Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-08-2005, 07:18
dolgoed

Default Excess Baggage

Just returned home and for the first time in 4 years we had to pay an excess for being over weight with easy jet (Liverpool). No excess charges required by First Choice on the homeward journey to Manchester though be warned!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 30-08-2005, 21:34
Rosie10

Hi
As someone who is to shopping - what Jane is to wine, have to admit I've escaped charges most times, (sweaty palms when the cases are being checked in, trying to decide if I faint will it be enough of a diversion?).
My daughter was incredibly proud of me when on a long weekend shopping trip to Madrid I managed to acquire an extra 15kgs (& unfortunately had to pay BA for it).
Excess is just a way of making money for the airlines though as the body weight of passengers varies so much - there must be a huge safety margin, say between a party of 150 schoolchildren and 150 rugby players.
I always feel I should have an extra allowance nowadays - as 3 yrs ago I lost nearly 3 stone (Atkins, yes & kept it off!)
Old 30-08-2005, 22:27
robjay

I hope to hell noone from the airline we use reads the following....................... When I go to PP I enjoy going into the mountains (for those of you who haven't noticed:lol ). now to do this safely I need to bring along my "Gear". Now when it comes to packing my case first in are my treking poles (pretty light weight ). I use "Technical" T-shirts which double for use on the beach and in the streets (they are expensive but super lightweight and so cool to wear) as well as in the mountains, the same can't be said for my trousers altough "Technical" they are not the things to be seen in down the beach etc the same goes for my socks ( no it's not cool to wear socks under your sandels!),and my waterproof jacket (it came in handy 2 weeks ago on Saturday ). now as for my boots, well folks their not quite as light as your average pair of flipflops more like half your hand luggage weight limit:rollin .

Now here's the dilema, to take my "gear" what do I leave out?. First time out I had all my gear and everything I needed for the holiday with me, my hand luggage (My rucksack) was twice over the limit and my case was just over as well!:eek .

The solution. I got changed into my Gear!. Hand luggage now within the weight limits:eek and I could board! with no excess bagage to pay!!!!:lol .

Now I just arrive at the ticket desk dressed to climb the Alps, get daft looks from everybody and then I'm off to departure lounge where I change into the lightweight stuff which is in my hand luggage come rucksack and my gear goes into the rucksack.

Now tell me this isn't daft!. It doesn't matter how heavy the clothes you have on are it's how heavy your bags are!. then after Duty free shopping on the way back you get to carry on any amount of weight in bottles etc etc etc.

Have I given you any new ideas in how to carry on your purchases Rosie10?:rollin ::rollin :rollin .

Next time you see an Artic explorer in Palma airport say Hola to me:rollin :rollin :rollin

Rob
Old 30-08-2005, 23:26
PennyWhite

Default Excess Baggage

We had to pay excess baggage for the first time ever going to Majorca with Easyjet from Liverpool... I believe there are some new baggage restrictions that have come into force, they are certainly stricter than in the past.
Left lots of toiletry bottles when we returned and got away with it!
Old 30-08-2005, 23:55
Rosie10

Hi Rob
Sounds like 'big pants' for me from now on!
Old 31-08-2005, 00:33
robjay

We'll be a right pair, you in your big pants and me in my big boots.

Rob
Old 31-08-2005, 22:18
Roy and Katie

I think the airlines are just trying to compensate for the high fuel costs, which to Easyjet's credit they haven't passed on to the customer like most of the other airlines.

It is noticable that prices have gone up significantly for future flights.
Old 01-09-2005, 00:24
Chiara19

Got charged £20 for being 5 kilos over on the way out - under on the way back despite several bottles of wine & stuff.
Hint - on easyjet ladies can carry a handbag as well as a reasonably sized rucksack (no weight limit) - hey who is going to dictate to me how big my handbag is!
Laptops are also permitted as extra and it's amazing what you can cram in a laptop bag - besides your laptop.
Most of the vino was in my husband's holdall - he also had the laptop. I had the humunguous beachbag containing my college stuff (and the naughty scissors) and the boys had sizeable bags each too.

My friend Lynn has it down to a fine art - they go to Florida every summer - she packs old clothes, nightwear and towels - which she chucks at the end of the hols having brought new clothes to come home in. They always have at least 10 kg spare for the goodies they've bought because of the washing powder & toiletries they leave behind. I'll try harder next year - lets face it you can get most of what you need locally anyway.