Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Maxim's in the Square - PP (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/970-maxims-square-pp.html)

JH02JLH 06-09-2005 05:14

Maxim's in the Square - PP

I had heard quite a bit about Maxim's in the square so we decided to eat there after our drink at the Forum Get-Together at Pascalino's.

To say it was busy is an understatement and anyone looking for a a quiet romantic meal should look elsewhere!

We managed to get a table very close to the entrance and we were kept cool by the constant rushing of the waiters who all looked pretty hassled.

We made do with the bread and olives as a starter (more on this topic later - GOW might raise her head) and I chose the lamb stuffed with pate and prunes while hubby went for the shoulder of lamb.

The children chose from the kids menu and we hardly saw them all night as they played with the others in the square.

My main course was surprisingly good and tasted delicious with really pronounced flavours. It arrived with saute potatoes and vegetables and hubby said his lamb was great but was slightly undercooked. He likes it to fall off the bone with tenderness but he enjoyed it nonetheless.

We skipped dessert and wine :\ and the bill, when it finally arrrived after three requests, came to 52 euros.

We went to Maxim's again during the following week after a very enjoyable drink with Debz and Chelseadons and their family. So enjoyable was the drink that we didn't leave Bony's until 10.45pm and quickly made our way to Maxim's again to be met with a very disgruntled waiter who was not pleased about the late hour.

We were made to choose very quickly (!) and this time I chose the chicken breast in a mushroom sauce while hubby went for duck. Both meals were very good and my chicken was very tender and moist.

I enjoyed the food at Maxim's but the waiters were not the friendliest I have ever met and looked hassled all the time. If you don't mind this then it is a great place to eat, especially with young children.

Jane:D

steve 09-09-2005 01:40

Have to agree Jane, the food here really is as good as any in the Port, (I had sea bass this year and it was superb), but the service is just appalling.

We normally eat here at least once a visit, and it's always the same.

The lad that runs it, (largeish chap, late twenties, early thirties with big glasses) normally serves us and when he does, we always have a chat about Mallorcan Wine. He really knows his stuff, and along with Stay was, I think, the first restaurant to serve the excellent Herederos de Ribas, (now also available at El Posito's). This year he recommended a dry white from Penedes, that I'd never heard of, and it was absolutely fantastic - but they do rush you.

It seems impossible to just order the wine and sip it for a while without being continually pesterd to order. And once you have placed your order, the food seems to arrive in double quick time, with very little space between coures. But, as I say in fairness, the food is first class. The other complaint, which you have commented on is the fact that all the staff seem so grumpy, although they are particuarly busy when we seem to go, normally July time.

Such a shame, because I think it's a great place to eat, great location and food and very reasonably priced. It would be very interesting to know if people experience the same problems at other times of the year, when the Square isn't heaving with tourists, because I understand it's one of the few places in the middle of town to stay open all year.

JH02JLH 09-09-2005 03:02

Thanks for your reply, Steve. It was interesting to note that you felt the same as us.

It really was a surprise when the food arrived and it was so good!

I would also like to know whether the staff are the same in quieter months because if they're not then it must be a real treasure to go to when the rest of PP is shut up!

Jane:D

Jimsboy 09-09-2005 03:34

Hiya,

The couple running Maxim's Restaurant are the same couple who ran Bony's Bar before Jose.

We have always found that there is a great difference in service and tempo between our June and October visits.
Although the weather is not as reliable duringOctober,of course, the pace of PP is more relaxed and it makes it a lot easier to chat to the staff. This particular young couple is, I believe, originally from Venezuela, and are very nice to chat to, when they have the time. The food is always pretty good.

If you ever get the chance, try eating there on a lazy, dreamy October sunday lunchtime and, perhaps, tell them you are in great hurry. I'm sure you will enjoy the difference.

Brian.

Jimsboy 09-09-2005 03:40

Oops. Ileft word out there, didn't I. The last line should read, "....in NO great hurry" .

Sorry. I got carried away thinking of PP.

Brian.

Sara4 09-09-2005 18:13

We've eaten here the last couple of years but this year made the mistake of trying to eat in the evening - never again!

Lunch times are great but we decided to give it a go one evening. We arrived to find it was full but was told by the 'largeish chap' that we wouldn't have to wait long. Just a couple in front and then the six of us. The couple got a table almost straight away and we were waiting for nearly half an hour. In the meantime, I nipped to the loo to find it blocked and with no running water to wash hands - not very hygenic. I let the guy know and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that they knew! Just as a table became free another waitress swiftly moved another party of six onto the table. To say we were annoyed is an understatement. We asked the boss what was going on and he shrugged his shoulders again - he really couldn't be bothered! So my husband gave him a piece of his mind (eek!) and we went to Tiberi and as usual - Joan was helpful, accomodating and really pleased to see us!
Maxims might be busy now but they have to realise that there are too many restaurants in the port for them to be ignorant and off with customers. Somebody else pointed out about toilets in July and also June - so you think that they should be able to sort themselves out.

I would go again for lunch but definitely not for evening.

pinot g 09-09-2005 22:18

Hi Sara
I totally agree with what you say about Maxims. It was me who posted about the toilets previously. We ate there in June and July but never again. Nobody seemed to care that the toilets were in such a state we got the same response as you.. In June I thought it was a temporary blockage, but to see it still blocked the next month was appalling. If I had seen the loos before I ordered we would never have stayed to eat. It makes you wonder what the kitchens are like when they care so little about something as important as toilet hygiene.
The food was fine but the staff are very rushed and not at all friendly. The waitress we had was quite rude, especially when we pointed out we had been overcharged by 25 euros.
As you say there are so many lovely restaurants to choose from in delightful settings with lovely staff and relaxing atmospheres. There is no need to put up with the service or lack of sanitation in Maxims.

