Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Wine and More Wine (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/wine-more-wine/)
-   -   Champagne (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/wine-more-wine/5998-champagne.html)

gia 16-05-2010 11:44

Champagne

Hi

Does anyone know the best place to get good champage in Puerto Pollensa ?

Gx

JH02JLH 16-05-2010 12:25

Ensenat in Pollensa town sell champagne and a range of very good wines.

jiggggy 16-05-2010 19:32

Celebrating gia? Tell us more, we're a nosey lot :)

Gommar Goffer 16-05-2010 22:45

Why bother with champagne gia? get yourself down to Can Vidalet and pick up a bottle of local fizz (Methode Traditionel) direct from the vineyard

Cocoa07 17-05-2010 12:01

Totally agree Gommar Goffer. There are some fantastic cavas which are delicious.

sws97sdg 17-05-2010 12:31

I agree, why drink Champagne when you can drink Cava which is cheaper and better imho

gia 18-05-2010 17:38

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The idea of the champayne is cos it is for a big celebration.

But the Cava sounds good. Can I get that locally at a supermarket of off license ?

Gx

Sparky 18-05-2010 19:44

Yes Gia, the supermarkets have a good selection.

ray 20-05-2010 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by gia (Post 43805)
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The idea of the champayne is cos it is for a big celebration.

But the Cava sounds good. Can I get that locally at a supermarket of off license ?

Gx

cava is champagne it's just the French don't want the name used for what is essentially the same product. Champagne is overpriced and imo cava is mucch much better anywhere. Finally all of my Spanish friends always refer to cava as champagne. You can get it in supermarkets but its not stored well so best in somewhere like Ensenat. Salut!

RobnAnna 20-05-2010 23:45

Cava is nothing like champagne apart from the bubbles.The grape varieties used are also different ie chardonnay and pinot blanc being the two main varieties used to make champagne.Still fun to drink either though.Not so long ago people in Spain called there brandy cognac,again simply no comparison.

Gommar Goffer 21-05-2010 10:14

Yes - gone are the days of Spanish white burgundy etc!

Grape varieties for cava are usually Macabeo, Xarel-lo and Parellada with a little Chardonnay now permitted.

whaleywanderer 21-05-2010 10:15

Champagne Sangria

Talking of champagne............. On a previous visit we sampled champagne sangria and it was absolutely delicious and so refreshing on a hot day (you could drink it like pop!!! hic!!), does anybody know the recipe, whether it's made with the real stuff or perhaps cava or the likes?

C'mon Sparky, you have lots of contacts in the trade.;)

Sparky 21-05-2010 10:54

LOL Whaley, this is a difficult one because the places that make their own sangria all use their own recipes which they keep very close to their chests. So i honestly don't know but if i did and i told you, i would have to kill you ;);).
Just for the record i don't drink the stuff.

ray 21-05-2010 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob and donna (Post 43961)
Cava is nothing like champagne apart from the bubbles.The grape varieties used are also different ie chardonnay and pinot blanc being the two main varieties used to make champagne.Still fun to drink either though.Not so long ago people in Spain called there brandy cognac,again simply no comparison.

You`ll be telling us next that there's only one champagne and it all tastes the same:D

lollipop 21-05-2010 15:04

My girls use the Don Simeone carton and add Cava to it. Tastes fine for them,me don't drink it so can't comment.