Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-04-2009, 11:07

Default Eating our way round PP Part 2

Sunday: Still no sun! But we're not going to let it get to us. We make our way to the paseo and notice that Corb Mari is unusually busy - a couple of tables of tourists and Spanish families enjoying a long Sunday lunch. Now, last time we went here it was a bit depressing, what with us being the only customers and the waiters looking as if the Mallorcan version of the P45 was imminent. This time they are most jovial, all smiles and the experience couldn't be more different. As always we get a delicious sausage as a complementary appetiser. They seem to have done away with the little free bowls of finely chopped onion and tomato, but as we never really knew what to do with them that's OK by us. The girls share a lovely mixed chargrilled kebab - loads of pork, beef and sausage - for husband it's a vast steak and for me five - yes, five! - lamb chops. Everyone helps me finish these off. The meat is the same fantastic quality as ever, accompanied by rice, vegetables and those gorgeous chips. This was the best meal we had in the port this year. And really good value - many restaurants have raised their prices, but not the Corb.

Monday: Sunshine! We resolve to eat outside to make the most of it. Several people on this forum have recommended Bodega d'es Port in Alcudia so off we go. Thank you, everyone - this was the best meal of our trip. Really fresh, authentic Mallorcan food. Sopa mallorquin for me - more cabbage than I'd normally eat in a fortnight, but none the worse for that - and prawns for husband, then grilled calamares for him and gilthead bream mallorcan style for me. He pronounced the squid to be 'incredibly tender - best I've had' and the enormous bream was cooked to perfection along with its accompanying spinach and potatoes. We will definitely be back. The only minor quibble is that the outside tables are next to a rather busy road, and that a particularly scary looking dog on a neighbouring balcony barked non-stop throughout the proceedings - but the food is so good I wouldn't let that deter me.

Tuesday: Our lovely babysitter gives us the chance to enjoy a rare romantic meal for two. We have an aperitif in the square in Pollensa that seemingly involves half a bottle of gin and almost finishes me off before the evening has begun. Never mind: we reel into a taxi and it's off to La Llonja. This time we are going for the (somewhat pricey) a la carte. We have a table overlooking the water, right next to the lobster tank. One of them waves its claws at us in a menacing (or perhaps imploring?) fashion. 'Let's have him!' we quip, drunkenly. Then we find out how much he costs. So it's calamares a la romana for him (husband, not lobster!), whitebait for me. Now, I've never had whitebait in Mallorca before - they're quite a bit bigger (and bonier) than the UK variety, but nonetheless tasty. There are too many for me though. We both opt for steak - which is very good, but not quite as good as the one we had last week in El Temple. Perhaps we should have chosen fish, as this is primarily a fish restaurant. But it's a fabulous venue for a special evening.

Wednesday: Blowing a bit of a gale today, so we go somewhere warm and cosy - it's back to Piccolo Forno. The girls share a pizza bolognese; veal with ham and cheese for me and pasta with prawns and spring vegetables for husband, followed by tiramisu and blackcurrant cheesecake. As always, delicious food in ample quantities. Can't recommend this place enough.

Thursday: A beautiful day - where better to go than La Victoria? I've noticed recent comments on this forum about the unfriendliness of the staff but they were charming to us. The little play area has been recently refurbished and is an absolute godsend. And what can you say about the surroundings... just amazing. The view from the ladies' loo must be one of the best in the world! We have a super lunch, sharing chipirones and a mixed salad to start and then
move on to stuffed aubergines (me) and lechona (him). He says this is 'as good as the Siller' - praise indeed. The girls have grilled chicken - very good. On a warm sunny day there is just nowhere better.

Friday: We are starting to get food fatigue. We promised the girls a Chinese if they were good all week so it's off to La Villa in PP for their MDD. Excellent hot and sour soup for the grown-ups, satay chicken and spring rolls for the girls. The satay tastes slightly strange, but nice: possibly it tastes more 'homemade' than our local Chinese in the UK? Then it's sweet and sour chicken and chow mein noodles for the girls, and chicken curry and squid in black bean sauce for us. The chicken is really succulent and as you'd expect in PP the squid is wonderfully fresh - no elastic bands here! This meal was amazing value at 8 euros and the Irish waitress can't do enough for us.

And that's it - until October! And we didn't even get to try Ca'n Andreu, or Tango, or visit our old favourites Posada d'Ariant, or the Siller - which, by the way, is now doing a lunchtime MDD for 13 or 14 euros during the week and 15 or 16 euros on Sundays - the menu looked pretty impressive. Can't remember them doing this before... a sign of the times.

Some general thoughts on the fortnight's eating: starters seem to have gone up in price a lot more than main courses - 10 euros for a starter is now pretty average. Drinks - particularly soft drinks - can also be surprisingly expensive, even in relatively inexpensive restaurants. Wine by the glass however is still massively cheaper than the UK, which is good news at lunchtime when you don't want a whole bottle. But we thought overall it was still good value for the quality of food and the level of service, especially if you avoid those restaurants which cater entirely for tourists. We only had one disappointing meal - Il Giardino on Good Friday - I'm sure if we ate out every day for a fortnight at a UK holiday resort, we couldn't say the same.
Sponsored Links
Old 30-04-2009, 11:42

Great post, Kate! Thanks very much, very useful & informative. Glad you had a good time. We will definitely be visiting some of those in summer.
Old 30-04-2009, 12:17

Thanks Kate - I very much enjoyed reading of your dining experiences. Always fancied trying Corb Mari but as you say it aint busy. I shold know better than to let that put me off after visiting O Lume.
Old 30-04-2009, 13:37

Fantastic post Kate, really enjoyed it. Thanks for all the information - I'm really looking forward to trying some of your recommendations especially Piccolo Forno when we stay in the old town this summer.

Linda
Old 30-04-2009, 13:51

I enjoy reading other people's restaurant likes and dislikes. We have eaten a Corb Mari a few times and found the waiters to be friendly and indeed we named one of them the singing waiter, as he would be singing when approaching you to take your order.
Old 30-04-2009, 15:13
Founder

Thank you Kate - yet another great trip report!
Old 30-04-2009, 15:14
Super Moderator

Great review Kate thank you for sharing it with us.
Old 30-04-2009, 16:33

Kate,

Wonderful reviews, concise but so informative. Agree re starter prices but no stigma attached to sharing which is what we often do.

Glad also that Picolo is getting the recognition it deserves, we'll be heading there again tomorrow evening after a day in Palma for one of their delicious pastas.

Thanks again

BonysLad