My particular favourite is C an Cuarassa each time we visit the standard of food, service and atmosphere is superb.Maybe the staff at Maxims should treat themselves to a night out there and see how it should be done !!

Portofan 10-09-2005 01:08

RE:Maxims in the Square

Hi Sara and Pinot g!

The people who run establishments giving diners the experiences you have had need to be told there and then that their actions are totally unacceptable and I was most pleased to hear of your husband voicing his feelings Sara.

The toilet situation is absolutely disgusting and should perhaps be reported to the Local Authority. I personally find shoulder shrugging at a complaint like that of the toilet likely to bring an extremly hostile response from me and maybe everyone should be the same!!

Correct me someone if I am wrong but are not restaurants and bars in Spain required by law to provide a Complaints Book wherein a customer can record fully their complaint and that this is available for inspection by the equivalent of what in the UK would be Trading Standards Department of the Local Authority.

If each of us recorded our complaint would not facilities and service improve.

And sorry!!

No Smileys tonight!!

pinot g 10-09-2005 01:09

Re: RE:Maxims in the Square

Hi Portofan

It was interesting to hear of the complaint book, maybe we should ask to filll it in as you suggest and restaurants would work hard at keeping up standards, although most of the restaurants in the area are excellent. When we receive good service its lovely to make an entry in the guest book, I ll have to start being bolder when service isnt so good!
It will be interesting to see Maxims when we go back in October, although I dont think I ll be brave enough to venture into the loo !!

pops 10-09-2005 02:36

Re: RE:Maxims in the Square

We have eaten in Maxims for years, we used to eat there alot during our visits but now its ususally just once. The food has always been of a really high standard, but I really feel they are missing Claudia, the lady who had run it for years. Maxims also own the pizza resrurant on the corner, and Claudia is now running that restaurant, while her hubby is in charge of Maxims.

I had always found the staff very unfriendly at Maxims until a couple of years ago. But find them fine now, however so many people have commented on their rudeness.

On the subject of the loos, Claudia would never have allowed that to happen, its a shame she isn't working there at the moment. Hopefully she'll come back.

blondie 11-09-2005 01:58

Maxims.....

It is a shame that so many people have bad service in Maxims, after all it is about the whole experience not just the food when we eat out.
I know that the congregation at St Andrews in the square used to meet in Maxims after the service on a Sunday for years, they now meet elsewhere, I wonder why?
I love PP and always will, but I have noticed how rude some of the staff are in restaraunts and bars these days, it may well be worth their remembering how they have made all their money over the last 30/40 years.
It has been very quiet this summer, maybe people are going to other places, the Mallorcans should remember that people will only put up with so much when they are paying out their hard earned cash.
Still, there are still wonderfull places in PP, where the service is super, liike Can Cuarassa. The service there is tip top as Pinot g reminded me, in :rollin fact I think I will ring and book a table, I may even take Mallorcaboy with me.

Portofan 11-09-2005 15:50

Maxims

Hi Blondie!

Interesting comments about the waiters and attitudes. They wont sort it if we don't tell them. Wonder what would happen if everyone of us displeased with the service posted in their complaints book or spoke to the manager/owner at the time.

As you said we pay their wages.

Or call the waiter over when paid up and tell why there is no tip. But perhaps a few well chosen words in their own language but not many of us could do that!

And as you leave a final shot to the waiter.
"Here is a tip for you. Don't stand up in a canoe!!"

Sara4 12-09-2005 17:29

Re: Maxims

Interesting that a few of us have had similar experiences here!

I noticed that the lady from Maxims was at the pizzeria on the corner but I just assumed that she had moved on - I didn't realise that it was also owned by the same people. Maybe if they realise how disappointed people were by maxims this year then they might bring her back over!

Shame but as we have all said, there are plenty of other great places who will greet you a smile, good service and serve good food as well!

BonysLad 12-09-2005 22:38

Re Maxims

Claudia and Marcello are actually from Montevideo in Uruguay. They ran Bonys for a few years and then took the lease on Maxims. Maxims before this was a fairly cheap family style restaurant where you could get meal of the day well into the evening for about 900 pesetas.

They did it up and imported one of the best chefs in the port. Very soon after taking over they acquired the lease on the pizza place on the corner which I suspect was to prevent the competition getting a foothold into their new restaurant. They are both very determined business people and I'm surprised they've let the toilets get in the state that is described. Must be honest and say don't like either place much in the summer cos the service is not friendly. Jane, we tried to join friends finishing a meal at c 10.30 in Maxims outside in the square for a coffee and liquer with them and were more or less told to go to Bonys !!!!!!

It's just about OK for a quiet Sunday lunch April/ May/Oct sitting outside when the square is quiet but only
OK compared with somewhere like the terrace at the Galleon overlooking the beach. Don't really see the attraction of al fresco eating in the square at the height of the season hence my review passim on Os Cachelos and the direction they are taking that.

You'd be interested to know that BonyLadette will not frequent either place cos every morning when Claudia walks to work with her mum (imported baby sitter from Uruguay) and their baby child in a pushchair beneath our balcony she never kisses the child goodbye. Unforgivable in her book but it's strange what somefolk judge by.

Do you think Gordon Ramsey kisses his missus on the way out?

BonysLad :eek :eek

pops 13-09-2005 02:44

Re: Re Maxims

Surprised to hear that about Claudia and her baby. I know she was heartbroken when he was very small and she had to leave him. Hopefully she kisses him before they leave the house and doesn't like to make to much fuss when leaving him so as not to upset him or herself.

I would highly recommend Maxims at christmas time. Not too busy and much better service.