Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fil6699
  • 1 Post By Bails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 18:59

Default Warning Triangles and Fluorescent Jackets

Over the past few years we have used many car hire firms in Mallorca some of which provide this equipment to be used in the case of breakdown or changing a vehicle tyre and some that don't. Where possible I have insisted on the car hire firm providing the equipment but it hasn't always been available. I had thought that it was an offence not to carry this equipment and made this point to the staff at Record Car Hire in Palma today. They insisted that it was not an offence if you are in a car hire vehicle which from a safety perspective seems a load of nonsense. Can anyone enlighten me on what the definitive position is on the carrying of this equipment.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 19:23
Super Moderator

Not sure but there is some useful info here Bails Driving in Spain, speed limits in Spain, driving laws in Spain, Spanish motoring rules and regulations.
Old 05-03-2012, 19:47

Default Car hire safety equipment

Yes Bails, that is one of the reasons why I have stopped using Record now. I had used them for many years before.

When one of their hire cars broke down, I was put in a dangerous situation and very nearly got into trouble with the Guardia Civil for not having a yellow jacket in the car and also warning triangle to warn traffic that the car had broken down.

When I queried the situation with Record, they responded by saying that I could always hire this safety equipment for an extra charge from them! So another hidden charge really. Since then, I've just opted to hire from different companies that do have this equipment in their cars as standard.
Old 05-03-2012, 21:21

When we bought our car we were told that the Triangle and jacket MUST be in the car at all times and when it goes in for its MOT or the equivalent here.If they are not in the car it will fail. As the equipment is mandatory to the car being legal to drive on the roads in Spain. So I cannot see for a second why Hire cars would not have them in. Sounds to me like the equipment has gone missing and they cannot be bothered to replace it. I personally would demand they put it in before taking the car. Beats having to try and explain to the Guardia, who may not be in a mood to listen and it would be you who gets the fine. Or worse still find yourself in a dangerous position at the side of a road. The triangle is recognized by all drivers in Spain and when they see it on the road know to be aware a car ahead has a problem. Demand they put it in or change the car to one that is Legal to drive on the roads.
JMD40 and phil like this.
Old 05-03-2012, 22:28

Thanks for the responses. In the information provided by Sparky there is clearly no distinction between a hire vehicle and a privately registered vehicle - as I would have expected really. I agree that the items should be demanded at the point of accepting the vehicle but sometimes it can be overlooked. I suspect that most hirers are more concerned to check the external panels of the vehicle for damage rather than the boot for these items of equipment. In future I will probably bring the items over with me. I don't usually use Record as I dislike their full/empty fuel policy but on this occasion I booked via Holiday Autos (5 weeks for £118 is rather reasonable) and they subcontracted to Record as the local dealer.
Sparky likes this.
Old 06-03-2012, 16:54

I worked closely with a car hire company when the law came in and queried why they didn´t provide the jackets and triangles. The answer that came back was that so many go missing (stolen), it would be cheaper for the car company to pay a fine if they got one than to keep replacing the equipment. However if clients were to demand then the items would be provided at no extra cost..