Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13

Default Getting Wifi in Apartment - Advice Please

Having just spent ~£350 in a week on my phone here , I'm starting to consider getting Wifi in my apartment. We come out about 4 times a year and our next stay is for 2 weeks in July.

I would really appreciate any advice you could offer on how to go about this, likely costs, best vendors etc.

In PP for another few days, so maybe July before I can sort this out. We don't currently have a telephone line.

Thanks
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53

Hello Michelle,

I also have an apartment with no phone line and use a vodafone dongle,
it works very well.

Check out some electrical shops to purchase one, as the Vodafone shop in
Pollensa has now closed, I get top ups for it at the Lottery shop
in Puerto Pollensa.

Hope this helps....
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59

Hi Michelle
That would be my advice as well, just search the site for dongle, lots of advice about where to buy them and how to top them up, would be a lot cheaper than your phone

On island time!!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13
Super Moderator

Hi Michelle there is a lot of dongle info here http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...s-laptops.html
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43

Hi Michelle,
If there are enough likeminded people in your apartment block/community then you might consider using someone like I B Red to install community WiFi.
No phone line needed at all and very good reception.
You probably need a minimum of 10 to 12 to make it worthwhile .We had it installed in the community I am president of in Boquer 2 years ago and the ongoing monthly cost based on 14 apartments is under 10€ a month.There is of course an initial installation fee for an ariel and cableing to each apartment which was all carried out in 1 day very easily.

The Senor
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35

It is very frustrating to try to get things sorted within a block. I know, we have been trying for about 3 years now! At the moment, I am sticking with the good old dongle - after all that running around to get one, I have to make use of it! However, I have noticed that the people below have had wifi set up on their individual apartment, even though we discussed at a meeting for the whole block to be involved - but thats neighbours for you. Problem arises when there are local residents who have no interest at all in putting in wifi, which is absolutely fair enough, but then the price goes up considerably for the rest - and they end up using it anyway! Bring back postcards, that's what I say!
El Gordo and usandthewoof like this.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:04

Many thanks for your replies. We don't have a laptop out here, just bring iPhones & iPads, so not sure if the dongle option will work for us. The block option is interesting Señor - will look to discuss further with other residents.

Michelle
Old 13-04-2012, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymx28 View Post
Many thanks for your replies. We don't have a laptop out here, just bring iPhones & iPads, so not sure if the dongle option will work for us.
You can get a MiFi (mobile WiFi) dongle modem from both Vodafone Spain or Yoigo.

See:- Vodafone: Acceso a Internet Módem Vodafone Mobile MiFi R201

and

https://tienda.yoigo.com/selforder/i...uawei-e586bs-2
Old 13-04-2012, 10:23

Smile Dongles

You need to check what reception is like (particularly where you live!). Try it using a mobile phone.
I have recently been involved with a friend buying a dongle, and we ended-up buying a pay as you go dongle from the Orange shop in Alcudia. It hasn't let him down yet and it seems to work in most places in the Port.

Cheers!

San Miguel.
Old 13-04-2012, 11:16

Personally I would not do any of these things.
Why not buy a coffee each day at one of the hotels, restaurants and bars now all offering freee WiFi.
No worry about maintenance, no monthly bills.
lollipop and eleanor like this.
Old 13-04-2012, 11:28

Hi Michelle

I'm using my IPad with a data enabled Spanish sim card which I ordered before I came away for £29.99, it is the 'Happy Movil' (Orange) network. The initial payment included 1 Gb of data, the first 350mb at 3G speed. I have been using it now for over a week for general Internet and emails and is still working on 3G. It can also be used in an IPhone for making calls, although I have not tried this.

I have not had to top up yet and not sure if it will still work for data when topped up, which I believe can be done in most supermarkets, tobacs etc. The instructions that came with it were very sparce! Only time will tell, I will probably try to top up by a small amount when it runs out and see what happens.

I found it on the Internet by doing a search for 'Spanish sim cards' sorry cant remember the name of the company, think it was Holiday ............. If I remember I'll add the name later.

Hope this helps, it works for me.
Old 13-04-2012, 11:44
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfshaw View Post
Personally I would not do any of these things.
Why not buy a coffee each day at one of the hotels, restaurants and bars now all offering freee WiFi.
No worry about maintenance, no monthly bills.
All of these places offer it puertopollensa.com/internet_cafes.html#wifipp and of course many more do. Just look for the 'Wifi' sign or ask.
Old 13-04-2012, 11:52
Founder

But if you really do want a phone line plus Wifi etc., ours is telefonica & I think I pay about 65 EUR a month which for me is worth it as I come out regularly & have a business to run. Our property management company organised it for me.

So even that would be cheaper than £350 a week! Which network were you using to be charged so much? Most UK mobile companies offer European data packages. If I'm elsewhere in Europe I also have an Orange dongle (on contract) that offers a Daily package for £7 for 50 Mb & I think you can get that for phones too. Virgin Media charge £24 for 20 MB over 7 days.

There are plenty of options!
Sparky likes this.
Old 13-04-2012, 16:31

Mifi is sounding promising - will investigate before going home. Making the most of Cappuccino at the moment :-)

FYI the mobile network is O2 ...

Michelle
Old 13-04-2012, 17:29

The MiFi is a great idea.

If you dont find one while you are on holiday the data Sim card and an unlocked mi-fi can both be found on ebay. ( just ask if you need any links)

Not sure if you know how these work but it has nothing to do with your UK O2 contract.

The mi-fi would use a Spanish pay as you go data sim card to connect to the Spanish mobile phone data network and then it transmits this internet data by wifi so your ipad/iphone/laptop etc can connect to the internet just the same as in an internet cafe or at home on wifi.

If you made a phone call or sent a text on your UK mobile phone it would still cost you roaming rates as just the internet data is going through the Spanish phone network and not the calls or texts.

If doing a lot of texting its best to add a temporary upgrade/package to your UK contact while you are away, often only costs a few pounds for a bundle of roaming texts or roaming calls.