Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Wine and More Wine

Wine and More Wine A forum hosted by Jane to teach us about the finer things in life...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2010, 15:05

Ray is correct re. there being little differentiation in Spain and Mallorca between champagne and cava - in fact, have ordered 'champagne' in a restaurant in the past and been given cava (didn't bother me, especially when it came to the bill!)
Now it would never occur to me to order anything other than cava.

Personally I think good cava is every bit as drinkable as a lot of champagne. I would also take issue with the assertion that Spanish brandy is necessarily worse than cognac - again it's a matter of cost, as well as taste, and there are some lovely Spanish brandies - Suau springs to mind (think that's how you spell it). Restaurants obviously tend to give you the cheap ones as a 'freebie' at the end of the evening but if you ask (and pay for) a better alternative there is plenty of choice.

I also like the fact that the Spanish aren't in the least pretentious in their attitude to wine - whoops, have just offended all the francophiles out there - witness the atmosphere at the recent Pollensa wine festival. Now, if that had been in France it would have been a much more sombre and less enjoyable affair...
Sponsored Links
Old 21-05-2010, 15:11

Sorry, should have pointed out that Suau is not only Spanish but in fact Mallorcan - even better! Definitely up there with most French brandies.
Old 21-05-2010, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
Ray is correct re. there being little differentiation in Spain and Mallorca between champagne and cava - in fact, have ordered 'champagne' in a restaurant in the past and been given cava (didn't bother me, especially when it came to the bill!)
Now it would never occur to me to order anything other than cava.

Personally I think good cava is every bit as drinkable as a lot of champagne. I would also take issue with the assertion that Spanish brandy is necessarily worse than cognac - again it's a matter of cost, as well as taste, and there are some lovely Spanish brandies - Suau springs to mind (think that's how you spell it). Restaurants obviously tend to give you the cheap ones as a 'freebie' at the end of the evening but if you ask (and pay for) a better alternative there is plenty of choice.

I also like the fact that the Spanish aren't in the least pretentious in their attitude to wine - whoops, have just offended all the francophiles out there - witness the atmosphere at the recent Pollensa wine festival. Now, if that had been in France it would have been a much more sombre and less enjoyable affair...
Agree on all points Kate, Suau is excellent in a warm glass. The whole thing re wine is simply a matter of taste. salut
Old 21-05-2010, 22:30

Hey Lollipop - I have fond memories of Don Simeone but thankfully have moved on a bit since then
Old 21-05-2010, 23:40

GG what do you know about wine anyway

On island time!!
Old 22-05-2010, 00:42

Ive got to agree with Rob and Donna. There is only one Champangne and cava doesnt come close to it. Diff grapes etc and diff regions. Cava is a cheap substitute for it. But i'm not a big Champers fan anyway. Give me a big full bodied red anyday (Chateauneuf Du pape will do for starters ) But a wine is only what you make of it. If champers is your thing, then good on you. Gia want champagne, and no cheap alternative is going to do. Sooooo, getting back to the question, where is the best place to buy it?

Last edited by jiggggy; 22-05-2010 at 01:03.