Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Flora & Fauna

Flora & Fauna Especially for the botanists and twitchers.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 20:35

Default Dying palm trees

Local council has finally got round to holding an urgent public meeting on the problem and then a get together of all the local 'tree experts' in order to try to tackle this. If they don't sort it out they reckon that within 5 years all the palms in Pollenca and its surrounds will be dead.Disatre.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-02-2010, 10:11

Article in the Bulletin last week that those trees where the beetles have not yet attacked can be saved - I will post details when on terra firma. Problem would appear to be that it costs 300 euro per tree to treat wheras a new very small palm costs in the order of 50 euro.
Old 24-02-2010, 10:27

Thats good news. I expect the first ones to be treated should be along the coast road as they have only been up a couple of years and must have cost a fortune to buy large in the first place!
Old 24-02-2010, 10:42

It appears that a LOT of the trees are already infected. At a meeting in the church hall on 06/02 details of the pesticides available were provided. Reputable gardeners/firms have now been provided with a certificate which indicates they are trained in the use of the chemicals and the treatment. Unfortunately the treatment is lengthy and expensive (although removal of a dead tree costs 140 euro per ton if done 'legaly') and treatment at the moment is just not happening. The current indication is that if treatment does not occur then ALL of the island's palm trees will be dead in the next 5 years.
Old 24-02-2010, 10:48

Oh SP< you build us up then knock us back down again! Back to the fingers being crossed then!
Old 24-02-2010, 12:56

Come on PP! Get the finger out! Get it sorted!
Old 24-02-2010, 15:27

Oh -I thought we had got away with it as we were told that our 80 year old tree was ok and not to worry!

To think when we bought our villa, we were offered 8000 euros by a garden centre just outside PP for our tree. Seems that was the going rate......then! Someone building up in the mountains had seen our tree and wanted it!

How stupid were we??
Old 24-02-2010, 15:46

NO! But if it does survive, it will be worth so much more now! The drinks will definately be on you then!
Old 24-02-2010, 15:48

You bet! - what a good reason not to sell lol
Old 24-02-2010, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
Oh -I thought we had got away with it as we were told that our 80 year old tree was ok and not to worry!
Depends who told you! If you have any doubt you should consult with one of the 'experts' - the town hall has a list. If a tree is still healthy the recommendation is a year long dosage of the pesticide on a monthly basis. The reason an expert is needed is that the pesticide has to be pumped into the crown - a tree like yours is bound to be too tall for easy access to the topmost fronds. Unfortunately the best time to treat is in a dry period ~ not like the recent rainy period.

Values have gone down a bit as a fully mature tree will cost around 3,000 euro. It is worth you having inspected as a dead tree must be reported and disposed of. It must be cut into chunks and quartered and the chunks bagged and dosed with pesticide. To dispose of a dead tree is costing in the region of 400 > 500 euro.
Old 24-02-2010, 17:23

Oh - this is awful news. I suppose my tree is about five and half metres high and about a metre in diameter. So will take some doing!
There are no other palms anywhere near to us so perhaps that may help. Can't just chop down then and leave by the rubbish bin lol - may just be noticed! ( I WAS joking!)
I'm not really sure what to do as we had someone visit via our housekeeper when this was first mentioned and to be honest I haven't given much thought to it since.

You say values have gone done SP - but who will pay me 3000 Euros for a tree with a potential problem? (Phone numbers on a postage stamp please!)

I suppose i need to contact the town hall and get the list of approved 'palm tree doctors'. 300 Euros to save a tree - anyone know a green issue charity?
Joking aside - I am upset to hear this not just for my poor old tree but also for all the palms. - wish I had taken the 8000!!
Old 24-02-2010, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Come on PP! Get the finger out! Get it sorted!
Agree Smiddy, loss of these trees will affect the whole town ,tourism will suffer and it wil be a downward spiral. Same applies to the pine trees - they ar PP's trademark.

Adios

Dave
Old 24-02-2010, 20:23
Banned

Blimey Eleanor.........you were offered 8,000 euros for a tree??............I'm no horticultural expert but I know about the value of money and would have bitten someone's hand off at that price !!!!

You could have bought a sapling and it would have been quite tall now !!!
Old 24-02-2010, 20:30

I know - how stupid! We were worried at the time as we felt perhaps the roots were under the pool and moving the tree may have cost us much more than the 8000 euros. That was the only reason we didn't go for it.

I would love to be able to travel in time - how different life would be!
Old 01-03-2010, 15:29

Unhappy Palms

I have heard that by capping the palms the strong grow back, the weak ( infected) die. These then have to be INCINERATED in palma or buried at least a meter down. I see last week in the square they had started capping the palms!