Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Entertainment in Pollensa & Majorca

Entertainment in Pollensa & Majorca Nights out, discos, music bars, cinema, theatre ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 19:49

Default BULLFIGHTING

A bit of a controversial topic and perhaps it shouldnt be in the the Entertainment section, but here goes.
In the Majorca paper today there is a section regarding areas that have bullfights in Spain and suggesting that tourists visit designated areas that are bullfight free. It states that a large percentage of Spanish do not like or go to bullfights (78%) and that income from it has dropped. Check out the write up for a fuller account. What interests me is why this has happened, and is it infact true. There is a huge history obviously of bullfighting in Spain and I cant see that it is ever going to decline for the Spanish. Tourists mainly do not go to bull fights obviously, I have been to a mock one with a baby bull in the ring in Alcudia, which had a long table and people sitting around it. i found that quite entertaining in a way, but tinged with an uncomfortable feeling that this bull was being groomed for the real thing. But that is part of spanish life and is it any more cruel that our fox hunting etc? :\
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2006, 21:19

Hi Belladonna,

I've only just noticed this post and it interested me because when I was 12 I went to a bull-fight on mainland Spain with my parents.

It was certainly an experience but my mum and I found it very upsetting and I remember being terrified that one of the horses would get gored.

I really don't know enough about the tradition to write knowledgably about it, but in one way, I did see it as a chance for the bull to fight back. Despite it being cruel, there was a beauty to the way the matadors handled the huge animal and the crowd were very angry when one bull was not killed "cleanly" with the one fatal blow to the neck.

I don't wish to start a controversial thread (heaven knows we've had enough of those lately!), but I do think a country's long-standing traditions should be respected. I would not go to one again, but if that's what the Spanish do, then fine.

Just my thoughts!
Jane
Old 10-07-2006, 04:17

I tend to agree Jane, it doesnt sit well with our English sensitivity, but they have so much history to it and museums etc that I dont think it is our right to try to stop it. As we have both said, it is controversial and we all know everyones feelings, but it was the number of Spanish that are now not going that surprised me. However, you can do anything with numbers and if they took the percentage from city dwellers rather than the outlying towns, then of course it would be high. thanks for your views Jane, appreciated.
Old 10-07-2006, 22:55

I'm inclined to agree with you both. I don't think I'll ever want to watch a bullfight myself, but I would support the Spanish wholeheartedly as its their culture and history. The only people who are in a position to raise objections are the Spanish themselves.