while walking along the street. We were walking along Medico Lopez nr the junction with Llevant on a Sunday night at about 10 when a young "hoodie" ran up from behind and grabbed it out of his hand. We reported this to the police next day, not because we had lost anything valuable, but because we wanted to make them aware that whilst we are conscious of pickpockets in the market and supermarkets, we did not expect London style "mugging". They were surprised that someone would approach people so actively.

I think it was probably opportunistic as that area is basically closed apart from Trio and Naciente pre April and I was told that there is a little crowd that hang out on that corner. But do take care. I must admit I was shaken as I have walked either out or back on my own at all times of evening and night and felt completely safe. It would be such a shame if PP was to become like so many other places.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2008, 23:55

sorry to hear what happend to you in puerto pollensa, have always felt so safe there walking at night ,hopes its not the start of things to come.
Old 02-04-2008, 00:00

sorry meant to add when we were staying in puerto pollensa last may we rented an apartment through bellamar and a few apartments in the flora and oro playa area were broken into.
Old 02-04-2008, 14:59

Signs of the times I am afraid
Old 03-04-2008, 22:21

We too had a break-in at a rented Villa in the Siller area last July. We rented from Villa Parade and their staff were really helpful, accompanying me to the Guarda Civil to make a statement (yep, they're as much use as our lot!).

Villa Parade have since beefed up security at the villa, which is reassuring as we're staying in the same place again this year - fingers crossed!

I must say that crime was pretty well unheard of when we first visited PP in 1992 - or do I have rose coloured specs?

Mind you......wasn't there a murder in the town over the winter?

Ho hum.
Old 04-04-2008, 16:34

Unhappy

hi, sorry to hear of your bother, my wife daughter and i were walking along pine walk last summer in the evening when we were pestered with young boys on bikes trying to trip people up, when i told them to go away their bad language for spaniards was amazing, when they threw a stone nearly hitting my daughters eye I saw red and chased after them and unfortunately the one i caught cut his face when he fell off his bike. My wife insisted in going to the police in case I was charged but quite honestly they wern,t too interested. A few days later I saw one of these young thugs giving up cheek to a policeman outside the amusements, he was taunting him but the policeman couldn,t catch him.I hope this is not the shape of things to come in pp, it should be nipped in the bud before someone gets hurt. while I,m on a rant could they not get the police to walk along the pine walk at dusk and move on the groups of youths smoking suspicious looking cigarettes. GPM
Old 04-04-2008, 19:08

....and here was me worrying about building distruptions!!! Sorry to hear about these experiences but on reading this thread it doesn't sound like the PP I know and love - please tell me these are few and far between incidents!!! I know one is enough but surely it is not commonplace in PP. The most I have ever seen is local lads enjoying a game of footie, get in the way but hey its allowed - have I just been fortunate?? Come Bonyslad reassure me again!! As I said before, my sister and her husband are joining us this year - I have told her all great stories about the place - would dread to think they would experience anything like what you have described!!! Thankyou for the warning anyway - we can all be a bit too chilled out on holiday ( as it should be!!) but now have to be more vigilant
Old 04-04-2008, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by favie View Post
....and here was me worrying about building distruptions!!! Come Bonyslad reassure me again!! :
Favie,

Relax , realise there may have been a few instances like have been reported but still a very safe place . Certainly doesn't feel any different at all and just as nice as ever.

You'll be just as happy as always.

BonysLad
Old 04-04-2008, 21:41

Default A little warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by favie View Post
....and here was me worrying about building distruptions!!! Come Bonyslad reassure me again!! :
Favie,

Relax , realise there may have been a few instances like have been reported but still a very safe place . Certainly doesn't feel any different at all and just as nice as ever.

You'll be just as happy as always.

BonysLad
Old 04-04-2008, 21:43

Thank you Treasure,

Just what I wanted to hear - and thanks for reassuring me again, so quickly!!

I know it will be as amazing as ever
Old 04-04-2008, 23:21

As BonysLad says it's very isolated incidences and PP is still a very safe place.I just think it's adolescent kids in a small town..the same the world over!! They get bored and start to lark about and sometimes it gets out of hand. I'm sure the PP police know who the trouble makers are and are on look out for them.

As much as we all love PP it must be very quiet and boring there for teenagers...no cinemas etc within close proximity so you all meet up and bravado rules! Smoking dope, unfortunately, is par for the course, with that age group the world over.

An English friend of mine,married to a Mallorquin, told me her 15 year old son begged her to send him back to England to live with his grandparents because he was so bored in PP!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:18

The 1st time i was there, the villa next door got burgled in broard daylight!!! at about 3pm!
The owners were in the pool at the back and the burglars got in the front! cheeky or what!!
Sorry peeps, but it does happen. But then again, it happens everywhere. Just be careful.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:12

Default Villa Burglaries

Yes it does happen - it happened to my parents who were by the pool of the villa they were staying in. They didn't lock the door and thieves got in without them knowing.

We always lock the door and take the house keys to the pool with us. If your villa has a gate, shut and lock that too. Just because we're on holiday we really shouldn't let our guard down.

Have a safe holiday - these incidents are very isolated.

Jane
Old 05-04-2008, 09:44

We had hired a villa which had gravel around it so we usually heard anything that came down the drive.
However, it was a dark, dark night and the wind howled and rain lashed the shutters - get the picture?
They broke in downstairs and stole the video camera. Didnt hear anything over the storm.
It happens.
Old 05-04-2008, 19:26

Default A Little Warning

This was our first mid winter trip but it certainly has not put us off coming back (and hopefully spending most of our retirement there). Having visited PP for more than 20 years without incident, we were probably a bit too relaxed and not as alert as we should have been in a dark area. We were just glad it was an organiser and not my handbag that was taken. That certainly would have caused a problem, as we did not have a safe in the apartment and so had our passports, documents, cards etc in it.

On a happier note - we have been enjoying our daily fix of the Barnard Hamilton webcam. Thanks to the forum member who pointed it out! It'll keep us going until we're there for real!
Closed Thread