Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 17:54

Default Trip report 18th-28th October

Had a lovely 10 days in Puerto Pollensa, this year we stayed in Cala San Vicente but had a car so drove about a fair bit. Couldn't believe the weather, was beautifully warm most days, even hot on occasions, only had rain twice (tho heavy) but was considerably cooler at night and windy sometimes as well which made sitting out less enjoyable.
Day 1 18th straight to Stay and had MDD at 33 euros pp. I have forgotten what my starter was, my husband had fish soup, he had pork in curry sauce with rice for main, I had mixed meat kebab with potato dauphinoise and vegetables, then pudding was a white chocolate bombe affair. All delicious, with bottle of wine, water, coffee and chocolates, all the usual little extras like the amuse bouche, the little crsipy bread things with oil and the liquer.
A great start.
I tried to be organised and keep all receipts etc but sadly seem to have mislaid some so will have to rely on memory for some nights.
Day 2 19th Little Italy, Rigatoni for me, Pizza Salami for husband, shared Tarte Tatin for pudding, bottle of wine then another single glass of wine, total 44.70 euros. Good food as usual, obviously a lot less busy than earlier in the season so not as 'rushed' as it can be there sometimes. Great place to watch the sun go down, really like it there.
Day 3 20th went to the market and bought some fruit and salad stuff and had lunch in the apartment Went to the Illa D'or for a cocktail then Guru where I had lobster ravioli, husband a pizza, plus usual bottle of wine and water. Can't find the receipt so can't remember the cost. It was pretty quiet but still warm enough to sit outside.Wandered round and finished up at the Miramar for nightcaps/coffees. Top of my list for places to go people-watching.
Day 4 21st El Casinet for more pizza....Pizza Salami, Pizza Diavolo, bottle of wine, bottle of water, a coffee and a single glass of wine, total 47.79 euros. Hadn't been here before but wanted to try a couple of new places, good friendly service, tasty food, clean and modern, would go again.
Day 5 22nd[/B]Bar Coral, first time have ever sat inside here and it was very cosy. Having read a bad review of Coral on here recently which astonished me, I can say that in my opinion it was as good as ever. Yes, you have to wait a while for your food when it's really busy, but that doesn't bother me as it just means more time to eat the bread and allioli which to me is the best in Pollensa...we were seated by the piano in the corner which had some old family photographs on it in frames, Aina's father and daughter Christina who looks so like Aina I thought it was Aina as a child! The whole place just has a lovely cosy, welcoming, family feel, one of my favourite places to eat.
so, food was bread and olives, chicken and tumbet for me, chicken in peppercorn sauce for husband, with chips, baked apple and ice-cream and 2 bottles of wine, eek!!! total 57.40 euros.
Day 6 23rd decided to have a lunch today and try somewhere the other side of the roundabout as we always seem to gravitate down to the Pine Walk end. Went to Tolo's after reading good reports...friendly, good service, clean, a lot bigger than you think when you look right inside. It was another hot day so we sat outside and had 2 large and 1 small beer, a tuna salad and avocado and prawns. nicely presented, fresh tasty salad, total 26.46 euros. Think we stayed in that night and finished off our supermarket stocks.
Day 7 24th can't find any receipts for this date so think this might have been the day we went driving about to Valdemossa and Puerto Andratx, we had lunch at the Cappuccino cafe in Andratx where the food and service are always excellent tho pricey..then to Valdemossa where another branch of Cappuccino has opened up so had a coffee there. In my best Spanish I asked for dos cafes con leche y dos aguas con gas, only to find the waiter was English and said 'so, that's two coffees with milk and two sparkling waters' with a big grin cheeky boy!
We just went walkabout in PP at night for drinks and finished up at the Miramar.
Day 8 25th worst meal of the holiday, at Los Pescadores, which I had been keen to try after reading rave reviews and knowing it was closing down end of Oct. Against my husband's better judgement we went, it was really windy and cold so only inside was open. Had wanted to try the terrace but they had shut that down, probably due to a combination of weather and not as much trade. Altho there were only 3 other tables occupied, we waited 50mins for our main course of king prawns supposedly flambeed in brandy, of which there was no evidence, altho they were obviously fresh and very big. They came with salad in a separate bowl but no dressing or salt and pepper was offered til we had almost finished by which time there was no need. It was scruffy and shabby inside and not at all what I was expecting, the staff were pleasant but it just wasn't good I'm afraid. The only decent thing was the wine. The bill was the most expensive one apart from Stay and an absolute waste of money. My husband ranted and chuntered on for a good half hour about it once we had made a hasty exit, and observed that if a place is closing down there's usually a reason and not often a good one.
Day 9 26th lack of a receipt makes me think we went to Little Italy again but can't be sure and can't remember what we had!
Day 10 27th our tradition is to end our holiday at Stay on our last night so we did...tagliatelle with prawns in saffron sauce for us both, husband had steak, I had pork tenderloin with apples and calvados, we shared a pudding of tiramisu with ice-cream, had a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine, sparkling water and the usual on the house liquers. Can't find the bill but think it was 122 euros. If I'm totally honest the service wasn't as good as usual at times but then you think, eveywhere's entitled to an off night and the food was as good as ever so let's not whinge...
didn't get to try as many new places as I would have liked but there's always next year. We did fit in afternoon tea at the Illa D'or one day which was absolute heaven, will definitely go there more often. Oh, and one day we went to the old town and bought pastries at Il Giardino then went round to the cafe and ate them there with coffees, another enjoyable experience.
Sorry this is so long and apologies if I have gone on a bit!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 19:50

