Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfshaw View Post
Personally I would not do any of these things.
Why not buy a coffee each day at one of the hotels, restaurants and bars now all offering freee WiFi.
No worry about maintenance, no monthly bills.
A good idea but most people don't realise the security risks of wifi and enter passwords or visit websites such as online email accounts.

A video that hints at what goes on. The device the security geek has is very clever and can do far more than he shows in the video.

Upgrade Your Life: Online Banking - How Not To Get Hacked - Yahoo! News
( sorry about the advert on yahoo..)

I best not post a link to site that sells the device

The mobile phone network is far safer than any wi-fi at the moment.
Nick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 16-04-2012, 21:12

Thanks for the like

Another couple of videos, features the same person.

Airport WiFi Challenge and Your Ultra Software Picks - Hak5

scroll forwards to 3 minutes into the video where he is at an airport for a challenge.
This is a two year old video so is nothing new, this has been going on for years.

------
Another video that is more recent using a more advanced later generation device. It goes on a bit but watch from 7:36 in the video until 23:19
The device is hidden in a coffee cup.

Circumvent Windows Login Security with a USB boot-drive... - Hak5
Old 05-05-2012, 12:08

Default JMD internet post.

Hello there, I just thought I would let you know that I am having a business meeting this week after which I hope to be able to offer WI FI to visitors to Mallorca - approx. 6€ per day to cover up to 5 devices including smart phones or laptops etc. Small, lightweight, very reliable. Two packages available. Minimum one week rental. I shall provide more info when all is confirmed but this sounds perfect answer to help out many holidaymakers and owners of properties with the problem of wi fi coverage.
favie, its cd, Belladonna and 2 others like this.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06

I Have to say I have been using DDT for almost 2 years now and they are fantastic . We pay 54 Euro plus tax a month and that gives us unlimited internet with WiFi ,300 free mins to UK land lines every month, all local calls are free, Line Rental, Our Bills are Emailed every month in English, They have English speaking call centre. Plus a number in the UK that people can call and it connects directly to our phone in PP when using this number its free for us and only a local call cost for the people calling from UK. and the Wifi speed is surprisingly good as good as our BT in Yorkshire.
eleanor likes this.
Old 09-05-2012, 14:12

Fil that really is an excellent deal. Thanks for the info. We had a phone line with telefonica but had so many problems with the service and also their billing. We eventually had the line taken away. Will look into this as having the facility is certainly a big plus.
Old 09-05-2012, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
Fil that really is an excellent deal. Thanks for the info. We had a phone line with telefonica but had so many problems with the service and also their billing. We eventually had the line taken away. Will look into this as having the facility is certainly a big plus.
Thats the great thing once Telefonica put the line in you never have to deal with them ever again DDT take care of everything that's why we went with them Telefonica can be very hard work !!!!!!
eleanor likes this.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymx28 View Post
Having just spent ~£350 in a week on my phone here , I'm starting to consider getting Wifi in my apartment. We come out about 4 times a year and our next stay is for 2 weeks in July.

I would really appreciate any advice you could offer on how to go about this, likely costs, best vendors etc.

In PP for another few days, so maybe July before I can sort this out. We don't currently have a telephone line.

Thanks
Michelle
That's a horrific amount to spend & there have been many good suggestions here for getting it set up in your own apartment but if you haven't yet resolved it, do have a look at wifirental which will only cost you 39.90 EUR per week for 1 GB of data (& when it runs out the speed just drops you don't suddenty get charged more - or you can pay for a top-up). Anyway this is another option which may well suit & up to 5 people can connect to the gadget you're given.
Old 11-06-2012, 22:10

Thanks for this Pollensa. I've bought a MiFi device if my own in preparation for our visit in July. Advice re best payg data SIM deal for the area would be very welcome.
Old 26-08-2012, 21:41

I am now requiring full wifi in my apartment, I see from a recent post from fil6699, that he would seem to have a very attractive deal with a company called DDT, can you please advise me as to how I would go about requiring this service/package. Thanks
Old 27-08-2012, 06:51

Hi first you need a phone line from Telefonica once you have this or if you already have it contact DDT vie web or call them local number on the web pages and they will set everything up including line rental so you don't have to deal with Telefonica. I am still very happy after a number of years
Old 27-08-2012, 09:05

Thanks fil6699, I have tried "googling" DDT, but cant seem to find them, what is DDT short for , and what would I expect to pay Telefonica for the line ? thanks for all your help.
Old 27-08-2012, 09:38

hi once you have the line then you pay everything to Direct Telecom around 65 Euro for Internet Line rental plus 300 mins free calls to UK a month plus other stuff try, direct-telecom.es Hope that helps

Last edited by Sparky; 27-08-2012 at 10:00. Reason: Direct link removed.
Old 27-08-2012, 13:37

Default Wifi

Hi you could also try Ib-red we have had excellent service from them. They have various packages and definitely worth looking at.
Contact details: Telephone:971 53 08 03 email:info@ib-red.com
If you don't need a telephone just wifi it will work out cheaper as you can have wifi installed without the need of the expense of a telephone line!

Last edited by pollensabay; 27-08-2012 at 13:40.
Old 27-08-2012, 13:38

Default IBred holiday wifi

There is another option, IB red mentioned way back on the thread offer an option to buy the equipment, it's quite expensive, but then you can get them to turn the broadband on and off and only pay the times you are here, I had it fitted for a client, and within 2 years it had paid for itself, you can check their website for their prices. We have them at home but as we live here we rent from them, we are very happy with their service.
Old 27-08-2012, 13:49

Yes Chocaholic thats what we did bought the equipment and they turn it on and off at our request must be for a minimum of two weeks at a time but has worked out great for us!
They do have various packages available so I think worth looking at.