Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Ca'n Josep (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/11925-can-josep.html)

Belladonna 23-03-2015 10:57

I totally agree with all "service" dogs being allowed inside all establishments, although I do agree that other pets ~ including goats (!) ~ are made welcome in outside areas i.e. gardens, terraces etc and kept an eye on there. As others have said, I am sure Josep and Lucie will be quite upset to realise they have made this mistake. I wonder if it could have been made by one of the new waiters who are as yet unaware of the law? They will surely know it now!! :rolleyes:

Satori 23-03-2015 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belladonna (Post 101494)
I totally agree with all "service" dogs being allowed inside all establishments, although I do agree that other pets ~ including goats (!) ~ are made welcome in outside areas i.e. gardens, terraces etc and kept an eye on there. As others have said, I am sure Josep and Lucie will be quite upset to realise they have made this mistake. I wonder if it could have been made by one of the new waiters who are as yet unaware of the law? They will surely know it now!! :rolleyes:

Actually it was a waiter, but he wasen´t sure what to say, and went to ask someone he described as :"the boss". :rolleyes: He came back after a while, with a: "Sorry, but no." :(
I can´t be sure who he has been talking to. But hope to spread some education/awareness, through this forum. :)

Sparky 23-03-2015 12:31

It is such a shame that this has happened to you Satori, the bars/restaurants in PP are usually so helpful to disabled people. I do know a young, disabled local lad who has a service dog and am sure his parents would be horrified if this happened to them :(.

SallyLizzy50 23-03-2015 13:19

CanJosep

my husband and I visited Puerto Pollensa in Feb. We tried Can Josep and loved the new venue. Very friendly staff, the food was superb and I am looking forward to our next visit at the end of
I apologise if I have pit this on the wrong thread I will get better.

mike_dublin 23-03-2015 13:41

More info on this website -
Assistance Dogs International : Spain

"Spain
In Spain guide dogs are accepted by law everywhere, ..."

Legislation for Guide Dogs -
Documentos Normativos. Legislación. El perro guía
(the last one 'LEY 1-2014 PERROS ASISTENCIA BALEARES EN CASTELLANO'seems to apply to Majorca)

pollensa 23-03-2015 14:38

It does appear that the recognised term for these are 'Assistance Dogs' or in Spanish "perros de asistencia".

As mike_dublin has pointed out there are laws for Guide Dogs in Spain and some areas of Spain also have specific laws for 'assistance dogs' as well e.g. Catalonia (see http://www.assistancedogsinternation...Castellano.pdf ) .

Such a shame that this should happen. :mad:

clinkham 23-03-2015 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate1 (Post 101487)
I think you are right and more places in the UK are allowing dogs inside to eat - in fact I encountered that this morning in Suffolk, where a very well-behaved labrador was sitting underneath a table in an establishment where it wasn't allowed a year ago, according to its owners.. I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with it though, as long as the dogs are not barking or annoying other people. It's not a hygiene hazard - probably far less so than human patrons of the restaurant using the loo and not washing their hands - all the dogs are doing is sitting there on the floor, by and large minding their own business, so how is it worse than a child being there? Children are pretty grubby beings and frankly far more irritating in terms of noise levels (and I speak as someone that has two children).

How do you get a Labrador to not beg for food in such a situation. I'm on my third one and all have had the same problem regarding food. I know, I know - it's they way you bring 'em up:)

Chains1972 23-03-2015 22:50

Hello Satori,

First of all, I want to apologize about the mistake. I was surprised this morning when I read on the forum about your experience. I did ask my waiter about it, he says he didn't know anything about your MS husband problem. He came last Sunday to ask me about if is allowed to go into the restaurant with a Labrador dog, that was the only question he did ask me, and as you can understand, with this information, I told him to apologize with you but we couldn't allow to come into the restaurant with dogs because can be a problem for the rest of the people.
Of course, if I know anything about your husband's MS, I will be the first person to help you and suply you all your needs. As I say, sorry again for the mistake, and we will invite you to come and visit us and you will be very welcome.
Kind regards,
Josep

Belladonna 23-03-2015 23:09

Totally what I had thought had happened, and the response I had expected! Always professional.

Disorderly 24-03-2015 00:24

As you say, precisely the outcome I'd have expected.....an unfortunate misunderstanding. I've always found a simple solution to instances like this - always ask to speak directly to the decision-maker. Such a shame this family had this unfortunate experience, but to the collective relief of all C'an Josep fans, an understandable mistake apologised for with genuine humility.

mwc 24-03-2015 10:27

Nothing less than I would have expected from Josep & staff, always first class as far as my experiences :)

Georgiebear 24-03-2015 10:51

This makes me so happy Joseps is our favourite restaurant and spent nearly all our nights or mornings there whilst in PP last May, as we stay at that end of the Port the walk is about the same as it was to the old restaurant, we are now counting down the days (65) till we can have dinner in the new restaurant which I expect will be the first night! I'm hungry already😄

Satori 24-03-2015 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chains1972 (Post 101527)
Hello Satori,

First of all, I want to apologize about the mistake. I was surprised this morning when I read on the forum about your experience. I did ask my waiter about it, he says he didn't know anything about your MS husband problem. He came last Sunday to ask me about if is allowed to go into the restaurant with a Labrador dog, that was the only question he did ask me, and as you can understand, with this information, I told him to apologize with you but we couldn't allow to come into the restaurant with dogs because can be a problem for the rest of the people.
Of course, if I know anything about your husband's MS, I will be the first person to help you and suply you all your needs. As I say, sorry again for the mistake, and we will invite you to come and visit us and you will be very welcome.
Kind regards,
Josep

Apology accepted with no reservations. I had no doubt, it all was a stupid misunderstanding. When I think back, I can see that the waiter might not have known what I was talking about when I said handicap assistance dog/servicedog. But happy that all is cleared. Thank you for your reply Josep.:)

Satori 24-03-2015 11:46

HaHaa

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkham (Post 101513)
How do you get a Labrador to not beg for food in such a situation. I'm on my third one and all have had the same problem regarding food. I know, I know - it's they way you bring 'em up:)

Well Clinkham, as Tom says: If I drop the napkin, I have no doubt that Mojo will pick it up and give it to me, but if I drop a sausage, I am not as confident. :D

Sparky 24-03-2015 12:08

I thought it might be useful for restaurant owners to see what the vests for service/assistance dogs look like then hopefully this misunderstanding won't happen again. Here are a couple of examples :-

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8723/...c858fbb1d3.jpgIMG_1653 by lyn.sparkes, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8723/...3f1b62ba6e.jpgil_fullxfull.400998335_1woi by lyn.sparkes, on Flickr