Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Flora & Fauna

Flora & Fauna Especially for the botanists and twitchers.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-09-2010, 07:01

Thanks Sparky and Thanks fll. We are in Gommar and apparently this horrid little beetle is having a wonderful feast on many of the trees in our area. I thought we would be ok as there isn't another palm close to us. I suppose they have one who flies around and spots then tells all his mates and then thats the end of that! We really are very sad about this. It went from being a beautiful tree to very dead in a very short time!

I do hope that your trees will be ok, fil, and you find them fit and well on your return.

Last edited by eleanor; 20-09-2010 at 07:31. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 20-09-2010, 08:58

Oh eleanor I'm so sorry to hear you've lost your beautiful palm tree...you must feel devastated.

It really is upsetting to see the number of trees that have been 'got' by this horrid bug. I've noticed a lot more dead or dying trees this visit. is there nothing that can be done to try and eradicate the little ******?
Old 20-09-2010, 10:56

Thanks Debz. I think any treatment is too late in coming. We thought we had done all we could to safe guard ourselves but this little rotter has a very tough mind!

Still trying to get ideas for quotes if anyone has any hints? Can't find Llevant as suggested way back in a previous post - anyone know of them?

Would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by eleanor; 20-09-2010 at 12:47.
Old 20-09-2010, 20:37

Still keeping fingers crossed for your tree eleanor. The one outside our apartment has been cut down today, although some of it has been left so I'm not sure if they are hoping that it will regenerate or some other miracle of nature! After all the fronds were cut off, they then donned masks and sprayed everything that had been cut down - I avoided walking that way for a while!
Old 20-09-2010, 20:43

No with much regret Bella, ours is very very dead and needs to go. It has been looked at and the blasted things have got right to the heart. It's now just falling apart in bits.

So very upsetting. Haven't had any suggestions on who maybe able to do the deed yet in having it removed. I can't understand why it can't just be burnt. I suppose there must be a good reason.

Anyway you have my permission to uncross your fingers now as it won't do any good - neither did praying to the 'palm tree God' ! lol
Old 21-09-2010, 11:31
Banned

This is indeed very sad. Trees play a big part in nature/environment.

There are qite a few missing from round the square. I can't understand why they are not replaced by the council?

I know it must be expensive and the fact they take a long time to mature but so what? They are an integral part of Mallorcan life and the square certainly needs tidying up. The money must be made available.
Old 21-09-2010, 11:58
Super Moderator

I suppose that while these bugs are still present it would be pointless replacing the trees as these too could be attacked, it is tragic for the environment when trees die on this scale.
Old 21-09-2010, 13:18

I agree Sparky,and the ones that they capped in an effort to save them seem to be dying now.
Old 21-09-2010, 18:47
Under Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
Please do take a look at my beautiful tree! Tonight is a very sad night as this 80 year old beautie has died. We thought we had got away with with it and were lucky. We treated the tree well and loved it. The pool was put in around the tree. The ghastly horrid little blighters have killed it!

We now have the problem of having it cut down and disposed of. We would obviously like to do this as cheaply as possible and wonder if anyone has any names for me to approach for quotes. A previous post recommend Llevant (?) but I can find no reference to them. Any help would be appreciated.

RIP my beautiful tree!
This is very sad. What a shame. Perhaps a new tree can replace it.
Old 21-09-2010, 20:24

It is sad Kym. It really isn't as simple as just replacing it with a new tree. Our palm was over 80 years old and was beautiful. The pool was built around the tree. I would worry replacing with another palm at the moment due to the beetle. Certainly we couldn't find one the size of our dead one and a small one would not have the same effect. I wonder what we could replace it with? - Just not the same!
Old 26-09-2010, 20:13

Have heard that many of the new trees planted in Palma have now been attacked too. This beetle needs to understand that it is just not wanted!!
Old 27-09-2010, 08:59

...and how dare they make you change your avatar too!! The garden centres will be having a field day with everyone looking for replacements.
Old 27-09-2010, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
...and how dare they make you change your avatar too!! The garden centres will be having a field day with everyone looking for replacements.
Well Bella -I just had to as every time I posted I was rubbing the salt into the wound lol. Thought it best to just have a nice cocktail instead!

Dear husband - always the designer with 'brilliant'???? ideas now thinks he will design and have built his own palm tree made from metal. Can also double as a sun screen and ................yawn yawn lol
Can your imagine these all over Mallorca? It will look like the UFO's have landed!
Old 27-09-2010, 12:36

Default Dying palm trees

There used to be a huge palm tree right next door to our apts, but it looked as if it was ours, sadly it's gone! At least i now have a uninterupted view of the mountains, every cloud as they say!

Over the last decade or so, between the pine trees lost during various storms and now the tradgedy of the palm trees, PP has had a tough time.
Old 27-09-2010, 14:24

We do get so attached to seeing trees don't we? They have been there longer than we have usually, and it seems so sad the change they make when they are gone. Hopefully the council will replace them - and not with lamp posts please!!