Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 20:22

Default Scacco Matto Pizzeria (was picolo forno)

The new'old'Picolo Forno as mentioned in previous MamaMia threads has opened as promised, and the pizzas and puddings sre as great as ever
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 10:37

Thanks for keeping us updated on that one Ray, we will definately try it out at Easter.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48

We just found the menu limited - still the great range of pizzas and sweets but starters limited. Same waiter and 'oven man' - I ordered a bottle of the house red (without looking at the wine list so my fault) and found out the house wine in now Italian! Used to love the Faustino Tinto but as I said my fault. Understand from the waiter (part owner?) that they have secured the lease on the 'old' Picollo Forno and within a month are going to turn this into an Italian Pizza Parlour - tried to understand what this exactly meant but translation didn't work! Think it is going to be something like an Italian buffet - please let us know if anyone gets the accurate picture.

Edit> In fairness having read my post again the size of the restaurant/kitchen makes it impossible for them to have an extensive menu.

Last edited by Sun Properties; 02-03-2010 at 10:54. Reason: Original too harsh!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16

Maybe the smaller premises are going to be the takeaway part - I know lots of people got takeaways from the old Piccolo Forno. It was a bit disruptive sometimes, especially when the restaurant was busy, to have people coming in to collect takeaways.

Anyway, am delighted to hear that they are back in business. They are so good at what they do and deserve to be really successful. I'm glad also that they have kept the same waiter - if it's the guy I am thinking of, he is the world's hardest working waiter!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:50

Sorry should of said it is no longer Picollo Forno ..... it is Scacco Matto Pizzeria(chess piece ~ checkmate in Italian). Yes the waiter is the 'little guy' with curly hair. Unfortunately smoking is still allowed inside so given the size of the restaurant this can be off putting for some.

Last edited by Sun Properties; 02-03-2010 at 12:42.
Old 02-03-2010, 17:29

Think that will be me NOT going this easter then unfortunately. Will look in to see how busy it first perhaps.
Old 04-03-2010, 16:52

All set to give it a go when I am there at Easter until the words Smoking Allowed !!!!
I was a smoker many years ago but now it is accepted that all public areas in the UK are smoke free and I like it that way. Cannot abide trying to eat when someone is smoking.Drinking no problem but a restuarant. sorry no way... Can someone tell me what the law does and does not allow in Spain. I know some bar/restaurants have areas where they can smoke, others seem to do what they like.Are there any laws about
Smokin in bars/restaurants???
Old 04-03-2010, 17:09

Might change when next door comes into play or the outside 'terrace' is equipped.
Old 04-03-2010, 17:37
Banned

"Might change when next door comes into play or the outside 'terrace' is equipped."

Sorry, but what does that mean ??

I totally hate smoking as well, I thought the Spanish were going to ban it indoors ? Someone did tell me it was to be banned soon ???
Does anyone know atall ?
Old 04-03-2010, 17:42

Noticed this the other day:

No Smoking legislation to move forward in Spain in June

I wont believe it until it happens though.

Picolo Forno is one my favourite restaurants

Mark
Old 04-03-2010, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
"Might change when next door comes into play or the outside 'terrace' is equipped."
Sorry, but what does that mean ??
Read my earlier post .... the original Picollo Forno closed down and one of the waiters and the 'oven man' set up next door in the former deli and called their new place Scacco Matto. Having set up their new place the lease on the closed down restaurant bacame available and the waiter (owner?) told me that he had decided to 'go for it'. Those who know the former Picollo Forno will remember it had an outside dining/terrace area which I presume will be re-established (for smokers?) - back in a couple of weeks - I will take a look.
Old 04-03-2010, 20:57

It's the big restaurant next door which is now open, and they do have a no smoking area. It's not unusual for an Italian pizzeria to have Italian house wine! The previous allegedly done a runner owner was Mallorcan so thats probably where the faustino wine came from
Old 04-03-2010, 21:30

Wow that was quick .... Ray is Scacco Matto still open? My point re the house wime was that The Faustino Ribero was 9€ (and IMO good) where as the Italian house wine (average) was 13€.
Old 05-03-2010, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Properties View Post
Wow that was quick .... Ray is Scacco Matto still open? My point re the house wime was that The Faustino Ribero was 9€ (and IMO good) where as the Italian house wine (average) was 13€.
Yes,both are scacco matto and both are currently open, imagine they may revert to the little one in the extremes of winter1 Agree about the wine ,good wine and good price, my italian comment was tongur in cheek
Old 12-04-2010, 19:10

I've tried to find out the location and have found a street address for it. Looking on a street map of Pollensa it looks very close to the cockeral roundabout? I've stayed in a villa that is on the narrow track that eventually leads down to the beach at PP, from that cockeral roundabout.

So, if I head for that roundabout, would I see the restaurant from the main Pollensa road?