Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Flora & Fauna

Flora & Fauna Especially for the botanists and twitchers.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-12-2011, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
The town hall has begun destroying 80 palms which have not been affected by the beetle that has decimated so many trees . Even trees on private land that has been affected will have to be destroyed and owners will have 10 days from being issued with an order, to comply or they will be fined up to 2,500€ and be denounced to the environment ministry .
This was posted on their website today Notícia.
It is a PRIVATE land. PRIVATE land is the meaning that OWNER has a right to have a decision about PRIVATE trees. I think it is possible to find a law regarding it.

>Even trees on private land that has been affected will have to be destroyed and >owners will have 10 days from being issued with an order, to comply or they will be >fined up to 2,500€ and be denounced to the environment ministry
Sponsored Links
Old 14-12-2011, 10:06

I understand only too well where you are coming from here Catalina and normally I would be the first to stand up for the rights of ownership.

BUT - last years we lost our most beautiful palm tree which was over 80 years old. It was lovely and had been well cared for over the years. It was our one and only palm. We had it checked and cut back early summer to help ensure its future - it really did look a picture. Within just a few weeks it was gone! It was a short but devastating death. The beetle attacked very quickly and destroyed the tree. There was nothing we could do but to have the tree disposed of. This cost an awful amount of money too.

The problem with these horrid beetles is that they are hard to destroy and they manage to visit other palm trees over vast distances. They get around very quickly and they attack without thought to the beauty they will be destroying. Once the beetle does attack there is little that can be done but remove the tree. I believe it is one of the only ways of beating the beetle. If the tree isn't removed then the beetle is free to fly on to another tree and this it will do.

It is very sad and certainly we miss our tree. I was angry as well as upset but now I realise that to save other palms then infected trees do need to be removed quickly. The problem is that not everyone will do so without force. I hate the thought of anyone telling someone else what to do with their own private property but I see no answer. I do believe the cost of removal is very much an issue though.
Old 14-12-2011, 12:53

Eleanor, I do agree with you. Unfortunately it is the only way to make some irresponsible owners help curtail this awful plague.
Old 14-12-2011, 19:52

This beetle has declared war and with regret seems to be winning. Perhaps the powers that be think the only way forward is to take a tough line by hitting peoples pockets. We have had a couple of years fighting this and anyone with a palm knows that they are at risk and should take responsibility.
Old 15-12-2011, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
I understand only too well where you are coming from here Catalina and normally I would be the first to stand up for the rights of ownership.

BUT - last years we lost our most beautiful palm tree which was over 80 years old. It was lovely and had been well cared for over the years. It was our one and only palm. We had it checked and cut back early summer to help ensure its future - it really did look a picture. Within just a few weeks it was gone! It was a short but devastating death. The beetle attacked very quickly and destroyed the tree. There was nothing we could do but to have the tree disposed of. This cost an awful amount of money too.

The problem with these horrid beetles is that they are hard to destroy and they manage to visit other palm trees over vast distances. They get around very quickly and they attack without thought to the beauty they will be destroying. Once the beetle does attack there is little that can be done but remove the tree. I believe it is one of the only ways of beating the beetle. If the tree isn't removed then the beetle is free to fly on to another tree and this it will do.

It is very sad and certainly we miss our tree. I was angry as well as upset but now I realise that to save other palms then infected trees do need to be removed quickly. The problem is that not everyone will do so without force. I hate the thought of anyone telling someone else what to do with their own private property but I see no answer. I do believe the cost of removal is very much an issue though.
It is so sad, dear Eleanor that you have lost your beautiful tree.

Best wishes,
Catalina
Old 22-04-2013, 11:07
Super Moderator

Dare we hope that we are winning the war against these horrible creatures, from todays UH, translated by Google here :- Más de 5.100 palmeras han sido afectadas por el picudo rojo en Mallorca » Local » Noticias » Ultima Hora Mallorca

The red palm weevil has already affected more than 5,100 palm trees in Mallorca, exactly 5,108 until March 25, according to data released by the Ministry of Environment. Of these, 95% have had to be cut, as the applied treatment to eradicate this pest have not yielded the expected results and have not been able to save these copies. So, in just over seven years the island has lost about 4,852 palms.
The red palm weevil DETECO first in Mallorca in 2006, particularly in fields and from there has spread to the entire island by municipalities, those with a greater number of infected palms are Palma (1651), Pollença (848) and Llucmajor (774). On the opposite side are Capdepera, Deia, Fornalutx and Lloseta which fortunately has not affected any palm.
Improvement in 2013
The year 2012 was the most tragic, as the red palm weevil attacked 2,437 palms. Note that this plague reached as Sóller municipalities, which were not affected.
Since 2006, when detected 12 affected individuals, this pest has increased to reach its highest disease rate in 2012. However, in the first months of 2013 there was a downward trend since January-March 310 were detected palms affected, which is about 100 a month compared to an average of 200 per month in 2012.
This improvement in the control of the pest was detected in 2013 could be due to the action plan that has implemented the Regional Ministry of Agriculture begins to show results. The main difference is that this disease has been treated individually and focused to do together and covering the entire island, and that the spread of this pest is very fast. This implies that Mallorca is considered as a single zone, subject to regulatory restrictions in relation to the movement of palms
One of the main goals has been to stop the spread of red palm weevil, so has reinforced the action plan in municipalities that have not been affected by the plague, as well as those which have a lower incidence.
palm detection affected is one of the keys to this plan. Therefore, the Directorate General of Rural Medi i Marí periodic surveys performed in both the pest-free zones such as those affected. The cooperation of citizens is also very important and anyone can notify the presence of palms affected by calling 971176666/647348894, as well as e-mail sanitatvegetal@dgagric.caib.es. The ayuntaientos staff also does an important job to detect affected palms.
The owners of the palms are responsible for eliminating the plague. Those found in buffer zone (Alcúdia, Pollensa, Palma Bay and south-central east of Mallorca) have 7 days to clear the parties concerned; disclaims paying incineration rates.

The Department also conducts massive red palm weevil catches by trapping, among other actions.
Old 15-05-2016, 09:47
Super Moderator

I know this is an old thread but i thought i would update you on the situation as it stands now, here is a link to an MDB report :- Palm beetle has affected 11,000 trees since 2006 » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin.
mike_dublin likes this.