Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 21:47
Super Moderator

Default "Possible" new 5* luxury hotel resort.

Had an email from a friend today, her husband had been surfing the net and found this EPGI :: Projects - Puerto Pollensa, looks interesting, what do you think?
lollipop and cherylbb like this.
Old 18-02-2013, 22:00

That looks like the land to the side of the Pollensa Park. I thought they had pulled the plug on it being built on,but who knows, they are good at changing their minds.
Sparky likes this.
Old 18-02-2013, 22:06
Super Moderator

Yes Lollipop it is beside the Polypark, that's why i said "possible", the trouble is that the hotel lobby have been on for ages about there not being enough hotels in PP. Even if it was given the green light where would the money come from?.
Old 18-02-2013, 22:34

Question

Looks ultra modern, but not sure if I really like it or not. Possibly not in keeping with the surrounding area I think more traditional would blend in to the area. They could have modern inside tho
Sparky likes this.
Old 19-02-2013, 01:08

Perhaps this is why the subject of pedestrianisation of the front has arisen again. I heard that if any developer was given the go ahead to be build on that piece of land, part of the deal was that they would fund the work of the pedestrianisation.
its cd and Sparky like this.
Old 19-02-2013, 01:11
Super Moderator

I hadn't thought of that Debz, good point .
Old 19-02-2013, 08:09

Personally I think it look awfal. However I did notice that the date on this is 2011 and I wonder if it would still be going ahead. I cannot imagine anyone investing in such a huge project with the current economical climate. The information discusses luxury residential properties and commercial properties. How many luxury properties are up for sale at the moment at sensible prices and how many commercial units are closed up in the resort. I cannot imagine the project will go forward. The prices will be very expensive so who will be able to pay for this? Sorry to be negative but I just cannot see this happening. To invest that sort of money you would want 10 to 12 months business which just will not happen unfortunatley.
Belladonna likes this.
Old 19-02-2013, 08:40

Leaving aside the possible need for a new hotel, there are plenty of people in this world with a lot of money they need to "move around" and out of their native country. A new hotel costing millions of whatever their currency is would make a lovely tax loss and they could afford to develop the land around it and get a large foothold in the district. Look no further than some premier league football club owners as examples and closer to PP, some people wandering around with 500 euro notes and no small change.
eleanor likes this.
Old 19-02-2013, 09:34

The development in Ullal has been on the cards for years. At present, there is no green light for it. Permission would depend on resolution of two things - the classification of the land (is it wetland or isn't it) and compensation for land owners who bought the land here but had development blocked by the last government. Other cases in Mallorca have meant that developments are to go ahead (Fontanelles in Playa de Palma, for example) as it would cost the government far too much to pay out compensation. Pollensa town hall effectively blocked any development last year, but this could all change. There was talk of the pedestrianisation scheme being linked to this development, but that was a proposal when the previous town hall administration was in power. As for funding, no problem at all. Who is paying for all the developments in Magalluf? Though Melia Hotels are the ones carrying them out, most of the money is foreign (much of it in fact British). The luxury development in Canyamel is mostly Middle-Eastern money. In Soller it was as well.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:16

We are used to this subject raising its head every couple of years. It is only a matter of time before something is built here. The by-pass was the first step, and the pedestrianisation discussion deals with the other side. You only need to look at the gap on the map to see its living on borrowed time unfortunately. The farmer regularly tills his field on part of the area, but perhaps he is just longing for that offer he cant refuse!

New builds in the way of either villas or low rise apartment blocks have been being built in Llenaire in a more modern structure for a few years now, so the modern look of the hotel may not be an issue for planning application anymore. The only thing holding it back is, as Andrew said, the wetland issue. I think it will be a great shame to lose this open area, and I don't think another hotel will be beneficial to the area, but money speaks!
eleanor likes this.
Old 19-02-2013, 12:31

I suspect this is an old internet site however it must surely happen sometime. The important thing for the Council is to ensure it enhances PP in terms of quality and it really should be linked to the right pedestrianisation project on the front.......unfortunately both in the hands of the local council and their planners who unfortunately have a somewhat amateurish approach to these things !! I thought the 6th picture on the website of the development was interesting is that a rather strangely overgrown swimming pool or a mermaid surveying the new project in the wetlands !!!!
its cd and Belladonna like this.
Old 19-02-2013, 19:24

This is the European Property Group International, a London based groups with projects worldwide, not sure whether this particular project is going ahead but it weould not suprise me if it does especially as their chairman is Hayden chittell.
Old 19-02-2013, 20:02

Will it be all inclusive

Looks a bit too modern and trendy.
That might look OK now but in 20 years it will be out of fashion.

Look at the Don Pedro, it was probably stylish when it was designed by the architect but not really a good design by todays standards.

Is it a prison ? - No, it's the Don Pedro Hotel boarded up for the winter by Mark G. in England, on Flickr

-

Don Pedro boarded up for the winter by Mark G. in England, on Flickr
Old 19-02-2013, 22:27

Mmmmmm even 20 years ago I remember thinking this place was horrendous
El Gordo likes this.
Old 20-02-2013, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cd View Post
Mmmmmm even 20 years ago I remember thinking this place was horrendous
Sorry to keep this "off topic" comment going but its not the design of the building its the position and the effect on the landscape. Ruined this cove in CSV as far as I'm concerned.
Ronnie and Nick like this.

My FlickR Photos