Hi Annie and welcome!

Always interesting reading an eating out report, thanks so much!

Remembering it all is a prob isn't it?

Noted your comments about Cappuccino in Andratx and Valdemossa.

Have tried the Palau March in Palma a couple of times and would recommend .

Grupo Cappuccino. Restaurants & Lounge cafes in Mallorca. Lunch & dinner in Mallorca. Cocktails Mallorca. Tapas Mallorca. Japanese food Mallorca. Bistro Mallorca. Drinks and very good music in Mallorca.

Thanks again

Porto
Old 01-11-2010, 20:29

I can totally sympathise with the hanging on to receipts to try and remember what you had! Then getting home and finding them all in Spanish anyway - why is this always a surprise? - and finding it too much of a problem to translate! Well done though, shame about los pescadores, but the rest seems to have made up for it!
Old 01-11-2010, 20:52

Annie,

Great reports , you certainly got around a bit !!!

Stop worrying about those receipts !!!!

You ain't an MP are you ???

BonysLad
Old 01-11-2010, 21:25

I use a little Olympus digital voice recorder which clips onto the inside of my shirt pocket. This mens I can spak normally whilst recording anything that attracts me. I then download it onto the computer when I get home as I always prepare a little write up, with photos, for my Grandson who always wants tales of our holidays.

jimsboy
Old 01-11-2010, 23:09

Crikey you lot are well organised ... receipts / personal recorders / note books ..... I'm well impressed

I just remember what I remember and go for the old " Cant remember what we had to eat but it was great" when I havn't a clue ......... but you will have all noticed that by now

Post was great by the way .... we were there at the same time but I don't think in same place at same time ......... interesting though that 2 of our normal favourites that we didn;t maag to get to this time were on your list .... Bar coral for the shoulder of lamb and of course Little Italy for the great Pizza's and wonderful eye candy for us ladies.

Last edited by its cd; 01-11-2010 at 23:12.
Old 01-11-2010, 23:50

The Tagliatelle with prawns at Stay is a life changing experience in my opinion....
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14

Great report Annie - oh, how it made me want to be back there!

You are so right about the value and quality of Stay if you stick to the set menu - Stay provided both highlights of our recent trip. Due to the size of the brandies (one free, one not) after the meals they are both a bit of a blur but I remember a fabulous turbot strudel - as good a starter as you'll get anywhere; some home-cured smoked salmon with horseradish cream that was just gorgeous; main courses also very good and the puddings beautifully presented. The whole experience is just so satisfying, especially if you can eat outside (which we did, even on an October evening - their patio heaters belt out tropical heat). I cannot think of a more lovely place to be.
Old 02-11-2010, 13:01

haha Bony'sLad, no not an MP, thanks goodness! Jimsboy, you are even more organised with a tape, might get mistaken for a food critic wearing it! cd, what eyecandy are you referring to? I quite like the waiter whose name escapes me but think he's German, is he a part-owner maybe, not sure?
thanks everyone for your comments btw.
Old 02-11-2010, 13:18
Banned

Excellent report annie. Great when people take the time to do it. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 13:48

Now what did I have for breakfast today ????
Old 02-11-2010, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy2007 View Post
Now what did I have for breakfast today ????
Snowy,

I warned you about moving into that cheap care home !!!.

In mine they bring you a big sign marked " Porridge " , " Corn Flakes" , "Toast" , " Boiled Eggs " etc so when the kids ring up I know exactly what I've eaten earlier .

Have a word , mate . Wouldn't cost a lot to introduce !!!!

BonysLad